Prize meetings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Prize meetings

#31 Postby AlanF » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 am

bruce moulds wrote:...funnily when we shoot the marker is the enemy, and when we mark the shooter is the enemy...

I hope that's a "royal we" Bruce and would also hope there's not many of you.

bruce moulds

#32 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm

actually alan it does not worry me.
what I find amusing is how guys go into a zone about it.
no amount of explaining seems to get the message through that they can and will be or have been on the other end whichever that happens to be.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

UL1700

#33 Postby UL1700 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 pm

DannyS wrote:Personally, I don’t have a problem with competitor marking and I agree with Rod that it can be quite social. The problem these days it seems is that some shooters either have never learnt or have forgotten how to mark efficiently. Gone are the days when they had a certain pride in being able to mark quickly and correctly. And if you are unfortunate enough to be shooting on a target where the marker doesn’t want to be there, well that can really spoil a day.S

For what its worth, I produced the attached how to score / mark post card and had them printed through Vista print so that I could improve my scoring and that of other newcommers to the sport. I dontaed a bunch to the VRA (and am happy to provide more) as they only cost cents each to have printed. If anyone wants to have them for their manual meets, I have the image feely avialble on my flickr account and it can be uploaded to Vista Print and at your door as post card in only a few days!

Image2019-04-06 (12) by James Elphick, on Flickr

UL1700

#34 Postby UL1700 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Reverse Side

Image2019-04-15 (2) by James Elphick, on Flickr

DannyS

#35 Postby DannyS » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks James, good idea.

bruce moulds

#36 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:51 am

james, you could hand the first one to some of those tr shooters who still fail to recognize that fclass is a discipline in its own right and continue to call 5 as a bull.
bruce.

williada

#37 Postby williada » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:53 am

A little tolerance goes a long way. Its not me and them, it is us. Gentle reminders and a smile go a long way. So long as folk write the correct score down and don't miss a shot is what really matters until they come on board.

A far bigger distraction is the lack of manners displayed by gas bagging and interruption by non shooters, scorers and markers who do not pay attention. then getting the target queried and messing with the shooter's rhythm.

Then again, how many times are Range Officers distracted from their supervision by the perpetual gas baggers, people moving too close to shooters and casting shadows.

Education starts at club level where expectations can be developed. Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.

wsftr

#38 Postby wsftr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:06 pm

bruce moulds wrote:james, you could hand the first one to some of those tr shooters who still fail to recognize that fclass is a discipline in its own right and continue to call 5 as a bull.
bruce.

To be fair - I can call a bull as a 5 - got nothing to do with me not recognising Tr shooters its just the way I think because of the scoring I typically work with...but I do know that a bull = 5 or a 5 = bull.

No harm no foul?

RDavies

#39 Postby RDavies » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:24 pm

wsftr wrote:
bruce moulds wrote:james, you could hand the first one to some of those tr shooters who still fail to recognize that fclass is a discipline in its own right and continue to call 5 as a bull.
bruce.

To be fair - I can call a bull as a 5 - got nothing to do with me not recognising Tr shooters its just the way I think because of the scoring I typically work with...but I do know that a bull = 5 or a 5 = bull.

No harm no foul?

When scoring for TR shooters, I call out “bulleye 5”. As it covers all bases. For f class shooters, I just call “5” as that is what it is to us.
One thing I am adamant though with calls, is for X to be called out as “super”
X and 6 sounds too similar, especially with some accents and on a few occasions I have had to stop and clarify what the marker said.
Last edited by RDavies on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsftr

#40 Postby wsftr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:34 pm

RDavies wrote:
wsftr wrote:
bruce.

No harm no foul?

When scoring for TR shooters, I call out “bulleye 5”. As it covers all bases. For f class shooters, I just call “5” as that is what it is to us.
One thing I am adamant though with calls, is for X to be called out as “super”
X and 6 sounds too similar, especially with some accents and on a few occasions I have had to stop and clarify what the marker said. I remember a few Queens where I thought they were calling X but we’re calling 6 and they had scored me a 60.0 as they didn’t know an X was different to a 6

Yes I try to do that as well. often reminded by scorers around me as I hear them calling it out.
Not scoring an x as 6.1 is ignorance and not ok....

bruce moulds

#41 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:44 pm

bulleye 5 is traditional and correct for tr, and respect would suggest that fclass shooters act accordingly when scoring a tr shooter.
a 5 is not a bull for fcalss because a 6 is.
tr guys should respond in kind.
bruce.

wsftr

#42 Postby wsftr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Isn't a V bull a 6 in F class core?
generally I know the language as bull (5) or V bull...
The score I write down changes depending on TR or F-class

GSells

#43 Postby GSells » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Just some good news .... this weekend, at Goondiwindi OPM , we had 105 competitors and some real quality competition . We used silver mountain ET’s and the whole show ran faultlessly. Meaning if there was a problem, there was a ET assist / RO at a moments notice . Was very professionally ran . There were that many shooters , that they had to put competitors on the other side of the board !!
Congratulations Gundy. !!! =D> =D>

RDavies

#44 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 am

Jakec27 wrote:Why don’t they just get there own hexta targets

Or how about they stick with proper targets. There are enough OPMs with ETs if that is what you want to shoot on. Surely a few OPMs can stick with manual targets and long ranges to excite some of the more ambitious shooters.

ShaneG

#45 Postby ShaneG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 am

CIDRA on Saturday at Atherton was 900 and 1000 manual targets 15+2 sightrers! You would have enjoyed it Rod.
Great day! Although conditions reminded me of Raton FCWC in 2013
Every shot seemed to be a sighter!

Return to “General Forum”