Annealing Alternative

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Pete N

Annealing Alternative

#1 Postby Pete N » Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 pm

G'day All

Not wanting to jump on Plumb7 (Graham's) post on annealing, are there alternatives to annealing using oxy?

I've recently come across info on annealing, one method using candles and the other molten lead. The candle process, as far as I understand, involves setting a lighted candle on the bench and while holding the case about a third of the way from the base to the neck, twirling the case in your fingers whilst holding the neck and shoulder over the flame until you feel heat in your fingers, then lay the case on a wet cloth to cool naturally. When cooled, wipe off the candle black.

The other method of dipping the neck and shoulders of each case into molten lead until the heat rises to your holding fingers. I've two problems with this method. One is breathing in the lead fumes, and second is the chance of leaving a little lead inside the case.

I've used the first method on Lapua .223 cases that were fired 15 times and now they have been fired 20 times, without losing one out of a batch of 50. I also shoot .308 with Lapua cases.

I use Redding bushing neck dies mostly and resize when needed.

The question is, is it worth annealing with this method, or is it a load of codswallop/urban myth? I don't want to keep doing this if it is a waist of time. I only shoot the above mild cases. I'm a cheatskate - can't see the need for an annealing machine.

Any other methods out there?

Regards and happy trails

Pete N

Barry Davies

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Mon May 26, 2014 4:24 pm

You would not get sufficient heat from a candle to anneal brass cases. You need at least 650 degrees F for several minutes. ( taking care not to heat the case past the shoulder) Burnt fingers would be the result.
Best to purchase a proper case annealing furnace if you must anneal.

plumbs7

#3 Postby plumbs7 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Pete , I think it's not necessary unless ur chasing that extra centre x in f open . A good gauge is when u feel the primer pockets not seating as well as they used . Time to get new brass. There are a lot of tricks like neck turning and primer porting etc that are of more benifet . If u look at one of my good mates (shooter McReid ) score at Warwick 90.10 out of 90 500 yds They weren't even fireformed cases and as he said he had 7 th runout on the necks ! So should u anneal ! Only if ur rifle likes it ! I've done the mistake three times and I keep forgetting about it . Last time was the Nats last year when I was getting vertical at the longer ranges and in part to using a Harris bi pod . That brass did come back eventually !

I think more important to conserntrate on exceptional wind reading skills and good ammo as well . But annealing I don't know about it if f standard.
I hope this is a bit of encouragement !
Regards Graham .
Ps I'm still learning all about it myself 😎

aaronraad

#4 Postby aaronraad » Mon May 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Don't you love induction heating.

...when you don't have a heart condition.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Pete N

#5 Postby Pete N » Tue May 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Aaron - I have one of the those heaters somewhere in my shed. Maybe I'll dig it out and give it a whirl.............hhhhmmmmmmm.............then again, maybe not!

Barry/Graham - I've come to the conclusion if the methods I've listed were any good, then everybody would be onto it. I'm a bit slow. Mother always said I was "special"....????

I'll just continue to use my brass until they show signs of breakdown. In the meantime, I'll neck size with bushing dies, use body dies when sticky, keep them polished and trimmed. See how long they last - save money and buy new ones.

Sorry for tyre kicking

Regards and happy trails

Pete N

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey mate , don't be sorry , like I've said before I'm no expert or crack shot( maybe crap shot lol! ) I'm still learning . I just think we can get to in involved in gadgets and metheds. And forget what really gets the 6 rings . Seriously if u can shoot at least 10 mm groups or better at 100m and have a standard deviation into 8 or better . You've got a match winning rifle right there. Small holes at 100m serve well at 1000yds . Point is in great conditions I see shooters pop really good scores like right up there. Then soon as the wind really blows , they are no where near the top. The best windreader with the gun tuned in the most and a bit of luck will win the match . Don't forget the basics as gadgets and superfluous techniques won't win when the wind starts to howl. Kind regards Graham S .

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Sat May 31, 2014 8:43 am

plumbs7 wrote: I just think we can get to in involved in gadgets and metheds. And forget what really gets the 6 rings .

I have a theory that the number of operations "required" to produce good ammunition increases to fill the time available. The only cases I anneal are 7.62 Nagant. I use Winchester brass for MR and F/TR and it's the primer pockets that give out. I lose the occasional ADI case with a split neck but I shot factory ammo for a few years and at the current attrition rate I'll be around 120 before I start to run out!! :lol:

Barry

Pete N

#8 Postby Pete N » Sat May 31, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks again Graham

I'm 59, lucky enough to have retired at 55. I've plenty of time to think about these things - too much time it would appear. Will not be annealing now. Just shooting the .223 and .308 downrange and replace cases when necessary.

My next great idea is shooting FO. Thinking 6mm - 6br, dasher, 6xc or 6x47. Will use the Rem700, although the bolt face will have to be opened up. But this project will not be right now - maybe 6-12 months in the future.

Like I said, too much time on my hands.

Regards and happy trails

Pete N
Last edited by Pete N on Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 am

bsouthernau wrote:the number of operations "required" to produce good ammunition increases to fill the time available.

I like that. It fits with "the length a stock needs to be is ¼" longer than you just cut it to."

KHGS

#10 Postby KHGS » Sat May 31, 2014 9:20 am

johnk wrote:
bsouthernau wrote:the number of operations "required" to produce good ammunition increases to fill the time available.

I like that. It fits with "the length a stock needs to be is ¼" longer than you just cut it to."

Yep, aint that the truth!!! :D

plumbs7

#11 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 am

Pete N wrote:Thanks again Graham

I'm 59, lucky enough to have retired at 55. I've plenty of time to think about these things - too much time it would appear. Will not be annealing now. Just shooting the .223 and .308 downrange and replace cases when necessary.

My next great idea is shooting FO. Thinking 6mm - 6br, dasher, 6xc or 6x47. Will use the Rem700, although the bolt face will have to be opened up. But this project will not be right now - maybe 6-12 months in the future.

Like I said, too much time on my hands.

Regards and happy trails

Pete N

Hi Tim , I hope I suffer the same fate at 55.

All I can say is "go the rem! 700".
There's something challenging and deeply satisfying when u can get a mag fed factory action to shoot just as well. If not better than a Barnard !
Kind regards Graham S .

Return to “Equipment & Technical”