LoadBase3 at OzHunting.com

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

MaxxxLogan

LoadBase3 at OzHunting.com

#1 Postby MaxxxLogan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 am

haven't been on here for a while, don't have the time to start up comp shooting.

wanted to do some long range shooting for fun.
and was looking for a ballistics software package.

was wondering if anyone has tried LoadBase3 from www.ozhunting.com
Australian agent for it apparently. don't see prices.

software looks impressive. any opinions?

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Haven't used it but as a possible alternative, if you have an iPhone or Ipod Touch I'm using a program called BulletFlight. Database of hundereds of commercially available and military projectiles including G7 BC's and the usual easy iPhone touch screen interface. Just a thought.

MaxxxLogan

#3 Postby MaxxxLogan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Did have a look at that one. I'm not totally convinced with the cheaper packages as there seems to be code ready for download on the internet and different guys change the user interface and call it their own. There is also Field Firing Solutions from www.longrangehunting.com.au but his marks up's seem a bit over the top I think, asking AU$429 but the package sells for US$200. Ok with GPS stuff added is US$300, surely they discount the software to their reseller. I don't get it. And is only a PDA version. I was going to get eXbal for US$70 just PDA, with PC and PDA US$120, same package as Nightforce software. But read some interesting stuff on LoadBase on US long range forums, guys that have tried all the top end packages swear by LoadBase. Don't mind paying a bit extra for a better package, shit my gear cost me nearly $5k, what's an extra couple of hundred. LoadBase sell's direct for US$148.50, is reasonable I think, will be interesting to see how much they resell here for.

Will send OzHunting an email regarding price, should be interesting.

MaxxxLogan

#4 Postby MaxxxLogan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Already got a reply.

Hmmm, intresting.

Quoted in US dollars, normal retail plus gst. US$163.35 inc, they said that way they can account for exchange rate changes and don't intend to change price. So it's at 0.85 excange rate $192.20 odd. All updates no charge. That's both the PC and mobile versions. Works on windows and windows mobile.

Sounds pretty good, heck of a lot better then $429. And if its really is better then ExBal, then it's a good price I think.

Any thoughts?

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:25 pm

sounds like a load of tactical wank to me.
bruce moulds.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

I'd be more inclined to buy Bryan Litz' book on ballistic (which includes a ballistic program) - http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/ind ... oducts.htm

Bryan has been a regular well respected contributor to discussions on ballistics on several internet forums over quite a few years now. Since publishing his book, Bryan has joined Berger as their ballistician & is the designer of their new range of hybrid projectiles.

bully_eye

#7 Postby bully_eye » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Not buying into the 'tactical wank' aspect- I won't be attaching my iPhone to any of my rifles any time soo- but as a resource for working out come ups for a new load that will get me on paper reliably at any range I'm likely to shoot at, it's a pretty good tool. Anyway each to their own.

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 pm

JBM is free.
bruce moulds.

bully_eye

#9 Postby bully_eye » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes it is

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm

1 shot 1 kill.
bruce moulds

stu_bear2002

#11 Postby stu_bear2002 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:10 am

i have an iphone and run both jbm and i-snipe for all my range work with great results, they also both work a treat if you want to use them on a stalk whilst out hunting aswell :D . both can be loaded with your own handloads etc etc, jbm i feel is the better of the 2 allowing for bullet spin drift and stability plus lots of other features that i wouldnt of thought about :roll: . FWIW i wouldnt be paying that much :shock: for a ballistic program when there is so many other alternatives around, but hey thats just my 2 cents worth.
stuart
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

MaxxxLogan

#12 Postby MaxxxLogan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

you guys have confused the crap out of me now...lol

on the US forums most of the serious long range hunters and comp shooters, swear by the top end packages. And have used the free ones and the cheap ones, and basically say u get what you pay for.

I'm just about to spend another 3K for a scope, but $200 for software is too much?!?!? If there is one thing that I have learnt the hard way, is every component needs to complement the assembly or team or group or set of tools. The weakest link will screw you, and make you doubt the rest of the equipment.

In hunting you don't get sight in shots. Your altitude varies daily so does temp and humidity. Any hunter worthy of his game will do the best that he can. We all spend shit load of hours and money tuning, loading tweaking.

Stu_bear2002 I have used JBM, it is crap. The velocity predictions are so far off, the calculations are majority theoretical. After playing with it for months, could not get repeatable results out too 500m. Junk.
There was another shity version I paid $29.95, on recommendation. I can't recall the brand. I could not get repeatability at 500m. I'm the fussiest bastard when it comes to data collection. It took me 4 months to fine tune my load, shoots out to 500m sub MOA, 4inch groups. I use two chrony's, shoot through both to get my velcities and everything. Yet these cheap packages just will not get me close enough on the first shot.

Most hunters take long range shooting for granted and think it is nothing to shoot 400 or 500m, it is not easy. So need a decent tool. Especially shots beyond 500m.

How do you guys do it in the comps? I guess things would change if you got no sight in shots.

Simon C

#13 Postby Simon C » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

I think that you find most F-Std experienced shooters will put their first sighting shot within 1-1.5MOA. Practice makes perfect!

I have shot many deer from ranges of 25m to just shy of 400m with a 308win. I have never wound a turret the whole time. I use a range finder (albeit rarely) for the longer shots where the distance is harder to judge and hold up if required for minute of deer accuracy....it works. Set the rifle up with a decent point blank range for your given projectile and go hunt.

The software is just a tool - it wont beat range experience. Exbal is works for me....I got it free so it's even better!! Your best bet would be to use it to get come ups for each distance you want to shoot and then field test from there. I'd put the money into something else like petrol to go hunting if it was me...
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

MaxxxLogan

#14 Postby MaxxxLogan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks Simon C...

I do agree with you to a point. I mean with Exbal you have a decent tool then. But if you didn't where too from there?

I think I'll bit the bullet, so to speak, and get it. I can put up a review, but it seems no one would be interested...LOL.. I have already wasted time and a little money on other stuff, screw it. Will see what happens since I already have plenty of data. Come to think of it, I would be able to try it out the next chance I get out to the field.

Let me know if anyone cares for a review...LOL

MaxxxLogan

#15 Postby MaxxxLogan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Done. Made the purchase got the software installed. Set away to get license, got it back. Set it up and running.

Must say I'm a bit taken back, was not expecting this much detail. This is much more then just a ballistics package, this is like a re-loaders dream. So much info. You can even come up with load from scratch, calculated expected out come using Powley Calculator.
Calculates your groups at the range!!!! Full on log book, you can take pics of targets and stuff and keep updated in log. This is pretty good.
Drag analysis of a projectile, you input dimensional data. This is full on. You could basically design a projectile from scratch. And you can compare the custom projectile against G1 G2 G5 G6 G7 G8 GB GI GL GS RA4, not that I know what the last four are...lol
Full on temperature velocity interpilation, you take velocity readings at diff temps and build a temp/velocity curve for your setup.
It has even a wind rose with zones. Awesome reticle hold over chart with heaps of models of scopes. Great conversions module.
I'm jumping all over and seeing what else it has.

Will put up more when I start filing it with my data.

Return to “General Forum”