Target rifle or F Std???

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

ADDS222

Target rifle or F Std???

#1 Postby ADDS222 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 pm

I am doing a budget build of an Omark .223 1/8T TSE re barrel, davies trigger etc... I have mostly shot Fullbore/Smallbore off and on over the last 20yrs. I am having a bit of trouble deciding if i should scope it or Central it?? What are most shooting these days? F Class?? I have allways liked shooting the full black with the Central but i could be weakening towards a scope/rest. F class still a fair challenge given the ranges i guess.
AUSSIE OMARKS = GOOD STUFF!!!

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Why not talk to your clubmates? By definition, if not fact, we're all committed to some form of F class here & aren't likely to give you a balanced view.

Bear in mind the F class major ring is several times smaller in area than the TR one.

John

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 pm

How old are you and how is your eye sight? A few shooters switch from TR to F Class when they start having problems with holding the rifle, or focusing on the central sights. Of course, being a predominantly F Class forum, people will tell you to go to F Class, but then again, TR could do with some more new generation shooters, so which ever you choose, you cant go wrong.

DannyS

#4 Postby DannyS » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Add222.

TR shooters are short of numbers, so that can be a good option. As for F Class, its so easy, we use scopes, front rest, rear bag, so,no skill at all. Oh, sorry, I forgot to,mention that our target is basically 1/4 the size in area. If we shoot a 5 (bullseye) we are a point down.

Wind reading I think is more critical in f class, but I stand to be corrected.

What ever you decide to do, then I'm sure you will have a good time.

As previous replies have mentioned, we are a f class site and therefore we can be a bit one sided.

Most important part is to enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Cheers
Danny

OuttaAmmo

#5 Postby OuttaAmmo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 pm

I just don't even see the attraction of TR, good eyes or not. :-p
Wearing a hot heavy jacket doesn't help persuade me either.

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Almost all of the new shooters at our range in the past 3 years have taken up f class, rather than target rifle. The few that have gone to target rifle came from smallbore, afaik

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:22 am

DannyS wrote:

Wind reading I think is more critical in f class, but I stand to be corrected.

Spot on there Danny. I do a bit of both and find the level of decision making in F Class more mentally taxing although TR is more physically demanding.

Barry

ADDS222

F Class maybe??

#8 Postby ADDS222 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 pm

RDavies wrote:How old are you and how is your eye sight? A few shooters switch from TR to F Class when they start having problems with holding the rifle, or focusing on the central sights. Of course, being a predominantly F Class forum, people will tell you to go to F Class, but then again, TR could do with some more new generation shooters, so which ever you choose, you cant go wrong.

Hi I am 41y.o and have mainly shot fullbore and smallbore over the last 20+ years until we lost our range. I still shoot the odd bit of smallbore at club only level. I once was pretty serious about smallbore, doing weights, dry fire practice every night shooting pennant etc.. but it just got like too much hard work and the fun went away. Done my head in, but came away with a 587 PB. Now i shoot with the SSAA Vic Military rifle club with the .303, and was thinking of scoping my .223 Omark so i can also shoot it in the sniper class shoot we do and the odd bit of F class when i am passing a VRA range. Decisions decisions?? Think thats the plan thus far.

DannyS

#9 Postby DannyS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi ADDS222, all I can say, is come and give it a try, f class is great fun, but its not as easy as it might look, but welcome aboard.

Please be advised this sport can become highly addictive, enter with caution.

Cheers
Danny :)

ADDS222

#10 Postby ADDS222 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

DannyS wrote:Hi ADDS222, all I can say, is come and give it a try, f class is great fun, but its not as easy as it might look, but welcome aboard.

Please be advised this sport can become highly addictive, enter with caution.

Cheers
Danny :)

Thanks Danny. I shot it years ago with a mates .308 Omark when F class was pretty new to NRAA. The mate wont let me shoot his rifle again cos i beat him with it. LOL Im know its great fun, and it allows the utmost concentration on the conditions without having to also concentrate on holding a slung rifle. I better renew my VRA membership!

ADDS222

#11 Postby ADDS222 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

RDavies wrote:How old are you and how is your eye sight? A few shooters switch from TR to F Class when they start having problems with holding the rifle, or focusing on the central sights. Of course, being a predominantly F Class forum, people will tell you to go to F Class, but then again, TR could do with some more new generation shooters, so which ever you choose, you cant go wrong.

My elbows do play up from time to time from too much smallbore on concrete floors! I probably need a new jacket and mat, but then again, that money maybe better spent on a good F class scope.

DannyS

#12 Postby DannyS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

So Adds, how many years ago, was that before supercentres became vogue? Yes, renew your VRA membership and welcome aboard. Omarks with the right nut behind the butt can still give a good score.

Its all about having a good time, a great sport and some really good friendships to be made.

Cheers
Danny

ADDS222

#13 Postby ADDS222 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm

DannyS wrote:So Adds, how many years ago, was that before supercentres became vogue? Yes, renew your VRA membership and welcome aboard. Omarks with the right nut behind the butt can still give a good score.

Its all about having a good time, a great sport and some really good friendships to be made.

Cheers
Danny

Yeah Danny it was way before supers, probably late 90's. Nothing wrong with the Omarks, I shot my way into A grade Fullbore with 287.21 with my first .308 one and it cost me $300. There was a fair few Barnards worth almost 10 times that at that comp. My ears were burning i think. I fluked beating Geoff Grenfell at 600yds at Bacchus Marsh once too! He dropped one and i got the lot! Certainly dont happen very often tho! LOL

mick6220

#14 Postby mick6220 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am

Hey guys just looking for an opinion on the savage 12 benchrest in .308 for f class

Seddo

#15 Postby Seddo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am

There is nothing to say you can shoot both with an omark? One of the guys at my club shoots TR and has a base that doesnt get in the way with the peep's so when he feels like it he pulls the peep and drops a scope on it. Best of both worlds!!
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “General Forum”