Equipment you woudl like top see developed.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jasmay

Equipment you woudl like top see developed.

#1 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:06 am

I thought I might add this topic to discuss the types and designs of new and existing equipment you might liek to see on the mound or in the reloading room.

Have somethign you have always wanted to see produced, let us knwo about it.

I think input here could be a valuable way to see ideas of equipment advances possibly become a reality.

Who's first? I bet Johnk has a few ideas.....

DenisA

#2 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

I want to see someone make a collett style web sizing die for when primer pockets loosen up.

jasmay

#3 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am

DenisA wrote:I want to see someone make a collett style web sizing die for when primer pockets loosen up.

Could be a useful tool Dennis, I wonder if there woudl be any increased risk with resizing the base? Porbably no more than the functions we already carryout.

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:10 pm

jasmay,
I would like to see spotting scopes with a reticule, preferably marked in moa.
I think this would be very useful for coaching, particularly in light of recent discussions re mirage.
also, seeing what the shooter sees would be good.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

jasmay

#5 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm

I just noticed how terrible my touch typing is :cry: #-o

Time to Proof read my posts....

DaveMc

#6 Postby DaveMc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:07 pm

flatlina

#7 Postby flatlina » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:43 pm

DenisA wrote:I want to see someone make a collett style web sizing die for when primer pockets loosen up.

Back when we were shooting .40 cal pistols a lot of the brass came from the coppers who were using Glocks. This resulted in the bases being oversize. What we did was push them thru a taper crimp die backwards. There is a special die and brass collector available. Also the NT coppers have a special amchine that vibrates the cases around and into a set of rollers that swage the base down. Once I new they had this I never did it the old way. Not too sure if it would tighten the primer pocket up tho.

Regards
jb

Chris S

#8 Postby Chris S » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Loose primer pockets are natures way of telling you that
your brass has reached it's use by date. Chuck it!

cheers,
Chris
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

aaronraad

#9 Postby aaronraad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 pm

I'll start with:

1. Unformed straight cases without a headstamp, like Bertram Brass does for the big-bore calibres, but the smaller calibre cases 5.7x28mm FN to 300WSM.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

aaronraad

#10 Postby aaronraad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Is this similar to what you envisage...possibly another tool makers nightmare?

http://www.larrywillis.com/
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

DenisA

#11 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 pm

aaronraad wrote:

Is this similar to what you envisage...possibly another tool makers nightmare?

http://www.larrywillis.com/

Not quite what I'm thinking Aaron.

Chris, with all the things we can do to enhance the longevity of our brass, it seems wasteful to have to turf brass because primer pockets are loosening off. Especially when the brass looks so good, stays consistent with the rest of its batch and there's zero thinning in head wall thickness.

Cameron Mc

#12 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Denis, many years ago when 6mm PPC brass (220 Russian) was extra precious, some used cigarette paper between the primer and pocket.
Can't remember if this worked.

Cam

DenisA

#13 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:Denis, many years ago when 6mm PPC brass (220 Russian) was extra precious, some used cigarette paper between the primer and pocket.
Can't remember if this worked.

Cam

LOL Cam, I'm not that desperate.. If there were such a die and it didn't take much to extra to rejuve old brass, I reckon people would use it.

johnk

#14 Postby johnk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Denis,

This issue has been raised on another site I frequent.

It seems to be that while the case wall above the web can be constricted, eg pushing .308 head sized cases right though .45 ACP carbide dies with a custom ram tool, that doesn't repair primer pocket damage. As you suggest, it's the web area below that's the issue.

There have been several anvil & punch devices manufactured, all of which essentially pein in the pocket to something approaching the minor diameter of the punch (which is maybe SAAMI pocket diameter), or just burr the rim in somewhat. The concern expressed is that all of these might suit an anal casual shooter who inherited his cases from his grandfather, but they offer neither precision nor consistency.

If a shooter has walked only a tad on the wild side with his loads, cases can sometimes be reused with primers of a larger diameter. For example, the Russian LR primers that were sold through PMC were generally cursed because they were more difficult to seat because of their diameter. The QRA Q Store still has the odd few thousand.

However, like death is nature's way of telling you to slow down, enlarged pockets usually indicate an excessive lack of caution.

John

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks John, but my loads are all run lighter than most do as I have a sick fetish for trying to extend barrel life.

I'm extremely cautious and podantic in everything I do reloading including monitoring for pressure signs.

The .284 Lapua case demise are due to the problem batch numbers that have been raised in other threads and the .300wsm Norma cases are just a given after 10+ reloads of a magnum.

The die was just an idea in response to the OP. Its not a current affair thats eating away at me.

Though I have been wondering how the 30-284 goes with loosening primer pockets seeing as the .284's do it easily with 180's?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”