F-Class will never grow

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Toe Cutter

Re: F-Class will never grow

#16 Postby Toe Cutter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:44 pm

Cyrus wrote:I bought my 12yo daughter an Omark model 44 223 for $1000 with a 12-42x56 nightforce benchrest scope on it, sold the scope for $800 and put a Sightron SIII PLR 10-50X60 on it that cost me $2300, total cost of her rifle was $2500
I spent time doing load development with Berger 80.5gr pills.
You don’t need to spend $5K plus to get a F-std rifle that shoots well

That’s awesome shooting- haven’t taken my 223 out very far yet - always get lured by the 6.5
Anyways, this is what the 223 will do at 100 - red dot 1MOA
Last edited by Toe Cutter on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toe Cutter

#17 Postby Toe Cutter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:48 pm

Cyrus wrote:https://www.ozfclass.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16511
Throw a new barrel on it and a better scope, here are a few not yet marked as sold and depending on how much you wish to spend
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16507
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16460
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15398
Add a front plate and you have an F std Rifle ready to go for $3000-$4000

Thinking I should have got my Lithgow in 308 - out on the weekend @ 300 doing some testing - got one flyer - always 1 :roll:
Last edited by Toe Cutter on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoghunter9mm

#18 Postby Hoghunter9mm » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 am

F-CLass isn't growing because the new generations don t have the patence.
they want fast moving all the time like Practical Rifel Series - there isn't anything "practical" about it. Just yahooing around. And when the clubs don't want to entertain that sort of shooting, the kids get cranky and storm off never to return .They call us entitled because we have the range, but they don't want to shoot what we shoot and when we say they cant do what they want they leave. Sign of th times, We are here to shoot if you want to join in but we aren't going to change everything we do at the whims of people who are only going to turn up 1 time before they get bored and leve for their next flash in the pan interest. If F-Class isn't growing because we won't cater to yahoos, then I say good. Safe and structed in the pure pursuit of precision is better than having people running around the range like it's a baseball field pretending they are playing computer games in real life.

Bryan S

Weairy

#19 Postby Weairy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:08 am

Hoghunter9mm wrote:F-CLass isn't growing because the new generations don t have the patence.
they want fast moving all the time like Practical Rifel Series - there isn't anything "practical" about it. Just yahooing around. And when the clubs don't want to entertain that sort of shooting, the kids get cranky and storm off never to return .They call us entitled because we have the range, but they don't want to shoot what we shoot and when we say they cant do what they want they leave. Sign of th times, We are here to shoot if you want to join in but we aren't going to change everything we do at the whims of people who are only going to turn up 1 time before they get bored and leve for their next flash in the pan interest. If F-Class isn't growing because we won't cater to yahoos, then I say good. Safe and structed in the pure pursuit of precision is better than having people running around the range like it's a baseball field pretending they are playing computer games in real life.

Bryan S

How incredibly small-minded and unwelcoming of you.

Do yourself a favour and pick up the NRAA SSRs. Now flick to Chapter 24: Precision Service Rifle. Notice this is in the SSRs? This is an NRAA discipline, just as much as F-Class is, with just as much right to shoot on the range as you have. This gatekeeping attitude of "No, it's our range to do what we want only" of the older generation of shooters is a great example of why not just F-Class is struggling, but the entire NRAA.

Your naivety with respect to how the PSR & PRS competitions are carried out, and this stigma of "yahoo cowboys" is echoed throughout the NRAA and I am absolutely sick of it. I moved to shooting PSR as my primary discipline, after about 7 years in F-Class (across FO/FSTD/FTR AND S/H) because the competition here in VIC is run by a fantastic group of people, with absolute respect to safety, precision, fundamentals of marksmanship and maintaining a fun, supportive and well-run event. It is run like clockwork; a 9am start means a 9am start, not like OPMs which state "9am start" and roll off somewhere around 10:15am. Safety is absolutely key and maintained to a fantastic level at all times.

