vra gradings and rankings

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DannyS

#31 Postby DannyS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks, John, I appreciate you taking the time to explain the Vic grading system, I am sure I was not the only person (well I hope I wasnt) that was unaware of the Vic System as opposed to the SSRs, especially considering the information on the VRA website is incorrect.

Cheers
Danny

John E

#32 Postby John E » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm

See you on Sunday at Bendigo, Danny.

John

DannyS

#33 Postby DannyS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Yep. Looking forward to it. John

cheers
Danny

John S

F class std grading

#34 Postby John S » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi folks - an interesting interchange on grading.

I believed the grading system was based on nationally agreed rules - I was wrong!

When NRAA take responsibility for grading - are the Vics going to still have a "local" grading system for intrastate shoots and a separate grading for interstate shoots?

Does not make any sense to me!!

Cheers

John S

In the words of the current PM "must zipp!!!"

DannyS

#35 Postby DannyS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi John S, I agree, it does seem strange, as you can tell, I wasnt aware that Vic had their own system and I doubt many others new. The information on the VRA website re how grading is calculated is in line with the SSRs.

Cheers
Danny

Barry Davies

#36 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 pm

With all due respects to John E.
In Victoria we use the percentage grading system as designed for F class and outlined in SSR's --- for F class AND for TR.
The F Class percentage system is being used for TR as a trial but with different cut off values to F Class, and has been used for a couple of years, BUT, is only used for Vic domestic PM's --not the Queens.
For the Queens in Vic and for interstate PM's etc the old system as per SSR's is used --as it is in all other states.
Initially when the VRA decided to use the system for TR they used the same Cut off values as for the uniform grading per SSR's ( against better advice ) and it did not work, as most genuine A graders were now in B Grade . Recently ( following further good advice ) the VRA decided to alter the cut off values to properly reflect TR gradings --and that is how it exists currently.

My understanding is that the NRAA have yet to accept the F Class system for TR.

Barry Davies

#37 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Just reading the VRA take on grading and the calculation -- it appears to me that all of that is to do with the trial system being conducted with TR ( in Vic ONLY )
All FC gradings are calculated per SSR's with NO variations.
If anybody considers their grading or percentages are incorrect, then I would suggest they contact the VRA, but do it with some evidence so they can check your calcs against what they have used, --makes it easy all around.

DannyS

#38 Postby DannyS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Barry, sorry, Im even more confused, with f class standard, are gradings calculated per the SSRs ie the lead up to the queens is counted as a two day agg, the queens a 3 day agg. A two day pm, only the two day agg counts or is as per what John has said, gradings are calculated on each individual day.

If it is as John has said, then if a person shoots the Syme and the Queens, it counts as 5 competitions, Warracknabeal as 2 comps etc.

Danny

Barry Davies

#39 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

FC std is calculated as per SSR's ( Australia wide )
A two day lead up is counted as one aggregate.
A three day Queens is counted as one aggregate
A two day PM such as Warracknabeal, Stawell, Horsham etc is counted as one aggregate.
A two day meeting such as Karramomus ( last weekend ) is counted as two aggregates because Saturday was the Goulburn Valley DRA Prize Meeting and Sunday was the Karramomus club Prize Meeting.
Considering a PM such as Stawell -- if somebody only attended one day then their score for that day could be used to calculate a grading. This might well favour the short ranges or the long ranges, I don't think it really makes a great deal of difference in the long term as most PM are short range affairs.
All of this is per SSR's so applies Australia wide. Where the confusion is coming in is that the VRA are running a trial of the FC system for TR but it only applies in Vic--anybody shooting TR outside Vic or a Vic Queens reverts to SSR's uniform grading--for TR

John E

#40 Postby John E » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm

O.K. I'm even more confused. My understanding is that each dailly agg stands alone (Vic only) for FS and TR, so the Queens and Syme count as 5 counting shoots for Vic grading, TR and FS, same for any 2 day PMs. Best we consult the Vic grader and clear it up. I'll stand to be corrected if I have misinterpreted it. I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow to get it spelt out.

John

John E

#41 Postby John E » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am

VRA Council will issue a communique to explain the grading system being trialled here with NRAA approval, and Alan will be asked to put a link to it on here. I believe that NRAA will consider it's adoption if it proves better than the current grading rules.
For our Vic Queens, all Vic B and C grade entries were checked to see that they were in the correct grade as per SSRs.
I'm not sure how long it will be before the info comes out to clear up the confusion, but the wheels have been set in motion.

John

DannyS

#42 Postby DannyS » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks John.

Cheers
Danny

DannyS

#43 Postby DannyS » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 am

The VRA has updated their website to better explain their grading system. How John E explained it earlier is correct. It is not done as per the SSRs.

Interesting thing is the number of people that were unaware how the gradings were being calculated.

Maybe more communication is needed.

Cheers
Danny

Ps hi Phil.

AlanF

#44 Postby AlanF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 am

This link was provided by the VRA. It is a document explaining the Vic grading system. http://www.vra.asn.au/grading/Grading%20system.pdf

Return to “General Forum”