Ordering trueflite barrel- Customs Form

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Ordering trueflite barrel- Customs Form

#1 Postby Brad Y » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am

Been emailing trueflite about getting a barrel over, just wondering if the B709a has a cost attached to it somewhere ie customs charging for it etc? It seems trueflite now send direct to Aust (not running distributors) but need this form to send out of NZ.

Anyone done this?

aaronraad

#2 Postby aaronraad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm

I believe the import permits can be obtained or dowloaded from your State's Weapons Licensing branch. I had a quick look at the fees section for Qld and there is no fee assciated with the application.

Reloading International seems to agreed, but can you ever trust a website??

http://www.reloadinginternational.com/pages/ordering-instructions-for-australia
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

TTBS28

Importing from True-flite

#3 Postby TTBS28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Hello Brad,

Jeff Roberts from Adelaide here. I am in the middle of this process with True-flite right now so may be able to help a little. Sometime ago I contacted TF about purchasing goods from them and eventually ordered 2 x Barrel Block stocks and three barrels for Matthew and I. I checked the Customs web-site for their requirements and also went to see them to make sure of what was needed ( first time for importing firearms parts for me ). In a nut-shell - stocks don't need any forms but barrels and actions do. Actions are a bit more involved but barrels simply need a B709A as you indicated. In SA I contacted the SA Police Firearms Dept and they said that all I needed to do was send them an email with all on the info - I did this and included a copy of my TF invoice and a copy of my firearms licence. I also told them what I wanted the barrels for - just to help if needed. It took 4 weeks to get the B709A in the post and as soon as it arrived I emailed a copy to TF and goods were sent within a few days.
For what it is worth TF's service and answers to my questions has been magnificent - absolute best people to deal with. The B709A cost ZERO - something for nothing for a change !!
My goods are at the Adelaide airport right now - held by Aust Air Express. Last thursday I received a phone call to say the goods were there. I had to pay a $75-00 handling fee and then go to Customs on friday to give them the B709A and show 100 points of ID. They gave me a photocopy for my records. I was then told to go to a Customs Broker who could arrange for the necessary Customs Declaration which is needed before I can collect the goods. If you are only getting a single barrel ( or two ) and the invoice is less than A$1000-00 you may not have to do this step - check with Customs. My Freight Forwarder processed this electronically today and I believe Customs will then need to marry up this process with the paperwork I gave them on friday and, with a bit of luck, the declaration will be available tomorrow so I can collect the goodies - looking forward to this bit !!!
Now - a bit of advice. IF you do have to get a Broker involved to clear your package make sure you do all of the steps as fast as you possibly can. I have been told today that Aust Air Express charge storage fees after 1 day and the minimum rate is about $35-00 per day !!!!! AND, to make matters worse, they charge for weekends too. SO, this means I could be up for about 4 days fees - not happy Jan !!!
If it happens I will have a bit of a fight about it although I know it will probably not do any good in the end. Will keep you posted on this but just do it fast if you go ahead with an order.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards..........Jeff. Roberts

AlanF

Re: Ordering trueflite barrel- Customs Form

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Brad Y wrote:Been emailing trueflite about getting a barrel over, just wondering if the B709a has a cost attached to it somewhere ie customs charging for it etc? It seems trueflite now send direct to Aust (not running distributors) but need this form to send out of NZ.

Anyone done this?

I imported just a barrel a couple of months ago in Vic. Downloaded the B709A, posted the completed form to the Police - the approval was back in about a fortnight. I then e-mailed a scanned copy of that to Tru-Flite. Had the barrel about 10 days later. No charge from Vic Police, and no customs duty, but True-Flite charged a $NZ25 "Export administration fee".

Tip: Make sure the address on the B709A is identical with your delivery address.

Alan

TTBS28

True-Flie Imports

#5 Postby TTBS28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello Alan,

You got away with this because the Aust dollar value was less than $1000-00. If it had gone over the $1000-00 mark you would have been clobbered by Customs and had to go through the longer process with added costs. Definitely better to keep it low and get separate shipments if you want more pieces.

Also think I should move to Vic !! Would have been happy with two weeks turn around.

Regards.............Jeff.

AlanF

Re: True-Flie Imports

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 pm

TTBS28 wrote:Hello Alan,

You got away with this because the Aust dollar value was less than $1000-00. If it had gone over the $1000-00 mark you would have been clobbered by Customs and had to go through the longer process with added costs. Definitely better to keep it low and get separate shipments if you want more pieces.

Also think I should move to Vic !! Would have been happy with two weeks turn around.

Regards.............Jeff.

Jeff,

Yes the the sub $A1000 strategy is the key I think. We seem to be blessed with a good bunch of people in the Vic Police firearms services at present. We actually have our local Police Firearms Officer as an active member of the range. Its a win win situation when sporting shooters maintain a good relationship with police.

Alan

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 am

AlanF wrote:
... We seem to be blessed with a good bunch of people in the Vic Police firearms services at present. We actually have our local Police Firearms Officer as an active member of the range. Its a win win situation...

Alan

Just make sure you keep marking his line burners with the higher score on the target :lol: ...you know for the greater good and all
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 am

aaronraad wrote:Just make sure you keep marking his line burners with the higher score on the target :lol: ...you know for the greater good and all

We wouldn't contemplate for a moment that sort of behaviour at our range :shock: (but I have seen some visiting sponsors get an exceptional number of Xes at 1000yds :lol: ).

Alan

Seddo

#9 Postby Seddo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:42 am

if its over $1000 you will be up for:
10%GST
5% Duty (not applicable if there is a trade agreement in place)
$55 customs entry fee
broker fees (mine is $99 plus a credit surcharge)

If the barrels come by post customs will put them abck into the mail stream for you, if they come over freight you will have to pick them up from the freight company. Toll charge $47 per day for storage and that kicks in after the goods have been on the ground for 24 hours so make sure all permits are done before the goods arrive.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “General Forum”