Why don't these shooters hang around? Because the older generation push them out. They don't want to see change and growth, adaption, cross-pollination and ranges being utilized. They're happy to see a range open once a month, specifically for TR & F-Class, and shut the rest of the time, bugger everyone else.

So pat yourself on the back for contributing to the cancer that is killing your sport and sabotaging it for the future, well done to you.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Hoghunter9mm

#20 Postby Hoghunter9mm » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:35 pm

Weairy wrote:
Hoghunter9mm wrote:F-CLass isn't growing because the new generations don t have the patence.

Bryan S

How incredibly small-minded and unwelcoming of you.

Do yourself a favour and pick up the NRAA SSRs. Now flick to Chapter 24: Precision Service Rifle. Notice this is in the SSRs? This is an NRAA discipline, just as much as F-Class is, with just as much right to shoot on the range as you have. This gatekeeping attitude of "No, it's our range to do what we want only" of the older generation of shooters is a great example of why not just F-Class is struggling, but the entire NRAA.

Your naivety with respect to how the PSR & PRS competitions are carried out, and this stigma of "yahoo cowboys" is echoed throughout the NRAA and I am absolutely sick of it. I moved to shooting PSR as my primary discipline, after about 7 years in F-Class (across FO/FSTD/FTR AND S/H) because the competition here in VIC is run by a fantastic group of people, with absolute respect to safety, precision, fundamentals of marksmanship and maintaining a fun, supportive and well-run event. It is run like clockwork; a 9am start means a 9am start, not like OPMs which state "9am start" and roll off somewhere around 10:15am. Safety is absolutely key and maintained to a fantastic level at all times.

Why don't these shooters hang around? Because the older generation push them out. They don't want to see change and growth, adaption, cross-pollination and ranges being utilized. They're happy to see a range open once a month, specifically for TR & F-Class, and shut the rest of the time, bugger everyone else.

So pat yourself on the back for contributing to the cancer that is killing your sport and sabotaging it for the future, well done to you.

No, you don't get to come to a range where people have been shooting f-class for up to 4 decade and tell them what they are doing is wrong and they need to change.you chose to join in. if yo udon't like it, then leave. which is sonds like you done. Go somewhere else if you want to run around and yahoo. F-Class ranges are for F-classand f_CLass shooters. If you want to join in, come and join in, if you want to shoot something else, go somewhere else.
you wouldn't go and join a cricket club, then start telling the cricket plays cricket is boring and trying to turn the club into a football club would you? It's the same thing. We hav spent decades building our clubs and supporting our ranges and developing our sport.
Who are you to say what we offer is bad or wrong? You sound like the entitled one. F-class is going from strength to strenght. W e have people represent Australian all the times in UK. The sport was here before you came along and it will be here till after you lose interest and go onto your next flashy thing.

PeteFox

#21 Postby PeteFox » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:14 pm

Hoghunter9mm wrote:
No, you don't get to come to a range where people have been shooting f-class for up to 4 decade and tell them what they are doing is wrong and they need to change.you chose to join in. if yo udon't like it, then leave. which is sonds like you done. Go somewhere else if you want to run around and yahoo. F-Class ranges are for F-classand f_CLass shooters. If you want to join in, come and join in, if you want to shoot something else, go somewhere else.
you wouldn't go and join a cricket club, then start telling the cricket plays cricket is boring and trying to turn the club into a football club would you? It's the same thing. We hav spent decades building our clubs and supporting our ranges and developing our sport.
Who are you to say what we offer is bad or wrong? You sound like the entitled one. F-class is going from strength to strenght. W e have people represent Australian all the times in UK. The sport was here before you came along and it will be here till after you lose interest and go onto your next flashy thing.

Well doesn’t that sound like a heap of crap.
I initially though you were taking the piss, but if you actually have that attitude then you deserve a bollicking.
With a moniker like “hoghunter9mm” I wonder who the yahoo is?
I’ve been shooting for 40 years and I don’t remember any F Class around four decades ago. Four decades ago the ranges were full bore ranges, as in military issue 7.62 ammo only, with peep sights, but God forbid the ranges have been apparently stolen by yahoos with scopes and non approved rifles and calibres. F class shooters should piss off.

