Man cave under construction

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

Man cave under construction

#1 Postby Tim N » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi All,
Looking to build a gun room out in the shed.
Thinking about 3m x 5m and am interested in what others have included as essential items.
Pics would be good too.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Bindi2

#2 Postby Bindi2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm

My reloading room is 4.75m of a sea container in my shed. The door is slightly further from the left on the long side than the width of my bench which goes all the way around back to the door at navel hieght. Shelving on the long wall facing the door and to the left. The other short wall has book shelves. the bench to the right of the door is only 3/4 the width of the others. No shelf above this narrow bench as yet . A shelf will go in under the long bench and two end ones shortly to make it easier to keep the floor clean and find dropped things.
There are 2 presses and a priming tool on the left end bench,these presses are occasional use. the long bench has 2 progressive presses. The right short bench has 2 presses and the narrow bench has my scales and powder thrower. Dont forget the height adjustable swivel stool.
The benches are standard width Bunning kitchen wood tops. I put the round edge to the wall so the square edge was out for press mounting.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:35 pm

If you run digital scales beware that some forms of lighting can cause scales to drift- I think flouro tubes are guilty of this from memory.

Other good things I have found are 50mm holes drilled at each end of the bench with a bin below them. Easy to scrape any rubbish/powder granules/spent primers/tumbler media etc into them. Also if you trickle your loads up, a platform for the trickler to sit on next to the scale pan. I think it was Alan that set up a nifty tube from his thrower down to his scales that delivered his powder without risk of it spilling. It was a regular tube material stuck into the bottom of the thrower, then wrapped with wire so it could be kinked and bent into position.

Another thing to be mindful of is some measure to store dies etc without them rusting. Im having a torrid battle this year with my wilson seaters in the cool humid shed. Im half tempted to get an oil bath for them...

Keep tumblers off your main bench that has your scales on, as when they are working your scales read everywhere.

And plenty of drawers/shelves etc to store stuff. Im guessing most people dislike doing precision reloading in a cluttered and messy place.

Razer

#4 Postby Razer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:00 pm

A must for every gun safe and, storage cabinet for your dies, also for powder and primers, is packets of the moisture absorber that is sold for putting in wardrobes, etc. for the protection of contents against mildew( which is a direct result of high humidity/moisture).
Saves a lot of problems with rifles that are used for 'other than range use' as they do not get used frequently.

DannyS

#5 Postby DannyS » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Bruce Moulds is the man cave guru but he is unable to post at the moment.

Cheers
Danny

Tim N

Re: Man cave under construction

#6 Postby Tim N » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi All,
It's been a slow project but here's some pics of the man cave.
4m x 2.4m made of freezer pannel.
I made the stand for the scales independent of the bench and bolted to the slab for stability.
[IMG[URL=http://s1289.photobucket.com/user//media/016_zps5ipyzary.jpg.html]Image]Image://i1289.photobucket.com
Last edited by Tim N on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

ecomeat

#7 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:55 pm

What is that Hawkeye Borescope doing on the floor, Timothy ? [-X [-X :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We have just moved to a little 3 acre place, room for one wife with one horse, one husband, two dogs and a cat. Fortunately i have convinced her that the fully lined very large garage is mine........ :mrgreen: ......and that she and her horse will be very happy with their own, separate double garage with built in stables, along with another triple garage.
My one tonne double door safe .......purchased from Active Safe Removals, the commercial safe relocation/repair/supply company run by Beaudesert RC President Mike Samuels and recently taken over by his son Brendan, will be able to come inside with me in the next week or so, and my "reloading life" will then be bliss :D :D
"My room" even has reverse cycle air conditioning ducted into it , so while it wont be much use when needing my digital scales, it will make for more pleasant, longer reloading sessions.......and that all important "gun talk with others".
I will get some photos in the next few days 8)
I would like some help/ideas.......sorry for the hijack Tim, but it belongs in this thread :D .....for a free standing cleaning rod rack.
In my 20' container which was set up about a year ago after i broke my leg, i had glued a sheet of 1200 x 2400 ply to the wall of my container, and the fixed shelves (Ikea) and other essentials to the ply.
My 6 x cleaning rods (3 x 6mm and 3 x 7mm) were held at the perfect height by utilising a couple of 8" shelving brackets that were screwed to the ply upside down, with little locator slots cut with an angle grinder.
I used to really hate having to change "tips" to go from a jag to nylon/bronze brush etc....so each time i could afford a new rod, I kept adding one more Dewey cleaning rod....and now have 3 x complete rods always set up for each calibre, and right there "at hand".
In my new man cave, my cleaning table has to be free standing.
Does anyone have/utilise any sort of free standing cleaning rod rack that i could copy, please ?? :?: :idea: :?: Ideally it would be something that could hold my rods beside one of those Bunnings plastic blow mould tables.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

williada

#8 Postby williada » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Careful what you post up boys. My wife and I lost all our gear once from a robbery, nothing else was touched. Turned out to be an inside job. Loose lips sink ships and you become the target. I am very careful who I let in the door now. Many a person is first to tell you where they have been and what they have seen.

Brad Y

#9 Postby Brad Y » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Building a new house next year. We have just done the plans and wifey and I included a room as a wine cellar. Its actually not a wine cellar- more a fully insulated and air conditioned reloading room! But I wasnt putting that on the plans for every tom dick and harry to see... Will be doing some serious security work on it too.

Tim N

#10 Postby Tim N » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Did I mention I have 3 savage dogs and trip hazards everywhere

ecomeat

#11 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 pm

williada wrote:Careful what you post up boys. My wife and I lost all our gear once from a robbery, nothing else was touched. Turned out to be an inside job. Loose lips sink ships and you become the target. I am very careful who I let in the door now. Many a person is first to tell you where they have been and what they have seen.

Good point, David. I honestly never gave that a thought. Too damn trusting, and hadnt even considered that. I had already started to organise some serious security grills, but had not considered the risk posed by sharing "details/info".
Thanks for pointing it out.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Tony,
You may as well sell the horse, dogs and cat before they are burgled.
Have you got the forms ready for August?

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:30 pm

So when is the man cave warming party? I will help run your scales in if you like :D :D :D

ecomeat

#14 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Tim,(and Alan)
I have emailed you a copy of a 'draft" new form for the QRA Equipment List. Could you both have a squizz at it please ?
I have a hard enough time (making time !) with F Open, so if F Standard shooters and FTR shooters want to see equipment lists for those disciplines, then some of you need to get involved with collecting and collating the data :wink: 8)

DannyS

#15 Postby DannyS » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:36 am

Tony, one wife? How many did you have when you were on large acreage ? :shock:

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”