How to shoot OPM's in NSW?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

How to shoot OPM's in NSW?

#1 Postby DenisA » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi guys and gals,

In NSW do you need to be a NSWRA member to shoot prize meets?

As a QLDer, If I were to try and shoot a NSW prize meet, would my QRA membership be enough?

How does a new shooter from NSW go about entering OPM's and such?

I found this calander with no dates set yet. Is it the correct one?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

Thanks.

bsouthernau

#2 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 am

As long as you're a full member you can shoot anywhere in the country - just turn up with your gear and entry fee. If you're a bit uncertain about it all why not go to a shoot with someone else from your club?

That calendar looks like someone's working document - I look in the ATR.

Barry

DenisA

#3 Postby DenisA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:58 am

bsouthernau wrote:As long as you're a full member you can shoot anywhere in the country - just turn up with your gear and entry fee. If you're a bit uncertain about it all why not go to a shoot with someone else from your club?

That calendar looks like someone's working document - I look in the ATR.

Barry

I have been shooting OPM's here in QLD. I'm keen to shoot a couple in NSW next year and wasn't sure of the requirements there.
It might be hard trying to find a club member willing to travel for a few days stay.

That calanders from the NSWRA website. I suspected that was the equivilent of QRA.

Whats the ATR?

bsouthernau

#4 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 pm

DenisA wrote:
Whats the ATR?

The magazine - Australian Target Rifle. Do be careful transporting your firearms in NSW. I THINK it's mandatory to have them locked up and secured to the vehicle while in transit. I do it as a matter of course although it's not mandatory here in Victoria or in Qld.

Perhaps someone from NSW can put us straight on this one?

Barry

John E

#5 Postby John E » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:03 pm

There was a problem ( and there still may be ) with State Police, particularly NSW police, putting their own interpretations on State firearm carriage laws, resulting in interstate visitors with firearms being harrassed on crossing the border. As a result of this, the SSCV ( Shooting Sports Council of Victoria ) contacted every State Firearms Registry and requested their requirements for carriage of firearms. Every State Registry responded to this request.
From my memory, I believe that in NSW, the requirement is for the firearm to be stowed out of sight, in the rear passenger area or boot of the vehicle. If the firearm is a category C, then it must be secured to the vehicle.
A category A or B firearm could therefore be on the back seat with a blanket over it, or stored in the boot.
I will see if I still have the correspondence to verify what I have said, but you could simply google NSW firearms laws, carriage of, and you should find it.

John

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:16 pm

I take the bolt out, and shove a blanket over it,.... thats about it !

i will bet plenty of sporting shooters do not even do that ....

and of course i carry the ammo seperately !

andrew

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Maybe I'm over the top, but if I'm in the ute which has a lockable toolbox/rifle case. Then my rifle and bolt is locked in its gun case and my ammo is sperately locked. If I'm in my station wagon, then the rifle and bolt are locked in the gun case which is secured by chain and padlocks to the vehicle. Ammo is in a seperate locked container.

Cheers

Danny

John E

#8 Postby John E » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Found it.
NSW Safe storage of firearms, pages 8 & 9

When firearms are in transit, owners must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that they are kept in a place of safety which will prevent unauthorised access or use.
The Commissioner would consider the following precautions reasonable in these circumstances:
The use of devices such as trigger locks or other commercial devices designed to reduce the risk of unauthorised use of the firearm/s, and

the weapon being placed, unloaded, out of sight, in the boot/trunk or other concealed area of a locked motor vehicle or room of a residence, and

ammunition must be locked in a separate container inside the vehicle e.g. in the boot/trunk, glove box or a locked container in a vehicle.

Where firearms must be carried in public or on public transport, the firearm/s should be suitably concealed in a carry case or wrapped so as to be unobtrusive to members of the public.

Transportation of privately owned prohibited firearms and pistols:
When transporting your category C,D and H firearms or other firearms prohibited under schedule 1 of the Act, you must:
ensure the firearms are not loaded and any ammunition is kept separate, and render the firearm temporarily incapable of firing. This may be achieved by removing the bolt or firing mechananism or fitting a trigger lock or similar device;
An alternative to this may also be to place the firearm/s in a locked container that is properly secured to the vehicle.

Primary producers and their employees who are conveying firearms where a reasonable likelihood exists that the firearms may be required to kill vermin or stock, may be exempted from these requirements.

Interesting to note that securing the prohibited category firearm in a locked container to the vehicle is listed as simply an alternative.

John

John E

#9 Postby John E » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Just had another look, and my paperwork dates back to 2004, and I think the Act was updated in 2006.
If you log onto NSW Police Online - Firearms - Transportation of Firearms,
you can get the info. It doesn't seem to have changed from the earlier Act, as far as I can see.

John

johnk

#10 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Ultimately, you have to be able to secure your firearm when you get to your destination as well. I concluded that a locked box secured to the vehicle with ammo separately locked & secured - with bolt(s) locked in the glove box makes me comfortable that I am not going to face issues of Police interpretation or, more importantly, theft.

I cross too many borders in my travels to expose myself to unnecessary risks.

John

Return to “General Forum”