Attitudes like yours will be the death of rifle shooting. Every time I see a “practical rifle” on the range I think “potential f class shooter”, we need to welcome this person and get him hooked on shooting first, to keep him coming back. Numbers or the lack thereof will ultimately determine whether there is anywhere left to to shoot.

Rifle ranges need numbers to justify their existence and pay for the upkeep.

You are actively driving people away, this, and your attitude is actively working against the future of F Class, so perhaps your presence on the range is the problem and is less desirable than those who want to add to our numbers. - the ones you call yahoos. I would say that your attitude is a shining example of an undesirable yahoo.
Pete

edited for clarity
Last edited by PeteFox on Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cheech

#22 Postby cheech » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:12 pm

Our club accepts everything provided it’s shot in prone position and not exceed range energy limits , calibre to 8mm in high velocity rifle .

Our older shooters were not accepting at the start with newer shooters with muzzle brakes etc , but soon became out numbered , but also found themselves learning a bit from them as well and joined in with sporter guns too .

We remain a very open club having achieved new accredited disciplines attracting shooters from other associations

As long as everyone does it safely to the rules we’re all happy , NRAA will always be the core of disciplines promoted where possible . Excluding those having a go is not the answer .

Good luck building your clubs

Hoghunter9mm

#23 Postby Hoghunter9mm » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:10 pm

PeteFox wrote:
Hoghunter9mm wrote:

Well doesn’t that sound like a heap of crap.
I initially though you were taking the piss, but if you actually have that attitude then you deserve a bollicking.
With a moniker like “hoghunter9mm” I wonder who the yahoo is?
I’ve been shooting for 40 years and I don’t remember any F Class around four decades ago. Four decades ago the ranges were full bore ranges, as in military issue 7.62 ammo only with peep sights, but god forbid they have been apparently stolen by yahoos with scopes and non approved rifles and calibres. F class shooters should piss off.

Attitudes like yours will be the death of rifle shooting. Every time I see a “practical rifle” on the range I think “potential f class shooter”, we need to welcome this person and get him hooked on shooting first to keep him coming back. Numbers or the lack thereof will ultimately determine whether there is anywhere left to to shoot.

Rifle ranges need numbers to justify their existence and pay for the upkeep.

You driving people away and your attitude is actively working against the future of F Class, so perhaps your presence on the range is less desirable than those who want to add to our numbers. - the ones you call yahoos. I would say that your attitude is a shining example of an undesirable yahoo.
Pete

Don't complain when your club are overtaken and you have no where to shoot then. Sirprised to see so many people happy for their sport and their clubs to go away. It's clear that not many people left in here care about true F-Class shooting. The best years of the sport are gone by the looks of this,wasting my time

Blade

#24 Postby Blade » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:42 am

Hoghunter9mm wrote:
PeteFox wrote:
Hoghunter9mm wrote:

Don't complain when your club are overtaken and you have no where to shoot then. Sirprised to see so many people happy for their sport and their clubs to go away. It's clear that not many people left in here care about true F-Class shooting. The best years of the sport are gone by the looks of this,wasting my time

And off you go into the sunset, never to be heard from again....
I identify as a an exceptional long range shooter.... 8)

Toe Cutter

#25 Postby Toe Cutter » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:29 pm

Well that escalated quickly :shock:

So this was a thread about NOT being able to get a rifle… in these uncertain times no one is going to folk out 10K or so not even knowing if or when they’ll get a rifle or even if its any good…

As far as ranges aer concerned, or different classes etc go…

Then shooting needs to accept all types of shooters… there should be enough room for everyone no matter what form it takes if the numbers are there..

Our club shoots Benchrest, 50 and 100 - fly shoots etc…
Small Bore…
Archery :shock:
We have full bore shooting, Hunter/Sporter - SSAA
We also have another club running there with f class etc - NRA

Now we have the numbers to start running PRS and the folks to run it..

