Dud barrel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Dud barrel

#1 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm

After todays efforts Im at the end of my tether with this 7mm barrel. Have tried everything I can think of. This last load looked worth further work at 900m when I shot it last, but at 300m it had vertical, 500m with tuner adjusted it had bad vertical, 600m adjusted again it shot the first 4 shots beautiful. Then out popped a low 4, and I consistently had to hold higher and higher to keep it in the group. Yep vertical. Projectiles, powder, jam, jump, moly, naked, tried them all. Im getting nothing good out of it. Have put a 700gr dampener/tuner on it and it does change the group shape, but sadly its not stopping the horrible vertical this is giving me. Its nearly 800 rounds now, copper fouls (why I need moly) is cleaned to steel each time (borescoped).

So Im at the point where its going to be put back as a fireforming barrel and I move on, however Im just going to ask the question, is it worth a rechamber to 29/28 inches and refresh the crown (which is flashing fine anyway) just to try, or is generally a non responsive barrel just something to forget about and move on?

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Barrel, fitting & components down it, it's cost you how much so far? $1000? $1200? Or more?

Surely that answers your question.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 pm

$750 barrel
$300 fitting
$300 tuner
$100 recrown

Components... Over $700

Maybe just an extended borescope session and a rechamber wil do... will leave the crown I think.

I just hope the next barrel isnt the same... theres always the possibility :shock:

Norm

#4 Postby Norm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Brad,
Have you checked for some of the other things it could be?
ie crook scope, loose rail screws, bedding issues etc.
If so, it sounds like a barrel stress issue as it heats up.

I wonder if there is anywhere in Australia where you can get your barrel cryo frozen. From what I have read, this is suppose to stress free barrels and help accuracy?

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:03 pm

I put the scope onto my dasher straight after. Shot, wound 4 minutes and it it responded. Wound up 1 and it responded. Wound back 1 and it was overlapping the previous shot.

Everything on the scope/action is tight and is fine. There is no bedding, its a barrel block setup and the barrel isnt moving in the block. I can screw in a different caliber barrel and the setup responds beautifully on this rifle.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 am

Brad,

I've had 2 or 3 Barrels that just never got going. One of them I persisted with until about 1200 rounds, and I now regret not abandoning it sooner. If you've tried a variety of projectiles, and have not had at least a few very good shoots out of it after 800 rounds, then fire-forming might be the best thing for it. Its just a fact of life that some barrels are much easier to get going than others, and it can probably happen with any brand. My worst one was a Krieger too, a 6.5mm 8 twist, but that was one out of 8 Kriegers. I have a Maddco .308 that got about 250 up before being suspended from active duty and now have a 7mm TF that is very close to wearing out my patience and it hasn't done 500 rounds. Its a lottery, and for every shooter who is lucky with barrels, there is another not so lucky.

Of course there are some who will tell you that they can get any barrel going. Maybe they can, but for us mortals, better to know when enough's enough.

PS. I haven't had a dud Broughton or Bartlein, but alas have only had one of each :D .

Alan

lewis reynolds

#7 Postby lewis reynolds » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:38 am

Maybe give cryogen industries in Melbourne they did 2 barrels for me for 100 dollars for both very quick turn around.

DaveMc

#8 Postby DaveMc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:40 am

AlanF wrote:Brad,

I've had 2 or 3 Barrels that just never got going. One of them I persisted with until about 1200 rounds, and I now regret not abandoning it sooner. If you've tried a variety of projectiles, and have not had at least a few very good shoots out of it after 800 rounds, then fire-forming might be the best thing for it. Its just a fact of life that some barrels are much easier to get going than others, and it can probably happen with any brand. My worst one was a Krieger too, a 6.5mm 8 twist, but that was one out of 8 Kriegers. I have a Maddco .308 that got about 250 up before being suspended from active duty and now have a 7mm TF that is very close to wearing out my patience and it hasn't done 500 rounds. Its a lottery, and for every shooter who is lucky with barrels, there is another not so lucky.

Of course there are some who will tell you that they can get any barrel going. Maybe they can, but for us mortals, better to know when enough's enough.

PS. I haven't had a dud Broughton or Bartlein, but alas have only had one of each :D .

Alan

+1

Paul Janzso

#9 Postby Paul Janzso » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:12 am

Have you tryed slugging the barrel? When you have cleaned it try pushing a slug through it.
There may be a tight or loose spot.
A friend was pulling his hair out trying to get a 308 barrel going. He tryed pushing a slug through the barrel and hey presto a tight spot 6" from the muzzle.
Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions, will talk to a few gunsmiths at the shoot today and see what they say.

Matt P

#11 Postby Matt P » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 am

Brad
When was the last time the firing pin (spring) was replaced, reason I ask I had a similar issue once with a 6.5, I tried everything I could think of, new barrel, scope, stock, bullets powder etc, and I could never get a 6.5 barrel to shot, stick a 6mm or 308 barrel in and presto, I could get a group, out of desperation I changed the firing pin ass, and it all came good.
Just a thought.
Matt P

aaronraad

#12 Postby aaronraad » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I certainly wouldn't do as much work as you did Brad.

I'd do one of two things.

Suck it up, put it down as a learning experience and never speak of 'that barrel' again; or

Send it back (all the way to barrel manufacturer if need be) and get a satisfactory explanation as to why it's your problem and not theirs. If it is their problem you should be entitled to a replacement or a refund within a reasonable time-frame.

My decision would be based on either: I was never able to get the barrel to shoot; or there had been some sudden change in accuracy I couldn't explain.

The more time shooters spend trying to get a dud barrel to work, the less time others in the supply chain will take any responsibility. Maybe barrel manufacturers have to stop supplying just anyone and start to approve gunsmiths, armourers, distributor etc to fit barrels to their specification and take responsibility to investigate and resolve issues when they arise.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Seddo

#13 Postby Seddo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:59 pm

How about moly?
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Malcolm Hill

#14 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Brad Y
Maybe do as Paul suggests and slug the barrel while it is torqued up in the barrel block. There is a possibility that the block is causing barrel dimensions to change or is bending the barrel when tensioned. It may not do this on your other barrels depending on their machining measurements. It would be interesting to screw the poor performing barrel into another conventionally bedded rifle and see how it shoots.
Regards Malcolm.

Brad Y

#15 Postby Brad Y » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Matt- still the factory pin spring approx 1600 rounds old. Dont have any issue with the other 6.5mm barrel.

Seddo- yep tried it. Helped control the copper fouling I feel and the gun did group but not small enough to be any threat in any competition.

Malcolm- you raise a good point. I do have another stock with a v block it could fit into however I have concerns holding a 30 inch 1.25 barrel from a pierce action as its only a short tenon. The barrel is a tighter fit in the block compared to the other barrel. It could get linished down further I guess but I think the money could be better used for another barrel. You have me thinking though... I wont try to get rid of it just yet, and will try some more but its got 80 rounds to do something special, thats all the moly coated hybrids I have left which it performs the best with so far.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”