Neck turning a 2nd time?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

Neck turning a 2nd time?

#1 Postby Tim N » Mon May 26, 2014 11:11 am

Hi All,
Can this be done sucessfully after fireforming?
If so what is the best method?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

DenisA

#2 Postby DenisA » Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 am

Definitely, I always like to turn necks initially after 2 good firings anyway. Majority don't bother with that.

The cases need to be FLS with a FLS die that is not a bushing style. The necks then needs to be expanded using an expander mandrel that suits your neck turning mandrel. If the cases have donut issues like the Lapua .284, then I prefer to cycle the expander a few times on each case to encourage the donut to the O.D. All of the cases need to be trimmed to length, the mouth should be chamfered and de-burred and then the neck turning process can begin.

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Mon May 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the reply.
I will give it a go.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

plumbs7

#4 Postby plumbs7 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Tim , also might mention that it can be dangerous if u take too much of the neck eg 3 thou max clearance between neck chamber and neck case .
For a no turn neck all u are looking for is to take no more than 80% of the neck. So u can still see 20-40% of the dull original brass. A tight neck is near rocket science to work out and usually looking for a clearance .0005 thou clearance .
I haven't seen any advantage for a tight neck chamber yet ! But that's another debate !

Back on topic . The theory behind doing it on a no turn neck is
1 helps minimise neck runout .
2. Makes the neck even thickness around the circumference . Thus giving even expansion after ignition . Thus not yawning the projectile and keeping it straight . Also clean the soot of the outside of ur necks with scotch brite .
As this tiny little bit of soot is enough to induce huge neck run out and kill any accuracy u did have .
There are other tricks which I can't give out as it just gives me the edge on my competition . Give u a hint , primer porting that improves standard deviations . If u have a good load , it will improve ur extreme spreads . Looks like it worked for one of my good mates. ( you know who u are!😉 lol)
GS .

Return to “Equipment & Technical”