Who comes first, the Club or the DRA.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

Who comes first, the Club or the DRA.

#1 Postby Norm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 pm

A situation occurs in our area, where the representatives of the local district rifle association have vote on a motion that appears to be binding to its affiliate clubs.
This motion bans any shooting on club ranges on days where the district rifle association is holding a shoot.

The idea is to encourage as many club members as possible to attend the district shoot by stopping them from shooting on their home range on these days.

However some clubs have members that have no interest in competing in these events and claim they are being disadvantaged over this decision. As It stands we face the prospect of losing members over this issue and as a small club we cannot afford to have this happen.

So what’s the answer?

Seddo

#2 Postby Seddo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 pm

It is an interesting question and you know my point of view. I joined my Club, not the DRA.

I know the DRA is trying to promote shooting in its area but stopping people shooting (even chronoing and load development) on their own range because they want or expect you to travel 50-100kms to shoot in a DRA match isnt the way to do it. With 2 kids under 7 i find it hard to get to my range twice a month and its a 5min drive. If i get time to go rifle shooting only to look at the roster and see its not happening because there is a shoot on at Rosedale, Yarram or Lang Lang it means i cant go shooting. At my range i can leave home at 12:50, shoot my 2 rounds, stay for a chat and the presentation and be home at 4:30 to keep the kids and wife happy, without a chat i can be home at 3:30. If i had to go to Yarram, Lang Lang or Rosedale i am looking at a 90 to 170 minute round trip without shooting time.

I understand not shooting on our range when there is a pennant shoot on as its a club thing but a prize meeting has nothing to do with the club. I know i will be shot down by most of you but thats how i see it, at my stage in life i just dont have the time.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:56 pm

I understand what your saying Seddo.
It is especially hard seeing as your range can only be used on Saturdays.
No other days are possible under the adjacent landowner agreement.

Maybe the DRA should move all its events to Sundays so as not to impose too much hardship and distruption to any single club?

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I think it needs to be brought up diplomatically first at a club meeting and have a response to the DRA written up. Present this at a DRA meeting and get a solution agreed upon by majority. Yes I think a DRA can vote to stop regular club shoots for a prize meet, however Im sure a club can refuse this motion on the grounds you mentioned- loss of membership. If a DRA wants to dictate to its clubs then it must be willing to help clubs as well. Without clubs, there is no DRA at the end of the day.

If the problem isnt solved I would probably look at also consulting your state RA and ask their opinion to help solve the problem. State RA's dont want to lose members and may be able to help.

If it works out for the worse and members are looking to walk, I would try to get the group of shooters to be willing to travel to another range within the DRA or the nearest other range for the day. Its usually a good social experience and get to shoot somewhere different for a day. You wont find too many clubs knocking back shooter numbers in fact they may want to make it an annual thing and make it into a social event. Get the DRA to assist with a coaster bus for the day maybe...

Can the DRA shoot be carried out on another day on that weekend or the regular fixture be held after or before the DRA shoot? Im sure another weekend can be arranged with extra ranges in a day as well?

Its a hard one especially if you have half your club wanting to do the DRA and half not wanting to do it. Members are valuable but you need members that are willing to stick by the club thick and thin. If there is a prize shoot on and I dont want to travel anywhere else to shoot, I wont shoot. No biggy, next week I will be there and it wont bother me having a week off.

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Under the constitution of the VRA, DRA's simply do not exist. Since the Rifle club regulations were repealed around 1997 or so, DRA's as formulated under the ( repealed ) Regulations are no longer recognized by the VRA.
They are only recognized for the purpose of the DRA teams and Champion of Champions competitions held in October.
Now that clubs are an individual entity with their own constitution ( as required by the VRA constitution ) they can basically do as they like, ( and they do )
Legally speaking, DRA's have no say over how clubs conduct themselves. Why? because they are not a legally constituted body under the VRA constitution. Check it out.

Barry

bartman007

DRA shoots

#6 Postby bartman007 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Not sure exactly where the issue is, is it:

1. DRA team practise days (3) stopping you from shooting?
2. OPM's within the DRA stopping you from shooting?
3. District inter club competitions stopping you from shooting?

If it is 1, the intention of having the practise days at 3 of the district ranges is simply to make it more available for people to attend. On those days, the request is that clubs don't put on Championship shoots as it would most likely preclude DRA Team members from attending the practise sessions. In that situation, clubs still have the ability to run shoots at their range.

