Revive the Rankings?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bartman007

#151 Postby bartman007 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:06 am

One thing I am surprised that you suggested is to exclude lower grades. I personally will never support that. While things have been improving lately (e.g. ACT Rifle Club Applause) , F-Class has in the past been excluded from many TR only competitions and award categories so we should know how it feels to be excluded. I should add that its not a huge amount of extra work to merge A and B Grade scores.

Many years ago Alan Burkhill used to run a ranking system. It combined Queen's and OPM results, and did reflect the pointy end of the TR sport. He made the following comment relating to not including lower grades:

Only A Grade shooters are taken into consideration for inclusion in the list as it is considered that to consistently produce the scores required to be in contention a shooter must be graded A Grade. If there are shooters who are graded lower than A Grade and who are producing scores which would see them included in the list then the Captain of the Club to which that individual belongs should look at his/her performance in that role.

ATR No.8 pg66

I think it has merit.

AlanF

#152 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:30 pm

bartman007 wrote:
One thing I am surprised that you suggested is to exclude lower grades. I personally will never support that. While things have been improving lately (e.g. ACT Rifle Club Applause) , F-Class has in the past been excluded from many TR only competitions and award categories so we should know how it feels to be excluded. I should add that its not a huge amount of extra work to merge A and B Grade scores.

Many years ago Alan Burkhill used to run a ranking system. It combined Queen's and OPM results, and did reflect the pointy end of the TR sport. He made the following comment relating to not including lower grades:

Only A Grade shooters are taken into consideration for inclusion in the list as it is considered that to consistently produce the scores required to be in contention a shooter must be graded A Grade. If there are shooters who are graded lower than A Grade and who are producing scores which would see them included in the list then the Captain of the Club to which that individual belongs should look at his/her performance in that role.

ATR No.8 pg66

I think it has merit.

Mike,

I don't fully understand the logic of that. Anyway, these F-Class rankings are not intended for grading purposes. The grading average system (based on percentage of winning score) is probably a better (or should I say less bad :wink: ) method for that.

The best way of looking at this system, is that it ignores grades. After all grades are just another type of ranking system, and it doesn't make sense to apply two ranking systems simultaneously.

Alan

John E

#153 Postby John E » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Doesn't seem logical to me that a B or C grade shooter would figure in the higher end of a Ranking system, or if he (she) did, then that shooter's grading scores would need to be scrutinised.

John

AlanF

#154 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 pm

John E wrote:Doesn't seem logical to me that a B or C grade shooter would figure in the higher end of a Ranking system, or if he (she) did, then that shooter's grading scores would need to be scrutinised.

John

John,

I agree, but don't see that as reason to include only A Grade - the principal of including everyone is important.

Alan

John E

#155 Postby John E » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Agree Alan. After I thought about it, a ranking system is not a grading system, however, if B or C grade shooters appear in the upper echelons of the ranking systems, then they need looking at -- "professional" B and C graders have been around as long as I have been shooting, and that's a while.

John

AlanF

#156 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Rankings are now updated with the WARA Queens results. Most notably, Bill Hallam and Terry Sheedy are now much closer to the top.

http://ozfclass.com/rankings/default.html

Brad Y

#157 Postby Brad Y » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Far out, put that top 15 or 20 open shooters against any countrys top 20 any day! Woohoo I made it into the rankings! Bring on a couple more shoots next year!

Return to “General Forum”