Club website options?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Club website options?

#1 Postby DenisA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a website for North Arm Rifle Club.

I'm just interested to know from those that are involved in their own clubs websites:

What web building program have you used?

Who are you using for hosting and how much is it costing?

Cheers,

RJNEILSEN

#2 Postby RJNEILSEN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:09 pm

G'Day Denis,
I look after the Pacific Rifle club website.

http://www.pacificrifleclub.org.au

Most of the content can only be accessed by club members.

I can recommend our hosting company Digital Pacific. I think we pay around $15/mnth for hosting. The support service is great. I have not had to wait longer than a few minutes for a response to a technical question.

https://www.digitalpacific.com.au/

I don't recommend you use the software I use, Dreamweaver unless you are much more clever than me, cos I can't get my head around it.

Digital Pacific does have free web page building applications that I think I would use if I were to start again.

Cheers,
Ryan Neilsen.

DenisA

#3 Postby DenisA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks Ryan,

Can you manage your website yourself, or do you need to get the hosting company to make changes?

RJNEILSEN

#4 Postby RJNEILSEN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I do it myself.

For $15/mth they only store your files on an internet server. They do provide free website building software that is kinda user friendly to build your own basic website. The issue is when you want to start getting clever and have password access for members or link to spreadsheets with weekly shooting results. You really need someone in your club who is clever enough to do this or you need to pay a web developer to do this stuff. It can then get expensive.

I had hoped that when the QRA established their new website that they would offer some sort of package to the clubs to help with the technical aspects of building websites but I am not aware of this being the case.

Cheers,
Ryan.

DenisA

#5 Postby DenisA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for your help Ryan

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:40 am

Hi Denis, I setup our website, www.hamiltonrifleclub.com using webs.com. Was easy to do and to maintain and Im no expert.

Cheers
Danny

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Danny,

The website looks great.

Can you update it yourself? As in log in from an external source and add photos, results, etc.

Whats hosting costing you?

Are there any other costs that aren't apparent?

Thanks for your input,

Denis.

DannyS

#8 Postby DannyS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi Denis, costs vary depending on what services you want, ie if you allow advertising from unknown sources, then it is cheaper. We dont have advertising and therefore pay a bit extra.

I have a password and update the website directly, can add photos etc, can do it from my laptop or tablet.

I apologize for the lack of updates for the last couple of weeks, but have been very restricted due to other commitments.

Mount Barker in SA also use webs.com or used to.

I suggest just googling webs.com and seeing what you can do. As I said, before, Im no expert, just have basic computer skills, and was able to do it.

Cheers
Danny

Norm

#9 Postby Norm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Dennis,
I use MS Expression web 4 to edit the sites.

As for hosting I load up with Filezilla to the server whenever I make any changes, upload photo's or update the calendar etc . The server is owned by a mate so no charge.
I just love mates rates! :D

http://www.austargets.com/moe.htm

DenisA

#10 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks Norm

GrahamW

#11 Postby GrahamW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi Denis,
I've been involved with the internet since before it was called the internet (early to mid '80s) and ran my own hosting business until about 9 years ago.

I don't do it for a living any more but still involved with hosting and running a few sites, including our club site (Bathurst Rifle Club), I do have some server space in a Sydney data centre I use for our club and a few other sites.

There are MANY hundreds of variables and traps for the newcomer when it comes to setting up a site & hosting.

I'd be happy to talk to you by phone and help get you set up either on my server or any other of your choice, I can help you with graphics and web design if you need it or build you a site from the ground up. As I said, there are way too many variables to discuss in a forum so best bet is to PM me your number and the best time to call.

I'll charge nothing for my advise and experience and it'll be mates rates if you choose to use my server space (between $50 & $120 a year depending on what features you require).

I'm not looking for work but always happy to help out a fellow shooter and their club.

Cheers,
Graham 8-)

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:00 am

Good on you Graham, and congratulations on your quality website.

Alan

IanP

#13 Postby IanP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:16 am

Denis, I use WordPress which is open source and free. It has great support and lots of themes to choose from as you can see for yourself at this link.

http://wordpress.org/themes/

Ian

Brad Y

#14 Postby Brad Y » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 am

I run ours currently from my macbook and use iWeb.

www.busseltonrifleclub.com.au

But Im handing the reigns over to another club member who has alot more time and passion for it. His site is still in progress

www.busseltonrc.com

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 pm

G'day Graham, Thats a great offer, very generous. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone else that answered. The websites look great.

I'll "rifle" through all this information and look at options that suit our situation and budget.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback.

Return to “General Forum”