Prize meetings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Re: Prize meetings

#16 Postby UL1700 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Jakec27 wrote:I would like to go to all of them around where I live but only get every second weekend off then in my weekend off I try and spend it with my family as much as possible and go to the range Sunday morning for a few hours where I get all my shooting in for the fortnight. Hopefully as my kids get older (and I get older) I can get to a few more and take my kids with me. Until then I’ll go to my local ones and just keep practicing! Also I’m not phased by cash prizes just enjoy the competition!
Jake

Yep it's tough, getting the wife to shoot helps a lot (when she isn't beating me :?) but then juggling shooting, scoring, check scoring and child minding can be a challenge although most people and ROs are extremely accommodating. We also work every 4th weekend plus every other Saturday morning which isn't helpful and especially gutting when I have the luxury of 2 ranges under 15 minutes drive from my house but they both only open Saturday mornings! I would also agree that I don't find cash an incentive but the competition and the acknowledgement of it is fun.

John S

#17 Postby John S » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 pm

A trend noted in NSW is the swing to invitational shoots. I suspect the organisers do not wish to enter their results in the NRAA results system. The downside of an invitational is that grading doesn't apply. As I setup the NRAA program for nsw events, the offer is always given for me to enter the results for these clubs. I maybe wrong on the reason, but that's my take. Clubs should be encouraged to organise graded OPM events. Cheers...

RDavies

#18 Postby RDavies » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 pm

How about if clubs offered something a little different to excite people to dust off the cobwebs and come out of their caves?
I know when I first started out, I would attend every prize shoot I could get to but after so many prize shoots of 2 sighters and 10 at 5,5,600 with very little variation, it becomes a little monotonous.
Myself, and a few others in my area work most weekends, so getting out for a shoot is not easy. When we look through the calendar and see endless prize shoots of 2+10 at 5,5,600 , what is going to motivate us to take days off work, or drive 10Hrs to a shoot?
It is now 2-3 years since I have attended a regular vanilla 2+10 5,5,6 OPM on ETs but have driven 10Hrs or flown to a few OPMs offering something a little different and I know of quite a few higher level shooters who think the same as I do.
How about some clubs go back to some longer ranges, or offer pairs firing (Bisley style)?
I understand that clubs have to cater to beginners, elderly and B/C graders with short ranges, short shot strings and ETs, but surely, a few more OPMs could cater a little more to some serious shooters a little more often?

UL1700

#19 Postby UL1700 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 am

RDavies wrote:How about if clubs offered something a little different to excite people to dust off the cobwebs and come out of their caves?
I know when I first started out, I would attend every prize shoot I could get to but after so many prize shoots of 2 sighters and 10 at 5,5,600 with very little variation, it becomes a little monotonous.
Myself, and a few others in my area work most weekends, so getting out for a shoot is not easy. When we look through the calendar and see endless prize shoots of 2+10 at 5,5,600 , what is going to motivate us to take days off work, or drive 10Hrs to a shoot?
It is now 2-3 years since I have attended a regular vanilla 2+10 5,5,6 OPM on ETs but have driven 10Hrs or flown to a few OPMs offering something a little different and I know of quite a few higher level shooters who think the same as I do.
How about some clubs go back to some longer ranges, or offer pairs firing (Bisley style)?
I understand that clubs have to cater to beginners, elderly and B/C graders with short ranges, short shot strings and ETs, but surely, a few more OPMs could cater a little more to some serious shooters a little more often?

I agree! I have had the opportunity to shoot Bisley once and after initially being dubious I had a ball and would jump at the opportunity to do it again. I also really enjoy 1000 yards and head to the comps where its available as both my local ranges are maxed out at 600. At the last comp, the kick back from doing more ranges at 1000 appeared to be coming from people who feel that anything under a possible is a failure when infact it's the nature of the game at the longer distances.

Trevor Rhodes

#20 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 pm

VRA PM on the 7th Sept no 1000 yrs but 600, 700, and 900yds just to keep every one happy. Free camping, BBQ Saturday night, come and socalise and have a great time.

