Running an Open Day

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Bart

Running an Open Day

#1 Postby Bart » Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I just wanted to get peoples idea’s on organising and running an open day to try to get more members into our club. I want to run TR and F-Class and have an excellent coach in the club to take the TR side, I have approached and received an offer from a very knowledgeable gentleman who I hope will bring his off-siders for F-Class as we are thin on the ground there.

I am preparing a promotional piece to put into the local newspaper – should this just be brief or more in-depth detailing what we are all about? Additional flyers to go around the town?

I have a .223 and .308 F-Class Std rifle, (there is also a .308 TR club rifle); do we offer those who attend a full 10 shot round each / play it by ear?

Which range to use – if attendees bring a rifle of their own, which may be a hunting rifle, do we stay close, ie 300 yards, in which case with the more dedicated equipment the targets are possibly going to get a hiding.

Cost to attendees – club to wear the cost / or run a bbq and charge for this and give ammo?

Time of day – morning or afternoon; Day – Saturday or Sunday?

Any ideas welcome.

Sorry for the essay but I’m keen for this to work :)

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 pm

bart,
these are good questions.
there is an old saying, something like,"they forget what you said, they forget what you did, but they always remember how you made them feel".
as long as you stick to this you won't go too wrong.
you are also considering logistics and promotion, things which are a must.
all the best with it,
keep safe,
bruce.
p.s. might see you at loxton no11 dra prize shoot.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

DaveMc

#3 Postby DaveMc » Thu May 16, 2013 7:12 am

Sounds great Bart - We commonly say up here "hand someone an accurate 6BR or 223 at 300 and you will have a new member". This goes along with what Bruce says ("how do you make them feel"). Get them out there and hammering the 6 and x ring with light recoil and a rifle that feels really nice to shoot and they will be hooked. It is a small price to pay for a new centre and a few rounds to gain new members. :)

Conversely if you take them out to long range in windy conditions the experience has the potential to send them packing.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I think 500yds would be a good distance. The 500yd target is one of the higher scoring ones, but it looks and sounds like a long way. It is still possible to hit at that distance with a hunting rifle, but it would feel more impressive for a new shooter to get a decent score at a LONG range like 500yds.
Besides, they can shoot 2-300yds at most SSAA ranges they have likely been to before.

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I dunno rod, 500 is a heck of a way for a non-tacticool hunting rifle with a 3-9 power scope. I tried my 308 "american classic stainless" savage at 300 the other day, with no wind, and it was pretty challenging ... about a 4 inch group, on the second try, with the horizontal crosshair lined up a shade below the target top ( its sighted to about 75 yds)

The other thing is to have binoculars or a spotting scope so you can see the marking disk for the score to figure out how much to aim off., given the scope magnification may not be adequate.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I think whether it be 300 or 500, don't advertise what can be done by a good shooter with a good rifle - a 4 inch group at 300 will be a big thrill for a new shooter - so no mention of that 60.10 with Matt's rifle macguru. :D

Return to “General Forum”