Match Rifle

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Ovenpaa

Match Rifle

#1 Postby Ovenpaa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 am

Not F Class but as Australia has some very good Match rifle shooters I thought I would ask...

Does anyone on this forum shoot MR and what can you tell me about the discipline? My take on it is:

It is shot with .308 with any weight of bullet.
Front hand is supported
Jacket and sling is permitted
CoF is 1000/1100/1200

Is there currently a leaning towards heavier or lighter bullets?

Is this a discipline that is easy enough to get into or should I have a T/R background?

Can I pull the bipod off my AI and have a bash or am I going to contravene all sorts of rules and regulations.

Cheers

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 am

This is the Aussie Match rifle site - the link is to the rules: http://www.matchrifle.org/About_Match_Rifle.htm

However, as you seem to be located in the UK, I suggest you give Karen Robertson at NRA Bisley a call. She usually ends up Adjudant of the Irish MR team. I'm sure that she could help you contact locals.

They shoot what they called a RG division at Bisley. Don't know how they describe it now their TR ammo is made elsewhere.

You'll find most Aussies shoot loads with 200-210 grain projectiles, though one or two still shoot the 190 SMK or Bergers around that weight. We're inclined to go for the last squeak of accurate velocity available, though that can be a challenge.

Ovenpaa

#3 Postby Ovenpaa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 am

Thank you for the link, it looks like a good starting point. Yes I am in the UK but I asked here first as I am yet to find an MT forum in the UK.

Karen Robertson as in editor of the NRA Journal? I know her from another forum so I will drop her a PM :D

Is anyone shooting the lighter stuff like 155's? Given good barrel length and a stout load of N540 they will work at a push to 1200 and I routinely shoot Scenar's to 1000 and 1100 with a 24" barrel and will push my luck at 1200 on a warm day.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 am

Yes, that Karen, the internet goddess.

The Scenars are about the same BC as our BJD HBCs which has been used. You really need to get them up well over 3000 fps for comfort but N540 could do that, though a 24" barrel might be marginal. The issue that you run into is is that they are emphatically wind sensitive relative to the heavier projectiles which can be a bit dispiriting at times.

Ovenpaa

#5 Postby Ovenpaa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am

I know some of our F/TR shooters are getting to 3050 fps with 155's and a decent length of barrel, I am already at the upper edge with mine and keep making mental notes to drop 3/10ths next time I load....

I shoot 7mm but cannot give up the .308 as it is such a challenge and fun to shoot and as MR does not seem to clash with F Open meetings it could be a goer, I just need to find out a bit more and see if I can get on with the style of shooting.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am

Incidentally, in Australia we have an F class division shooting Match rifle distances. When conditions are more readable & mirage less cruel, they shoot seriously better scores than the MR shooters do, but there have been numerous occasions when the two classes' scores were lineball.

Robert Chombart

Re: Match Rifle

#7 Postby Robert Chombart » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Ovenpaa wrote:Not F Class but as Australia has some very good Match rifle shooters I thought I would ask...

Does anyone on this forum shoot MR and what can you tell me about the discipline? My take on it is:

It is shot with .308 with any weight of bullet.
Front hand is supported
Jacket and sling is permitted
CoF is 1000/1100/1200

Is there currently a leaning towards heavier or lighter bullets?

Is this a discipline that is easy enough to get into or should I have a T/R background?

Can I pull the bipod off my AI and have a bash or am I going to contravene all sorts of rules and regulations.

Cheers

Ovenpaa,

Have again problems registeringwith UK Fullbore, therefore, I reply here.

At the time I was shooting MR, there was at Biisley during the Imperial a special class for those shooting RG Ammunition? Maybe this class still exist for the 'as issued' ammo?

I know of manny shooters having used the 155 grainers, but it is to know if your barrel acceot heavier bullets?

Tendancy is 190,200,210, but 175-185 grains might be a good start and a 12 inchs twist barrel would accept it.

Your equipment would not be at top (you would need an INCH and a 32 inch barrel 10 twist for that LOL), but the fun would be there anyway!!!

Robert
R.G.C.

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

or a stolle with a 32" barrel.
bruce moulds
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Robert Chombart

#9 Postby Robert Chombart » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

bruce moulds wrote:or a stolle with a 32" barrel.
bruce moulds

Bruce,

The mention was a joke between Ovenpaa and me...... Sure he had a good laugh reading it...

As you place it on technicalities, the Stolle action is certainly a good shooting, but the metallurgist who have some knowledge on aluminium preconisations would never recommend to use bare alloy, even 7075 for such an application... Hard anodisation being an absolute necessity in that case... Not only for wear and gallingresistance , but also saline atmosphere conditions..

Otherwise, the alloy, with the necessary steel inserts, has all the qualities reqquested.

R.G.C
R.G.C.

Ovenpaa

#10 Postby Ovenpaa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Robert Chombart wrote:
Ovenpaa,

Have again problems registeringwith UK Fullbore, therefore, I reply here.

At the time I was shooting MR, there was at Biisley during the Imperial a special class for those shooting RG Ammunition? Maybe this class still exist for the 'as issued' ammo?

I know of manny shooters having used the 155 grainers, but it is to know if your barrel acceot heavier bullets?

Tendancy is 190,200,210, but 175-185 grains might be a good start and a 12 inchs twist barrel would accept it.

Your equipment would not be at top (you would need an INCH and a 32 inch barrel 10 twist for that LOL), but the fun would be there anyway!!!

Robert
Hey Robert, I will ask the Viking to reset your password and mail it to you.

Not sure if the 'issue' ammunition class still exists, I have mailed Karen to see if she know more but no reply yet :( I am out with some 190's this weekend at 1000/1200 to see how I get on with my 1:12 barrel, it is only an experiment to see how they fly and I will also shoot a few 'MR' style with 155's and the 190's to also see how I get on. My preference has always been either 155 or 170 Lockbase with the 1:12 and I have a load of 155.5's Bergers

An INCH action with a 32" barrel is very appealing and I may just be in a position to fund one now, there is one in the UK but it has the wrong stock and barrel so speaking directly with Rod is a better idea. It makes me wonder if I could build a hybrid rifle for both MR and F/TR - my only concern would be the profile on the barrel to keep inside the weight limit, I suspect it would be slightly lighter than an F/TR rifle. The alternative is run a second barrel and switch them as required.

Does anyone contest both MR and F/TR with the same rifle?

I know a couple of shooters in F in the UK running Stolle actions, in fact one is running one of the very first ones and it is still going strong.

bobped

#11 Postby bobped » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:05 pm

What's a Stolle?
I'm only asking because my spellchecker doesn't recognise it, therefore I'm unable to find any synonyms.':?'':wink:"

Peddo

Ovenpaa

#12 Postby Ovenpaa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 pm

http://www.kelbly.com/actions.html

Built with weight in mind they are poplar with the bench rest crowd.

Cameron Mc

#13 Postby Cameron Mc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Plenty of Kelbly actions over here. They also make a F Class version.

RAVEN

#14 Postby RAVEN » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Humm I got one very shiny :lol: 8)

Return to “General Forum”