WARA Shop Running Out of Projectiles

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Sambo

WARA Shop Running Out of Projectiles

#1 Postby Sambo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm

I received the following today, as did a lot of others.

Sent: Wednesday, 29 August 2012 11:06 AM

Subject: Projectiles

Some information on Projectiles for your own knowledge and if you could pass on to clubs in your district.

Sierra 80 Grain May come in to Australia soon (no date given)
Sierra 156 Grain Unlikely to come in to Australia for several months
HBC Manufacturer has run out of copper, however they are hoping to start manufacturing soon (no date given).

As was explained at the Council meeting we have sold in excess of 142,000 HBC since May.

Steve

Stephen Jenkin
Executive Officer
West Australian Rifle Association

And I am not real happy because I will be short about 50 projies for the Queens and will have to shoot with something else. Or I will have to find one of the many people who bought by the box over the last few months and beg for some.

I've been very supporting of HBC, but they are testing my loyalty now.

How are the other States fairing?

Quick

#2 Postby Quick » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Damn, that sucks!!!! Thank god Im gona shoot Open for the Queens.

Maybe this is the push thats needed for the NRAA to open up the projie rules as we seem to be at the mercy of a a few different companies and its going to start annoying people I think. Well its annoying me for sure. I did have a 155gr SMK load going well but low and behold, I cant get any projies anymore for it anymore.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Feel for you guys, I got caught in the last drought a few months back. I stocked up on HBC's then and WONT be caught again. Sambo- send me a pm and i can help you out to get you shooting the event. I cant make it due to a baby arriving but Im happy to help out someone who needs it.

Time for a few people to start shooting open if they cant get get 155's. Grab some 175's and get out there- Adam Davies proved its possible to do well. FS has taken off in WA and the sales of HBC's shows the popularity of the 308's obviously, but shooting 175's in open wouldnt be a bad thing. Would be good to see numbers up in that division and heck it would give you a better chance of winning as Hallam and Oates will no doubt be shooting FS :lol:

Sambo

#4 Postby Sambo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the offer Brad, but I'll call in a few favours closer to home.

I'm a TR shooter so heavier projies won't be an option for me. I don't think I'd be competitive in FS shooting off the elbows!

Sam

aaronraad

#5 Postby aaronraad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 pm

If I thought there was a reasonable chance of getting the green light in the next 6 months, I would have started ordering materials and building stock for G7L-308-155 and G7L-224-80 production months ago.

I don't think the ICFRA rulings help by having an open projectile ruling you can drive a bus through. You risk your country not being competitive at the next international event if your teams don't use/have access to the 'best BC' projectiles going around week-in week-out. It's fine for the ICFRA to create the rule but they don't have to supply the projectiles????

As I've said before the TR guys should have a fixed design, weight, BC etc that can be made by any manufacturer. If the projectile is the correct weight and fits inside a gauge (split bullet die) it passes. Hopefully they can sort out the issue before it becomes a full scale problem.

The last thing shooters need to do now is to start panic buying. Shooters with hoards of projectiles will have to share at some stage if they want any other shooters to compete against.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Sambo

#6 Postby Sambo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 am

Panic buying has caused this problem. A years worth of HBC's sold in 4 months? and that isn't due to new shooters or an expanding market for HBC's. In fact, I'd say the last supply interruption has left them with a reduced customer base.

It must be a headache for the manufacturer. Can't keep up with demand at the moment, but at some point people are going to have to start using their stockpiles.

Aaron, TR should go the other way and allow any projectile. Then we wouldn't be in this mess of only having one projectile (the least popular one too) available.

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am

Sambo wrote:Aaron, TR should go the other way and allow any projectile. Then we wouldn't be in this mess of only having one projectile (the least popular one too) available.

It definitely has to be completely controlled or completely open. The half'n'half obviously itsn't working in the short to medium term for shooters, the NRAA, or the manufacturers. It might come good in the long term, but that might seem to be too late for a number of TR shooters. :(

Don't think I can't see all you F T/R, F Standard and F Open advocates out their rubbing your hands together :lol:

...speaking of emails from State Associations...

