New members

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Mitch’n’Josie

New members

#1 Postby Mitch’n’Josie » Mon May 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for letting us join.

Based in Brisbane and current SSAA member. Looking to shoot 300 500 fly

My wife and are looking to get into fly shooting. Are current ABH holders and have found that we’ve enjoyed shooting our basic 243 the most. Brisbane based

I know this may have been asked 7 million times but we’d love assistance with the following

Suggestions for good starter setup calibre brands etc ?

Would we be right to share in the beginning ?

Budget we should expect ? (We went and met they guys from Brt a few years ago and I think $5-6k was a starter budget then.)

Have done a fair bit of reliad8ng with my Dillon 650 and assume that would be useless now ?

Tia

Mitch & Josie
Last edited by Mitch’n’Josie on Mon May 01, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahamW

Re: New members

#2 Postby GrahamW » Mon May 01, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi Mitch & Josie,

Welcome to OzFclass.com

You probably should mention which discipline you want to shoot and the nearest Club/Range you'd like to shoot at.

Cheers
Graham

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Mon May 01, 2023 5:03 pm

https://flyshooter.com.au/

Thanks the home of fly shooting .

Top notch rifles are regularly 5k plus.
Then a rest , scope , bags ect ect ECT.

Then of course there is the Rimfire rifle as well
And a heavy gun

Registered matches consist of :
Centrefire light (under 17lb)
Centrefire heavy unlimited weight
And 200m rimfire.

300m fly is not a registered event and more of a social event much the same as 300m bat shooting.
I have one rifle for centrefire which I use in light and heavy (as many do)
Then my rimfire.

On most matches there is 4 details so yes you can share and shoot both classes .
My 12 year old son recently started shooting the fly and last match I shot heavy and he shot light with with another shooter in between us.

This made for a slower pace day and time to let the rifle rest , get cleaned and eat and drink as there is no lunch breaks.

It’s a great sport and if you visit the fly page you will get all the info you need

All the best

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Thu May 04, 2023 9:01 pm

One recommendation is to look through the for sale section in this site as well as the Fly Shoot website to look for used guns. There have been a few more used guns (and rests, dies etc) coming up for sale lately which will save you money and waiting time for a new build. A lot of guns in this forum will be over the LG weight limit for Fly shooting so they will go into Heavy Gun (HG) class. Often a barrel change to a lighter barrel will let you use the same gun for LG and HG.

stu_bear2002

#5 Postby stu_bear2002 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:37 pm

mitch n josie I am also one of the fly shooters from Brisbane as per John23 so I will also forward you to our relevant fb pages https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497614683832229
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063836273149

We have a 200yrd RF match coming up this Wednesday night if youd like to come along and see the way things run.
cheers Stuey
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

2fore3cal

#6 Postby 2fore3cal » Mon May 29, 2023 9:12 pm

Hi all. Just getting back into shooting after 15yr gap to do "life" stuff. Just started with hunter class but looking to build a f-open gun soonish. Hopefully then get to travel to more ranges to help with skills. [-o< looking forward to diving into the subject more via this site. Cheers steve

GrahamW

#7 Postby GrahamW » Mon May 29, 2023 11:35 pm

2fore3cal wrote:Hi all. Just getting back into shooting after 15yr gap to do "life" stuff. Just started with hunter class but looking to build a f-open gun soonish. Hopefully then get to travel to more ranges to help with skills. [-o< looking forward to diving into the subject more via this site. Cheers steve

Welcome back to shooting Steve. =D>

Have Fun

Graham

Return to “General Forum”