SSAA Affiliation

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

SSAA Affiliation

#1 Postby Weairy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:34 pm

Hi all,

After some insights from any clubs out there that may have experience.

I have been looking into the possibility of having our range SSAA affiliated, to help expand our offerings and range usage (our membership is low and the range is under-utilised).

I know all of our members need to be SSAA members as well as VRA (most are already) so there’s a cost implication there.

Has anyone done this? Was it a big issue? Any traps or pitfalls to this?
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Rogue22

Re: SSAA Affiliation

#2 Postby Rogue22 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:42 pm

Just my thoughts, but unless it was absolutely necessary to keep the range open I would steer clear of it. It wouldn’t be an NRAA affiliated range for long if you did.

Weairy

#3 Postby Weairy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:15 pm

Rogue22 wrote:Just my thoughts, but unless it was absolutely necessary to keep the range open I would steer clear of it. It wouldn’t be an NRAA affiliated range for long if you did.

I can see the reservations about it with some of the range takeovers that’ve occurred and the likes. But I still can’t wrap my head around why the NRAA and SSAA are at such odds. Surely a united front would be the better thing… the NRAA is (by far) the smaller organisation nowadays, with the majority of the infrastructure… just seems so silly to me.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

cheech

#4 Postby cheech » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:41 pm

Our club accepts SSAA and feild & game members to shoot on our normal weekend range days , they do not qualify for NRAA OPMs or able to hold excecutive positions on committee our membership and participation has grown double . But we are open minded we let muzzle brakes , we are approved for steel gongs by nraaa and Sapol with all insurances . All shooting must still be prone .
We are primarily foremost affiliated NRAA SA state and nationally of course and have no fear of being taken over by no means , if you ever become taken over well you’re only have yourselves to blame to let it happen

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:41 am

Weairy wrote:
Rogue22 wrote:Just my thoughts, but unless it was absolutely necessary to keep the range open I would steer clear of it. It wouldn’t be an NRAA affiliated range for long if you did.

I can see the reservations about it with some of the range takeovers that’ve occurred and the likes. But I still can’t wrap my head around why the NRAA and SSAA are at such odds. Surely a united front would be the better thing… the NRAA is (by far) the smaller organisation nowadays, with the majority of the infrastructure… just seems so silly to me.

Two different business models. One is run to make profit and put back into clubs, teams and promotion. The other is run to keep it cheap and look after the old school boys club.

Get them to join the NRAA and add some membership to the NRAA. The only draw card that we have at the moment is that we have most of the approved long ranges which they want so make them pay a membership to use them and start putting into our association.

Weairy

#6 Postby Weairy » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:05 am

BATattack wrote:
Weairy wrote:

Two different business models. One is run to make profit and put back into clubs, teams and promotion. The other is run to keep it cheap and look after the old school boys club.

Get them to join the NRAA and add some membership to the NRAA. The only draw card that we have at the moment is that we have most of the approved long ranges which they want so make them pay a membership to use them and start putting into our association.

We’ve doubled our membership in the past 6 weeks, from 6 to 12 members. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but that’s more new members than we’ve had in the past 6 years. We’re happy to support the NRAA and still primarily an NRAA range. This is just a growth opportunity and a way to keep our range ticking over. We have enquiries from third parties looking to hire the range for various reasons, and if we can make a little money by letting SSAA members zero on our range etc, there’s a chance of converting them to F-Class and growing.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.

BATattack

#7 Postby BATattack » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:40 pm

More people attending the better for sure! Cheech's club has had a lot of experience with with how it can be managed poorly (loose a club) and how it can be done well and grow a club.

Honestly if SSAA would commit to taking on F class as a discipline we would probably be better of being run by the SSAA anyway. But until then just be aware that they are looking to obtain already approved long ranges to grow their association and they have more money backing the to make it happen so be careful how you structure things.

Return to “General Forum”