C'mon WA FO shooters, time to restart the comp

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

C'mon WA FO shooters, time to restart the comp

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Hello all,

I have spoken personally to a fair number of WA F class shooters (I won't call them FS shooters, as it is not entirely accurate), and found that there is a definite want to get FO going again here.

I know there is now F Class discipline representation on the WARA council, so things should now be able to move in the right direction.

What are the issues?

What are the resolutions?

Keep in mind that having a sponsor on tap is a BIG help to moving people's opinions.

From my point of view, (to begin the discussion) the issues seem to be:

1. Rifles chambered to shoot in FO?? (I know that some people have barrels ready to go)

2. Competitions (clubs, associations etc) willing to support the discipline.

3. The mirror of point 2; competitors willing to support an FO competition.

4. Sponsorship.

5. Acceptance of the discipline within the relative shooting community - in other words, the FO competition supported by (and competitors gained from) FS.

Resolutions (from my own stunted view of the FO world):

1. No reason not to use 223R or 308W with other bullets, powders etc if people don't have something "superior".

2. This is a tough one.... comps will happen, but only if people turn up. I think people not turning up will be more of an issue than comps not being run for FO. Comps are about cashflow - make no mistake about this. If the books don't balance, it won't run again.

For example, (and note that I am not making decisions for our club here), there is no reason not to have a separate FO competition at our Club prize meeting - or any other. We have plenty of gallery width, and would probably be able to get support for the comp within the club (being very forward thinking).

A separate target would need to be provided for the FO people. This is the only thing that would be different from the TR/FS competitors.

3. As per 2, competitors would maybe need to book and pay a spot prior to the event to guarantee the FO event happens. A minimum number would need to attend to make sure the extra marker is payed for (say 5 or 6 shooters probably). There would probably be no "pay on the day" for FO, unless minimum numbers have been met.

4. We have sponsors. Not sure about prize value, depends on what is in it for them (us) :-)

5. From our local club point of view, this is a non-issue. From a wider view, it may be a problem....the "us and them" is certainly evident still. Crikey, some people are so out of touch they think the Omark is some new fangled rifle for young folk.

The more the FO thing is talked about, the more it can be brought into the open (excuse the pun).

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:20 am

Yes it would be great to see FO back at the WA Queens. If its going to happen, I will attempt to get a group (probably small) of shooters to travel west for the "relaunch" Queens.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Rod. =D>

Alan

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:45 am

I would have no dramas going along and shooting my 22BRX. I dont expect to be competitive but no reason why I couldnt go. There are 4 or so guys in Busselton as well with all sorts of chamberings... 6.5x47's 6BR 6BRX 22BR etc.

We just shoot on the full bore targets most sundays with what ever we want to use.

Mark Hamersley

#4 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 am

Hi all

If there are at least 5 definite competitors I expect the WARA will have F-open in the Queens this year. I raised the prospect and underlying interest at the range yesterday and it may well be brought up at the Council meeting today.

As this will be our last year at Swanbourne it would be great to have F-open involved in the final Queens there. If anyone from interstate has been contemplating a Queens at Swanbourne this will be the year to make the trip!

I'll be in and it sounds like we have two Busselton competitors now (be great to see you there Brad!) and I'll share my gear to get another person in if I need to.

Alan, if you do manage to come to WA let me know so I can try and help keep some costs down for you - I know freighting ammo has been a big one for me in the past.

I reckon if we keep the interest level up we will probably have an F-Open comp back in the WA Queens this year. Many thanks for your post Rod

best regards

Mark

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm

BradY. There is no reason why you cant use your 22BRX. I have heard of others having good luck in their first Queens with a 22BR. I will send those 90gn bullets we discussed for free if you will be using them in the WA Queens.
I noticed it is only a week before the S.A Queens. I suppose this would make it a good trip for Eastern Staters shoot in W.A, then to drop in to S.A on their way back and get 2 Queens shoots in one road trip.

Mark Hamersley

#6 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi All

As an update, the WARA have confirmed that they will have F-Open in the WA Queens provided there are more than 5 competitors.

best regards

Mark

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm

That's great news Mark. Unless disaster strikes, I'll be there.

Alan

Woody_rod

#8 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am

Wow, Mark Hammersley is ALIVE!!!!

Nice work for whoever got them (WARA) to offer the F Open category. Name them Mark, so we can thank them.

I will seriously consider entering the FO competition for a laugh. I have a 6.5mm barrel laying around somewhere....

Woody_rod

#9 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 am

Oh,

Alan, if you need help with transport, we are geared to do this in and out of WA for firearms stuff. Let us know. We have all licenses in WA, so you can also ship rifles/ammo etc direct to us if you want.

Same goes for anyone else wanting to come over.

And.....no reason not to use a FS rifle in FO to get numbers up eh?? After tuning my wife's rifle (223Rem), should be no problem competing with it. ALthough I could make a switch barrel for it in 223AI and 90 grain bullets or something.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks Rod. I hope there are some others who will take up your offer, and fly over. My own plan is to allow about 3 weeks and drive. Having never driven beyond Adelaide, I want to have a look at the red centre on the way back. Has anyone driven the Great Central Road from Leonora to Uluru recently?

Alan

Mark Hamersley

#11 Postby Mark Hamersley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

G'day Woody one!

I think the timing was right for this. A some keen people, the WARA happy to have open in the Queens, the last hurrah for Swanbourne, your thread here as well I might add. If the interest level keeps up and word spreads there should be the numbers for a good comp.

Hope you do compete in f-open too, I won't laugh as I've seen you shoot! I like your choice of calibre too :)

best regards

Mark

Woody_rod

#12 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Ordered a new Pac-Nor barrel today in 6,5mm for 260 INCH chambering. Solely for F open competition. Will be one of only two rifles chambered for this in the world......it is 1,250" cylinder profile. No doubt some fluting will be done on it.

Where do I buy some good 140 grain 6,5mm projies from????

Why a Pac Nor? Because they kick arse~!!!!!

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Rod,

Try the SARA shop http://www.riflesa.asn.au/store.htm and see if they have 142gn SMKs - they work in just about any barrel, and have a very respectable BC.

What is the 260 INCH based on?

Alan

Woody_rod

#14 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 pm

The 260 INCH is based on 260 Remington sort of, but with much shorter neck length. It is a chambering based on the work by Robert Chombart and Laurie Ingram - the latter of which died this year on 10th January 2010. Ingram+Chombart = INCH.

I am sort of doing this partly due to superior ballitics, and otherwise due to the memory of Laurie.

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Sounds similar to a 260AI - should be good. I remember Laurie shooting F-Open at the 2005 ACT Queens - good bloke.

Return to “General Forum”