A Little bit of History

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bartman007

Compulsory - Military Service

#16 Postby bartman007 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:53 pm

One thing that may help in dealing with a few problems in our society, is to bring in compulsory Military Service. Be it for 3 months or 12 months, straight after High School.

A quick stint in the forces would drag Gen Y and all the newer Gen's into line. Wow, we can't just sit around all day and play X-Box, we have to actually get off our butts and do something.

It would give some Gen Y's with no direction in life, a taste of something good.

Tie that in with a requirement to keep your skills up to date by visiting a local range, then all of a sudden we may gain new members. Have the Army fund their ammo, and provide them with a club rifle, and we could see a return to the good old days.

Alas, Port Arthur has a lot to answer for. The changes to the State Laws saw us come under their control, which has only made it more cumbersome for those that enjoy our sport.

Is there any merit in us joining forces with SSAA and allowing them to spread their wings by opening up our ranges to them?

Lynn Otto

Re: Compulsory - Military Service

#17 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed May 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Two things here:
bartman007 wrote:
Is there any merit in us joining forces with SSAA and allowing them to spread their wings by opening up our ranges to them?

This has been mooted in the past, it caused some interesting 'discussion', I won't venture my opinion on the knot-headed reason for it not happening.

bartman007 wrote:One thing that may help in dealing with a few problems in our society, is to bring in compulsory Military Service. Be it for 3 months or 12 months, straight after High School.

This is an interesting concept that may cause some even more interesting discussion.
As the mother of a person who would have given his right arm to enlist and couldn't because of some now non existent knee issues, I have to say I'm not sure our military would be too happy with being responsible for babysitting our youngsters.

stu_bear2002

#18 Postby stu_bear2002 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm

One thing that may help in dealing with a few problems in our society, is to bring in compulsory Military Service. Be it for 3 months or 12 months, straight after High School.

we used to have such a program, it was called the nasho's. unfortunately the minority groups got there way once again and it was dropped. there was talk back in the late 80's of re-instating it however the pollies didnt want to loose their kids the armed forces so it got squashed yet again.
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

LEE .308

#19 Postby LEE .308 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 pm

In my experience the best thing that ever happened to some kids was the armed forces. Bring compulsory service back I say. bit of respect never hurt anyone. :x
Lee O'Keefe
Secretary
Sandford Rifle Club
Tas
http://sandfordrifleclub.com.au/

bartman007

#20 Postby bartman007 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:45 am

Great to see there is still some support for the nasho program.

Psst "Don't tell Gen Y".

Wouldn't it be cool to start a rumour on the web that the Australian Gov't were looking to bring it in, to assist with boosting its numbers in the service.

As Gen Y are all over the net, it wouldn't take long for the paranoia to set in :-)

You could tell them, "It's just like Halo, or Medal of Honor, or other shootem up games on the XBox". And at the end of the day, you get a great cooked meal.

LEE .308

#21 Postby LEE .308 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Facebook can be a powerful tool.... :twisted:
We could disguise it as a work for the dole scheme. Tell them they get three meals a day supplied and cooked, their washing done, housing supplied, learn new skills and free travel.And they can have it now with no experience necessary. It would have to get a few tongues waging surly. :lol:
Lee O'Keefe

Secretary

Sandford Rifle Club

Tas

Lynn Otto

#22 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm

LEE .308 wrote:Facebook can be a powerful tool.... :twisted:
We could disguise it as a work for the dole scheme. Tell them they get three meals a day supplied and cooked, their washing done, housing supplied, learn new skills and free travel.And they can have it now with no experience necessary. It would have to get a few tongues waging surly. :lol:

What's funny about this is that your description is almost word for word how the military are actually selling themselves with the exception that they include 'travel and see the world' as opposed to just free travel and I'm not sure they mention the free laundry. :lol:

LEE .308

#23 Postby LEE .308 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Not sure how the army get on as they used to smell a bit when we picked them up from an island exercise :lol:
On the ships we lived in overalls and had a ships laundry with a little door that used to clean them for us. Put them in the door and 12 hours later they would be on your rack all clean and fresh, it was great. Almost like home. :)
Lee O'Keefe

Secretary

Sandford Rifle Club

Tas

AlanF

#24 Postby AlanF » Sun May 15, 2011 12:10 pm

I received this e-mail from Mr Kilsby, who has apparently stumbled on this thread. Someone may wish to follow up on this.

I was made aware of the conversation going on, on the forum, about the decline in rifle shooting club numbers and interest in rifle shooting. You might wish to inform the group that if anyone is interested in rifle shooting history in Australia to please contact me as I am a good way through (about 120,000 words so far) writing a commissioned history of the NRAA and rifle shooting in Australia (not sports shooters) which stretches from about 1838 and will end in 1988 (I’m currently in the period 1946-65). The History will be published in early 2012 and probably available to shooters by pre-order at the World Championships at Belmont later this year. While I don’t claim to know everything about the history of the sport, especially on detail of clubs and ranges, I do know a good deal and may be able to help with queries; I’m also completing a PHD at ADFA on the relationship between rifle clubs and defence to 1920.

Best regards,
Andrew Kilsby

Coo-ee History and Heritage
www.cooeehistory.com

0408 342 795

Return to “General Forum”