VLD or Hybrids

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Phil D

VLD or Hybrids

#1 Postby Phil D » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:59 am

Hi a 7MM question what the difference between VLD and Hybrids.
I've try a few Hybrid in my good barrel and can't see the difference between them. ???

Phil D

Quick

#2 Postby Quick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 am

I don't have a 7mm yet but the main difference is the tunability of the bullet from the guys I've seen here run them. Hybrids can be finicky to tune. I know the 6mm is in my 6x47L. Im trying VLD first in my 7mm.

To me, taking longer to tune a load negates the advantage of them. Cant practice as much with your comp load.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

IanP

Re: VLD or Hybrids

#3 Postby IanP » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:51 am

Phil D wrote:Hi a 7MM question what the difference between VLD and Hybrids.
I've try a few Hybrid in my good barrel and can't see the difference between them. ???

Phil D

As far as accuracy is concerned, both are extremely accurate, its just a small BC gain with the hybrids. I would not change over to hybrids until I used my stocks of Vld's up. I'm with you and have found there is no gain in accuracy and seating them with a 15 thou jam seems about perfect in my chamber.

I also choose to shoot the 140gr Vld's in my 6.5x47L, again with excellent accuracy and see no reason to switch to hybrids!

Ian

saum2

#4 Postby saum2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:09 am

Ian, very interesting as I couldn't get the VLD to shoot in my 7mm with 15 jam or any jam or jump so went to Hybrids with instant success.
So i have a stack of VLD's for the next barrel.
Geoff

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 am

Barrels will be barrels. And there still hasnt been a magical bullet invented that works in all barrels.

In my 260 I shot the 140 hybrids jumped 15 thou and it shot ok. But when I jammed them they shot brilliant. Then I found that a 140 VLD shot exactly the same. With their bc so close, it was easier to go with the cheaper option- as I cant wind read the difference between the two.

In 7mm, the hybrid can also be pointed for a decent gain in BC. They are very attractive for people to try first which I would recommend. However many have found them temperamental to get right and gone back to VLD's as an easier to tune option- including myself in my current 7mm.

With the hybrids, I have found that "seating depth insensitive" is a good description as most of the time they shot fairly consistent no matter what the seating depth. Then you will either find the point where they hammer or you dont. Its whether they drill the x ring and shoot flat, or they hold the 6 ring and do ok is the important thing. I never got them drilling the X ring in 7mm so I used something else. If yours cranks with the hybrids thats fantastic.

I dont subscribe to the hype that hybrids shoot best jumped and VLD's shoot best jammed, but have learnt enough to understand that seating depth needs to be tuned to each particular barrel.

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 am

If you like to jam the VLD's it will give you long barrel life because they seat lower into the neck.
Because I always jam the hybrids and VLDs are interchangeable

I was told many years ago at that time by the best FO shooter in AUS
That he jammed the particular brand of bullet and if that didn't work change bullet brand if that didn't work change barrels.

I prefer the KISS system
RB

BRETT B

#7 Postby BRETT B » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:56 pm

RAVEN wrote:If you like to jam the VLD's it will give you long barrel life because they seat lower into the neck.
Because I always jam the hybrids and VLDs are interchangeable

I was told many years ago at that time by the best FO shooter in AUS
That he jammed the particular brand of bullet and if that didn't work change bullet brand if that didn't work change barrels.

I prefer the KISS system
RB

I am Interested to know how jamming a bullet as opposed to jumping will extend barrel life???
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

RAVEN

#8 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 pm

I have a 6X47L and it’s throated for 115 DTAC after 700 rounds down I can’t jam 105 anymore and probably won't get to 1000 with the 115 before it will require a re-chamber.

I find some of the USA reamers are throated so the bullet ends up half way up the neck if I had gotten a reamer that was throated so the projectile shank boat-tail was just above the neck shoulder I’m sure I would have been able to get in excess of 2500 rounds down before I required to re-chamber.

The same applied to any calibre

My original 284 had 1800 rounds through it before I re-chambered the first time probably thoated for the old 168's

So in essence you are extending the usable barrel life for that barrel this barrel has been re-chambered a 4th time and now has 4150 rounds down and still competitive.

RB :)
jam the VLD's it will give you long barrel life

The Hybrids seat out further than the VLD's

BRETT B

#9 Postby BRETT B » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:00 pm

OK so you are refering to setting up your usable freebore so you can keep chasing the lands as the throat wears and keep running a jam load!!!
Well if your freebore is set correctly for your bullet you are using you can chase the lands with either a Jam or Jump load and barrell life will be the same..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm

RAVEN wrote:I find some of the USA reamers are throated so the bullet ends up half way up the neck if I had gotten a reamer that was throated so the projectile shank boat-tail was just above the neck shoulder I’m sure I would have been able to get in excess of 2500 rounds down before I required to re-chamber.

Brett- same situation here as my 260 reamer. Yes its optimised for 140gr class bullets but in reality I dont have much room to chase the rifling. If mine was set up with a shorter freebore like yours I could do it. 1000 rounds on the maddco and that was all I could get. Though a krieger or bartlein would probably get more.

RAVEN

#11 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 pm

OK so you are refering to setting up your usable freebore so you can keep chasing the lands as the throat wears and keep running a jam load!!!
Well if your freebore is set correctly for your bullet you are using you can chase the lands with either a Jam or Jump load and barrell life will be the same..

yes :)

KHGS

#12 Postby KHGS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 pm

RAVEN wrote:

yes :)[/quote
Absolutely correct & "elementary my dear Watson". =D>
Keith H.

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:10 pm

If your bullet chamber throat is set up so the boat-tail shank junction is fractionally above neck shoulder junction and jammed you should get more usable life from jamming than jumping but we are only talking 10 - 30th
RB

Chopper

#14 Postby Chopper » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 pm

?? Raven for us dumb shits, ? , projectile engagement degree is not mentioned too much on the chamber ? in regards to the projectile ogive ? be worth a yarn on why some shoot straight away and some come good later which is governed by wear ? compatability of the ogive and throat degree ? is there a magic formular ?Chop

Chopper

#15 Postby Chopper » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Just because some say that this barrel shot straight away and others took 3 or 500 before it hit a peak , too many ogives and not enough throat lead degree info homework I think ? Chop.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”