the AusPost shuffle - S**t that can happen

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

the AusPost shuffle - S**t that can happen

#1 Postby PeteFox » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:24 am

With the looming unavailability of Barnards on my mind, back at the start of September I put a wanted ad on OzFclass for a LH Barnard P. I was trying to future proof myself against future unavailability.
A few days later I had done a deal, paid up and the action was dispatched.
I was in Qld at the time, I advised my dealer in Tas it was coming. About six weeks later I went to my dealer, PTA in hand to pick it up.
Panic set in, because they couldn't find it, a bit later on they confirmed that they had never received it, my turn to panic.

A few phone calls later it was discovered that it had left Cairns via AusPost and disappeared in Townsville a few days later.
The Cairns dealer charged an exorbitant amount to send it, and silly me figured that it was down to the cost of insurance. When I phoned the Cairns dealer to start the process of making an insurance claim, everybody turned deaf, couldn't understand the question, didn't return calls and referred me to another staff member who was strangely never available and became dyslexic when getting call back messages. So the premium was never paid?? WTF!

OK, so now, we have a problem and the action is reported to Qld Police as missing/stolen.

Throughout this process my dealer in Tas - (a shout-out to The Hunting Shed in Burnie) have been like a bull terrier chasing this up.

Five weeks passed and I was resigned to accepting the loss. $2K was not worth chasing through the courts, so I just put it behind me.

Out of the blue, the Hunting Shed called - action found but Houston we still have a problem.

The story is:
The Contractor for AusPost who was transporting the action had other freight in his truck mixed with the AusPost stuff. I thought that this was against the rules.AusPost is secure isn't it?
The owner of the other freight, (which was furniture associated with a trade show) was unpacking it when he found inside the bubble wrap, yes you guessed it, a small package addressed to the Hunting Shed. There are still people who are honest. This guy phoned both the Hunting Shed and the freight company.

Problem not over. Where's my stuff ?

Police now get involved - remember, stolen/missing firearm. So now it's locked in a safe somewhere at the transport company and parcel is not allowed to be moved until we get police clearance.....waiting.......waiting. I was thinking January, too close to Christmas.

Anyway after 2 weeks in the safe and without any warning, my AusPost app flashes me yesterday - Package in North Sydney and on the move

A Christmas Story
Pete

SMITHTON

Re: the AusPost shuffle - S**t that can happen

#2 Postby SMITHTON » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:18 am

I refuse to send actions away. I sofar have been able to get barrels chambered without the action, BARNARD, David Brewster, perfect. STOLLE, Jerome, Zierch Custom Rifles, perfect. MADDCO, send a stubb 6" long , they copy it , perfect, for STOLLE , don't know about BARNARD.

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:20 pm

Great story though, at least there’s some entertainment value?
Seriously glad she turned up for you, merry Christmas

John23

#4 Postby John23 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:44 pm

I had a similar experience when I sold 3 rifles to a buyer in Mackay.
3 to 4 weeks in the buyer is thinking I’m a crook and receiving zero help from Australia post I made one final call to them.

I explained they lost 3 firearms and if they are not found by close of business that day I am taking my experience to the media to see what they think about it.

Although it was not Xmas they did perform a miracle and within 1 hour the rifles were found in cairns sitting in the corner of the post warehouse.

The rifles did not get off the bus at the right stop so the good people at the post sorting facility decided to throw them in the corner instead of sending them back to the designated destination.

I don’t have much faith in them now

ShaneG

#5 Postby ShaneG » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:48 pm

I refused to to use AusPost for last 3 years for firearms.
1. They stopped signature deliveries over 3 years ago because of the scamdemic
2. They use contractors who change often and don’t have the required duty of care as you found.

Also don’t assume? If you wanted insurance you should have made that clear and it is another charge by AusPost
And the public are not aware of the 3 separate layers of WLB into the dealership and subsequent reversal of those layers out upon despatch. Plus obtaining copy of current D/l from consigned. Often multiple phone calls / emails involved? remember assume means make an ass out of u and me!

PeteFox

#6 Postby PeteFox » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 am

As the song goes "happiness is a warm gun", in this case a Barnard that has gone through the wringer with the Police.
It will be getting a warm up over the break as I've got it in time for Christmas
Pete

Return to “General Forum”