Chairing in the winner

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Chopper

Chairing in the winner

#1 Postby Chopper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 pm

We still dont know why ? any one ? if we want to do it ? wouldnt be the same without bagpipes ? got a scott mate to do it but he doesnt know why ?Chop

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm

because it is a tradition of the queens prize.
fclass does not shoot for the queens prize.
we have yet to develop our traditions. someone just needs the right idea to start them.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

bartman007

#3 Postby bartman007 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm

fclass does not shoot for the queens prize.
we have yet to develop our traditions. someone just needs the right idea to start them.

Bruce, I don't think we need to go away from the Queen's format, it has worked for 100+ years in Australia.

I just think that the TR discipline needs to be dropped in favour of the newer technology F Class discipline :P

That would make our sport of shooting keep up with the times, and possibly make it more appealing to the newer shooters in our sport.

Give a kid today a choice between a bat and ball, or a piece of technology, and 9 times out of 10 they'll go the technology.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 pm

If the F Class winners could crowd surf over a mosh pit on the way to the podium to the sound of dubstep music, THAT WOULD bring the young ones in.
I like seeing the TR winners chaired in with bagpipes, it adds a touch of class and tradition to the event.

Chopper

#5 Postby Chopper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 pm

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A QUEENS BADGE IS ?? BART?? CHOP.

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 pm

tr is good.
fclass is good.
united we stand.
keep safe,
bruce.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am

In WA last year the winner of FS Bill Hallam and myself FO got to walk in front of the chaired TR winner plus we got to sit up with the dignitaries etc. Apparently it is a big deal as it hasnt happened before, but I still get a bit of a feeling its a boys club and F Classers, the 21st Century and younger shooters arent all that welcome. Its ok as I know our numbers are rising alot quicker than others.

It was funny over the weekend, I wore a long sleeve micromesh polo shirt to protect me from the sun and keep me cool. Plus a pair of quicksilver boardshorts (polka dot ones :lol: ) and a pair of sneakers. I got a compliment from some guy saying it was cool that I looked like I just got out of the surf and laid down shooting. Just smiled and thanked him. But at the end of the last day after winning I was told my attire over the weekend wasnt very suitable nor appropriate for shooting. Well I didnt get sunburnt, I stayed cool most of the time and when we sat up in the sun at the presentations I felt more appropriately dressed than everyone else wearing suits and ties etc who were sweating thier arses off :lol:

Screw it, Im going for the same polka dot shorts and shirts this year too.

Brad Y

#8 Postby Brad Y » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 am

RDavies wrote:If the F Class winners could crowd surf over a mosh pit on the way to the podium to the sound of dubstep music, THAT WOULD bring the young ones in.
I like seeing the TR winners chaired in with bagpipes, it adds a touch of class and tradition to the event.

Rod, I did ask if they would serve jager bombs, flaming sambucca and absinthe at the bar and provide skimpies for entertainment but so far no joy. Will keep you in the loop to come over here when it happens.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 am

With the average age of TR shooters continuing to rise, and less of them to choose from, the time will come when the chair ride becomes a health and safety issue. I noticed in a recent US photo that the seat of the chair was at the level of the carry handles. Maybe someone got tipped out so they introduced the new model with lower C of G.

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:56 am

Brad,

I cant believe someone had a complain at what you wore!!!!!!! Jeezus!!!!!

Maybe we need to start holding an F-Class only competition and see what the numbers we get are. TR could be very surprised......
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

bartman007

#11 Postby bartman007 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:19 am

tr is good.
fclass is good.
united we stand.

Bruce, I must agree!

Maybe we need to approach the State associations (once we agree on what we want), and let them know what prizes we would like to receive at a Queen's event.

Maybe the Badge system can be thrown out, and another Trophy or REAL Gold/Silver medals be introduced instead. Like the olympics? But make them more appealing than the range gong's we have got in the past.

Then provide a trophy for first, like a March Scope :-) mmmmmm that'd be nice!

bruce moulds

#12 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

up until now, all the prizes have been donated by t.r.
it is now time for fclass guys to donate quality silver trophies for what they want.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.
keep safe,
bruce.

Norm

#13 Postby Norm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Today’s, Tr and f Class shooters are like a bunch of surfers riding their own little waves. If they just looked over their shoulder they would see a giant Tsunami of modern shooters heading their way.
Sales of modern scopes with target turrets and BDC type reticles etc are booming. These scopes are being fitted to modern rifles that can be quite accurate. In the future, the owners of these rifles will be looking for places to shoot and compete, this is where the Tsunami will come from. When the mass of shooters at Queens events shoot with scopes, what will be the point of chairing off a TR shooter.

The question is, can our form of shooting evolve quickly enough to cater for these shooters and so ensure that our local clubs will survive into the future.

One way that I can see this happening is to introduce a lower weight class into F-Class. That class would have a weight limit that would cater for light weigh factory rifles and exclude the full blown heavy weight F-Class rifles. Prize meets with distances more appropriate to this class would encourage these shooters to compete.

Just imagine if you can, a shooter with a Tikka T3 in 260 Rem being chaired off at a Queens.

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 pm

What we do have to keep in mind is that in Queens shoots, The TR A grade numbers are are fair bit more than each particular F Class division. We are shooting on the ranges they built in a sport which originated from TR shooting. TR started the tradition of chairing.
In time, yes, F Class numbers will continue to climb, even more so if there is a lighter weight sporter rifle class (I believe there has been talk of S (sporter) Class overseas.
In the meantime, we just have to wait for our numbers to increase until they are higher than TR if it is going to be fair that we are the ones being chaired in. In Raton when the F class shooters were chaired in, there were nearly 100 in each discipline and 3 prizes. When we are getting 40+ shooters in a division, as we have seen in F std A grde, then, yes it might be time to start having an F Class chair as well. (Exept when Big John wins next, I,m not gonna carry him with my back :lol: ).
As for prizes, F Class shooters spend up with equipment and components, so maybe some of the F Class equipment and component suppliers can start to sponsor the prizes.
While TR shooters are running the big comps, I think it is natural that there will be a slight bias towards them. Will you be fair with the TR shooters when you run shoots?
Last edited by RDavies on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillh

#15 Postby phillh » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Rod, from a TR's point of view "Well Said Mate!" You hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Phill

Return to “General Forum”