I shoot some of that, not all, my efforts are mainly going into Full Bore…

No one should be excluded - there should be room for everyone with shared facilities etc… :D

Weairy

#26 Postby Weairy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:43 am

Toe Cutter wrote:Well that escalated quickly :shock:

So this was a thread about NOT being able to get a rifle… in these uncertain times no one is going to folk out 10K or so not even knowing if or when they’ll get a rifle or even if its any good…

As far as ranges aer concerned, or different classes etc go…

Then shooting needs to accept all types of shooters… there should be enough room for everyone no matter what form it takes if the numbers are there..

Our club shoots Benchrest, 50 and 100 - fly shoots etc…
Small Bore…
Archery :shock:
We have full bore shooting, Hunter/Sporter - SSAA
We also have another club running there with f class etc - NRA

Now we have the numbers to start running PRS and the folks to run it..

I shoot some of that, not all, my efforts are mainly going into Full Bore…

No one should be excluded - there should be room for everyone with shared facilities etc… :D

This is the correct attitude! Shooting sports are frowned upon in general and if we don’t start uniting and working together, it’ll be divide and conquer and we’ll see ranges being closed and clubs folding bit by bit. It’s much easier for the haters to justify shutting down a 10-person fullbore club that takes up a 1000m strip of land with a fallout zone of 2000m for the “greater good” than it is to shut down a 50-person multi-discipline club that caters for a huge spread of people and sports.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Cliff Austen

#27 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:06 am

Josh, your comments are 100% correct.
A bit over 30 years ago we started to open up Nowra Rifle Club to all shooting disciplines.
Longarms - Pistol - Hunting - Collecting.
We currently have 500 financial members. An average of thirty shooting F Class on ET's Saturday afternoons and growing.
Yes!vIt doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you are shooting.
Cheers
Cliff Austen OAM

Supercentre

#28 Postby Supercentre » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:47 am

Cliff Austen wrote:Josh, your comments are 100% correct.
A bit over 30 years ago we started to open up Nowra Rifle Club to all shooting disciplines.
Longarms - Pistol - Hunting - Collecting.
We currently have 500 financial members. An average of thirty shooting F Class on ET's Saturday afternoons and growing.
Yes!vIt doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you are shooting.
Cheers
Cliff Austen OAM

I believe it all starts with a good Captian and Committee, with out this your Rifle Club will struggle to grow. I've seen it with our local club. A change in Captian / Committee and the club was almost destroyed.

Fire Dog

#29 Postby Fire Dog » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:29 am

cheech wrote:Our club accepts everything provided it’s shot in prone position and not exceed range energy limits , calibre to 8mm in high velocity rifle .

Our older shooters were not accepting at the start with newer shooters with muzzle brakes etc , but soon became out numbered , but also found themselves learning a bit from them as well and joined in with sporter guns too .

We remain a very open club having achieved new accredited disciplines attracting shooters from other associations

As long as everyone does it safely to the rules we’re all happy , NRAA will always be the core of disciplines promoted where possible . Excluding those having a go is not the answer .

Good luck building your clubs

Our club won’t allow muzzle breaks due to the horrendous amount of noise and frankly does a 6.5 C really need a muzzle break??
Anyway, the “We have always done this way “ does prevail and the club has lost a few members to not allowing a white circle in the centre of the X ring {Older members are having difficulty seeing scope reticle dots against black background and the Target Rifle crowd says that that’s all they get to see so you should not have an “extra” advantage…and one to “No Muzzle Breaks”
It seems that petty politics arises in many places and one reason I resisted for years becoming a committee member.

PeteFox

#30 Postby PeteFox » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 am

Fire Dog wrote: and the club has lost a few members to not allowing a white circle in the centre of the X ring {Older members are having difficulty seeing scope reticle dots against black background and the Target Rifle crowd says that that’s all they get to see so you should not have an “extra” advantage…and one to “No Muzzle Breaks”
It seems that petty politics arises in many places and one reason I resisted for years becoming a committee member.[/font]

difficult to see where the advantage is as TR doesn't compete against F class. Silly stuff.
Pete

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”