UL1700

#21 Postby UL1700 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:VRA PM on the 7th Sept no 1000 yrs but 600, 700, and 900yds just to keep every one happy. Free camping, BBQ Saturday night, come and socalise and have a great time.

Working :cry: I have to date avoided events with competitor marking as with wife and kid it all sounds to difficult! Also funding some mobile accomodation is on the cards!

lonerider43

#22 Postby lonerider43 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm

ours is 600,700 and 800 saturday.900 and 1000 on sunday.
makes for an interesting couple of days with like minded people on a range prone to fishtailing switchy winds.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Trevor Rhodes

#23 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm

UL1700 wrote:
Trevor Rhodes wrote:VRA PM on the 7th Sept no 1000 yrs but 600, 700, and 900yds just to keep every one happy. Free camping, BBQ Saturday night, come and socalise and have a great time.

Working :cry: I have to date avoided events with competitor marking as with wife and kid it all sounds to difficult! Also funding some mobile accomodation is on the cards!

NO COMPETITOR MARKING now at the 7 Sept VRA Prize Meeting, orginised paid marker, hoping that will encourage a few more to come and see the new changes to the range.

Wal86

#24 Postby Wal86 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Trevor Rhodes,

Why dont the VRA, just hire the Hexta targets from nearby clubs, money is then circulated back into the clubs to help improve their ranges..
More (2 day) PM could then be scheduled on the Bendigo range, to utilize its wonderful facilities and longer ranges.

No competitors want to pull targets, and experienced markers are hard to organise...

Cheers
Alan
Last edited by Wal86 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakec27

#25 Postby Jakec27 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Why don’t they just get there own hexta targets

lonerider43

#26 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 pm

the way i see it,if your paying good money to go to a shoot,accommodation,food and drinks,why would you need to pull targets ??
thats club level stuff ...
surely no opm's have competitors pulling targets ???
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

AlanF

#27 Postby AlanF » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:NO COMPETITOR MARKING now at the 7 Sept VRA Prize Meeting, orginised paid marker, hoping that will encourage a few more to come and see the new changes to the range.

Sounds good Trev. Better than competitor marking, and better than ETs.

RDavies

#28 Postby RDavies » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:24 am

lonerider43 wrote:the way i see it,if your paying good money to go to a shoot,accommodation,food and drinks,why would you need to pull targets ??
thats club level stuff ...
surely no opm's have competitors pulling targets ???

The Bisley style shoots at Ungarie and Atherton do have competitor marking, but it works very well with the way they do the squadding. The social aspect and banter down at the target pits with your squads made it all part of the fun and not something people minded doing. It is one of the few times when you would get a dozen shooters in your discipline all together at once. I’m keen to drive 10hrs or fly to these 2 day Bisley shoots a few times a year, as are others who have been to the last few.

(BTW, the program for these Bisley style shoots is usually something like
Day1. Blow off shots then 2+15 at 8,9,1000yds
Day2. Blow off shots then 2x 2+20 at 1000yds
All shot in pairs (Bisley style), and as much as possible, disciplines squadded all together.

DannyS

#29 Postby DannyS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:53 am

Personally, I don’t have a problem with competitor marking and I agree with Rod that it can be quite social. The problem these days it seems is that some shooters either have never learnt or have forgotten how to mark efficiently. Gone are the days when they had a certain pride in being able to mark quickly and correctly. And if you are unfortunate enough to be shooting on a target where the marker doesn’t want to be there, well that can really spoil a day.

Is there a bit of an attitude out there, that goes like, well I’ve paid to enter and you expect me to work as well?

Anyway, I’ll crawl back under my rock.

Cheers
DannyS

bruce moulds

#30 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:21 am

with competitor marked bisley you can have 2 guys to a target.
if they have even 1/2 a brain between them they will quickly have a system which is both fast and accurate.
while initially it seems not to be a good idea, when doing it there is a lot of fun and mateship to be had.
funnily when we shoot the marker is the enemy, and when we mark the shooter is the enemy. :lol:
some people seem to have a dual personality in this, switching between one persona and the other at will. :shock:
bruce,
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Return to “General Forum”