If it is 2, then I think the idea of supporting your local OPM is a good idea. While you may not enjoy competing, you can simply use it as an opportunity to shoot 3 ranges in a day and meet new people!

If it is 3, then use it as per 2 above. The benefit here is that you don't usually have to pay an entry.

It would be worth adding up how many days of the year that this actually takes up, it will assist in backing up your argument.

Running these events on a Sunday may be a valid solution. You should put that up for consideration, along with a list of days that your club would be impacted.

The DRA meets for its Delegates meeting on the 22nd June, hopefully you can get enough information together, so that your concerns can be addressed.

AlanF

Re: Who comes first, the Club or the DRA.

#7 Postby AlanF » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Norm wrote:A situation occurs in our area, where the representatives of the local district rifle association have vote on a motion that appears to be binding to its affiliate clubs.
This motion bans any shooting on club ranges on days where the district rifle association is holding a shoot...

I vaguely remember this being discussed Norm. Obviously it was done to try to maintain good attendances at Pennant shoots and local OPMs. I don't actually remember it being any sort of directive to the clubs - if it was, then as Barry says there is no sound basis for it. At Rosedale we have weekly scheduled shoots published on our syllabus. When there are Pennant shoots or OPMs at other Gippsland clubs, we normally have no scheduled shoot, and we encourage members to attend the away events. However I don't remember any situation where Rosedale Range was pronounced closed on a Saturday for this reason. I do remember some disappointment being expressed at club level when shooters go to Rosedale rather than support an away event.

Alan

Seddo

#8 Postby Seddo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Bartman,

The issue was discussed at our AGM a few weeks ago with mixed responses.

It has nothing to do with the number of days its stops us shooting in the year it’s just that it stops those of us who don’t want to or can’t attend a prize meeting from shooting on our own range. When i say shooting i don’t mean shooting targets for a score, what i mean is the ability to use the range for load development, working our zero's at various distances and chrono'ing.

Before i had kids i was the president of my pistol club for 4 years, i use to shoot pistols every Saturday and some Sundays, state titles, nationals and even travelled overseas on an Australian team. Since 2006 that time and effort commitment hasn’t been possible and now i just enjoy pulling the trigger. I'm not saying i won’t travel to shoot comps (pistol or rifle) in the future but for the next few years i can’t see it happening.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Norm

#9 Postby Norm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Bartman,
It is mainly point 2 and 3 that is the issue. I don’t think point 1 is covered under the resolution.

I can see both sides of the issue. I like to attend DRA events and offer them support but also respect the views of the other club members.

I will attending the next DRA meeting and will try and get some clarification on the resolution to take back to the club members.

Norm

Re: Who comes first, the Club or the DRA.

#10 Postby Norm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm

AlanF wrote:I vaguely remember this being discussed Norm. Obviously it was done to try to maintain good attendances at Pennant shoots and local OPMs. I don't actually remember it being any sort of directive to the clubs - if it was, then as Barry says there is no sound basis for it. At Rosedale we have weekly scheduled shoots published on our syllabus. When there are Pennant shoots or OPMs at other Gippsland clubs, we normally have no scheduled shoot, and we encourage members to attend the away events. However I don't remember any situation where Rosedale Range was pronounced closed on a Saturday for this reason. I do remember some disappointment being expressed at club level when shooters go to Rosedale rather than support an away event.

Alan

That's interesting Alan.
Obviously clubs have a different understanding on this, so some clarification is needed.

DannyS

#11 Postby DannyS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Sounds like its up to your club to make a decision as to whether your range is open or not. Not everyone wants or can travel. The DRA can ask you but cant force you.

Cheers
Danny

RMc

#12 Postby RMc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Norm, Seddo I think that both of you should look back as to why this was passed at the Dra level, it was your home club that queried why there was a lack of attendance at your invitational shoot. It was then passed that no club shall schedule a shoot on any day that a DRA reconized shoot was to be held, ie the ones that are set at the delegates meeting, it was also stated that this did not mean that the other ranges would be closed, but no formal shoot should be scheduled. I have simply stated the above to remind everyone what was actually passed and why.

Seddo

#13 Postby Seddo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 pm

RMc,
Thanks for that information, that was not brought up in the discussion at the agm.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “General Forum”