Cleaning Inside Cases - Worth Doing?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

#16 Postby IanP » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:47 pm

johnk wrote:Toddled off to the local Jaycar to look at their cleaner. None in stock - the floor stock was handed out on warranty returns. Hmmmm!

Hornady Magnum cleaners sell for $280 at SARA. http://www.riflesa.asn.au/price_lists/care.htm

These were not available when I got mine from Jaycar. Mine's been used now for over years and still going strong. The Hornady Magnum also has a water heater so its excellent value.

Ian

ecomeat

#17 Postby ecomeat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 am

I got one of these off ebay for about $239-00 in August last year and it is a fantastic Ultrasonic unit.
All stainless, beautifully made, up to 99 minutes on the timer, a 300W heater etc etc. Dealer was in Brisbane and had it in 2 or 3 days. It seems like genuine "industrial quality" compared to some of the pretty plastic units that i have seen.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-6-0L-CAP ... OC:AU:3160
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

DaveMc

#18 Postby DaveMc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 pm

For 900/1000 yard shooting I use newly fireformed brass (2nd firing or 3rd firing. If in absence of this I will clean inside/outside the cases with ss media (yes it rounds the mouth so trim and chamfer after this) or ultrasonic would do. and anneal.

For <800 yards I do nothing so can potentially get by with normal shooting regime of very little cleaning and annealing by using newer brass at the longs and good record keeping/systems.

Some figures for your amusement. As part of our case capacity/ weight/ velocity analysis I cleaned some cases that had been fired 10 times. Carbon build up was between 50-125 mg in each (0.7 to 1.9 grains) and quite variable. Does this make a difference???? - Our best 1000 yard groups were on 1st, 2nd or 3rd firings. Old brass was hard to get going to the same level but still capable of reasonable results. I shot handful of brilliant groups at 1000 yards with the brass "renewed" with this process- whether it was the annealing or cleaning or just a statistical anomaly I am not game to say for sure yet.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”