REAR BAG

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Roy cobb

REAR BAG

#1 Postby Roy cobb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Iam new to F class shooting and I am setting my gear up to start soon so what rear bag is good for F class standard / F/TR shooting to suit a Savage model 12 F/TR rifle. Or what do you use and fill the bag with
Thanks for your help

shooter mcreid

#2 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Can't go wrong with a seb bigfoot, I believe there is a few different models with different spacing between the ears.

http://www.benchrest.com.au/restsbags.h ... ektor-bags

I think I filled mine with dense sand blasting sand.

ecomeat

#3 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Absolutely agree with Josh on the SEB Bigfoot. They are incredibly stable
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bsouthernau

#4 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Not disagreeing with Josh or Tony but I use a Protektor "Doctor" bag and am totally satisfied with it. If you go to a foundry they'll probably GIVE you a bucket of casting sand. I've got mine filled with zircon sand from a foundry supplier, heavier than the freebie sand, but had to pay (heaps) for it.

Barry

ned kelly

#5 Postby ned kelly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:00 pm

G'day All,
garnet sandblasting grit, get new stuff as the used stuff is fine enough to fall through the stitching holes.
I've used it for nearly 20 years in many different bags, and best of all, find a few mates who need it as you can by it in bags like cement. Otherwise find a panel beater or engineering shop as they should have it.
Cheerio Ned

Malcolm Hill

#6 Postby Malcolm Hill » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Sandblasters use Garnet which works very well and is also quite heavy. I think it was about a dollar a kilo for the last bag I purchased so isn't too expensive.
Regards Malcolm.

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 pm

I have a SEB Bigfoot which I think is great.

I use ilmenite sand blasting sand. Its available at Super Cheap auto in a 10 kg bucket which is a pretty small bucket. You can almost get the whole thing in a SEB Bigfoot. The last one I bought was $25.

The rear bag feature that I'm most wrapped with and have seen a major improvement with is a spiked plate under the bag. I've cut a hole in the mat so that any movement on the mat doesn't disrupt the rear bag and the bag stays rock solid. I just made up a cheap ugly plate as a trial and won't stop using it because its so good. A rectanglular piece of ply, with a bolt and nut at each corner as the spikes and I've glued a course sanding belt to the top of it to stop the bag sliding.

Roy cobb

#8 Postby Roy cobb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for your help order a SEB Bigfoot so will see how I go with it :D

ned kelly

#9 Postby ned kelly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 pm

G'day All,
had a look at the Edgewood Mini Gator with handle today, it has a new material for the ears, super slick, no need for stock tape or dry silicon spray.
It will be interesting to see if it is as good as other ear materials for durability.
Nevertheless, I imagine it will last a very long service life.
Cheerio Ned

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I believe zircon sand has a 20% higher bulk density than garnet.

ned kelly

#11 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:31 am

G'day All,
Alan's right zircon is heavier, but you use whatever "heavy" sand you can get, anything is better than regular sand.
Garnet is quite readily available and cheap.
Hope this helps
Cheerio Ned
Last edited by ned kelly on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John23

#12 Postby John23 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:46 am

I got a Protektor Bumble bee and it is a great bag.
Once again its filled with bead blasting glass sand

JH ;)

Fergus Bailey

#13 Postby Fergus Bailey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 am

For what its worth, I prefer sand blasting grit to "sand", as the sand blasting grit is slightly lager and so doesn't tend to pack down on itself as much as sands like zircon or garnet (and therefore is less prone to giving you vertical like an overly hard bag can do).

You just need to look out for a larger granule blasting grit, as some sand blasting grit can be very fine. And the fine media is even worse than sand in packing down on itself.

I have found Burwell "Black Beauty" is the best bag filling media available. And I have tried a LOT of different alternatives.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”