Trends/scores in F class

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Trends/scores in F class

#1 Postby RDavies » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:28 am

Looking through scores 5-6 years back compared to now, and thinking what scores it took to win then compared to now, it seems that the level has definitley increased, especialy in F standard. 6 years ago, a 60 got you a well done, where as now, for the better shooters, anything other than a 60 (even on the smaller ICFRA targets) gets you a "what happened".
I think there are a few reasons for the changes.
First of all, back when F class first started, the shooters could be from 2 sides. There were those who came from full bore and had great wind reading and tactical skills, but not much experience with handloading for extreme accuraccy, and those who came from the hunting, Benchrest, SSAA tinkerer side, who had accurate rifles, but low tactical or wind reading skills. Now, the top shooters can reload and tune to near benchrest standards, but also read the wind/mirage very well.
The other thing which has changed, is rifle accuracy. Not so long ago, in F std, if you had a rifle which looked like a "gasp, shock horror", Benchrest rifle with heavy barrel, benchrest stock, and shiny action, you would be chased out by a mob armed with pitch forks and sticks. Now when you look at the line up in F std A grade, you would be hard pressed to find a rifle without, either a tuner, custom action or heavy barrel.

I think something else which might have changed is the effort and preparation put in by the top F class shooters now. When it first started, the average F class shooter might shoot a club shoot once every week or so, just plugging away, not putting much thought into gun handling, wind reading. The level and depth of competition, especialy in F standard means now there are a dozen shooters travelling around the country shooting at an internationaly competitive level, pretty much how fullbore has been for so long.
Just wondering how things will be in another 5-6 years. Will we start seeing more shoot offs for people being tied with 60.10 scores?
What trends to you think we will be seeing rifle and set up wise?

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm

The handicap system was once proposed. With that, every time you clear, your rifle is taken to a designated armourer & he detunes it by ¼ MOA. This goes on until you're back with the pack. :roll:

Seriously, I believe that there has been a quantum leap forward in technological excellence relatively recently. Hell, when I shot benchrest back in the late sixties/early seventies, they gave out badges when you shot a ½ MOA aggregate. I think the jump was when shooters realised that a belly 1000 yard gun could shoot nearly as well as a 1000 light BR rifle, component limitations not withstanding.

bobeager

F Scores

#3 Postby bobeager » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

I think it has much to do with the top F Class shooters "settling down". That is they have their gear configuration stable, their loads optimised and are now concentrating on shooting technique and reading conditions. Sure the equipment has improved, but do you think that the top fullbore shooters didn't have top level gear and optimised loads!!! I have seen a F/B guy shoot 6 or 7 super V's at 900 yds.. not an isolated case.

Return to “General Forum”