I emailed last Sunday asking if I could retail/on-consignment projectiles through their store/shop. They shop/store responded on Tuesday by stating 'Shooting Rules' meant they unable to distribute any projectiles not 'supplied' by the NRAA, including those for F Class Open shooters? :?:

Spoke with another State store/shop late last week and they were more than happy to receive some samples ASAP. :D

I can only assume that certain store/shops have a certain amount if independence from the NRAA in their purchasing and retailing decisions? :?
But I'm sure they spend a good amount of time dismissing businesses offering projectiles and other shooting goods for sale on their self space. :oops:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:45 am

aaronraad wrote:...shop/store responded on Tuesday by stating 'Shooting Rules' meant they unable to distribute any projectiles not 'supplied' by the NRAA, including those for F Class Open shooters? :?:...

Aaron,

That doesn't sound like correct advice (to use polite terminology. :D ). Association shops can of course have their own policy on what they sell, buts its incorrect to say the shooting rules in any way prevent them from stocking projectiles which aren't legal for SOME shooting categories.

Regards
Alan

PS Testing your projectiles will have to wait another week - family time.

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:06 pm

I can't imagine why any gun shop wouldn't welcome stocking an unproven product from an unknown manufacturer.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Agreed- obviously some shops are open to the idea of stocking gear that FO shooters might use others arent.

Now correct me if I interpret the rules wrong but for FS isnt it against the rules for people to use approved projectiles but source them from another place other than the state association? Could that be where that shop is getting confused?

Aaron btw, hopefully my new gun will ready sooner than first thought so keep me in mind if you get a batch of 6.5's done. The reamer is still going to take the longest out of all the components but Im going to remain mildly optimistic that it will be here early because I used good manners in my email to them :lol:

aaronraad

#11 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm

johnk wrote:I can't imagine why any gun shop wouldn't welcome stocking an unproven product from an unknown manufacturer.

I think you're right, it doesn't take a lot of imagination. Gun shops probably put 'known manufacturers' with 'proven products' into imagination overload when they won't stock their product either.

I guess it could be worse. I could be trying to manufacture barrels, actions, triggers, powder, primers etc.

aaronraad

#12 Postby aaronraad » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Brad Y wrote: The reamer is still going to take the longest out of all the components but Im going to remain mildly optimistic that it will be here early because I used good manners in my email to them :lol:

Who do you use for reamers? Clymer, Pacific or other?

mike H

#13 Postby mike H » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm

If we allow 24 rounds per shooter for 48 weeks that comes to 1008 rounds, round off to 1,000 rounds, so that means WA has 142 members/shooters, why would anyone bother to look after that market. Personaly I think we expect too much of our rifle associations.

Sambo

#14 Postby Sambo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 pm

mike H wrote:If we allow 24 rounds per shooter for 48 weeks that comes to 1008 rounds, round off to 1,000 rounds, so that means WA has 142 members/shooters, why would anyone bother to look after that market. Personaly I think we expect too much of our rifle associations.

You haven't allowed for shooters using any other projectile (or calibre), or factory ammo. I think there are around 500 WARA members.

Why would HBC bother to look after a State RA? Because that is their market.

Sambo

#15 Postby Sambo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

WARA shop is back in action! I received the following today.

308 Projectiles:

50,000 HBC’s have now arrived at the WARA shop.
155 G Sierra - NRA cannot supply till November .

223 Projectiles:
Now have 12000 80G Sierra Projectiles in stock .
Also have supplies of Nozzler 80gn projectiles with a further order expected later this week
6,000 Amex Projectiles also arrived last week.

Looking towards next year:
155.5gn Bergers have been ordered and the new 80gn HBC 223 projectiles have also been ordered. Watch this space for further updates.

That's the first I've heard of HBC .223 projies, anyone have more info?

Return to “General Forum”