FCWC BISLEY RESULTS

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

FCWC BISLEY RESULTS

#1 Postby AlanF » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

It looks like the results for what they call the "Imperial Meeting" are being posted in Acrobat form at :
http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/results/imperial.asp?year=2009&site=NRA&filter=F (don't ask me where all the individual matches fit in :roll: - the expression "a dog's breakfast" springs to mind).

For those who haven't already seen it, there is a daily "Twitter" diary from one of the US F-Class Team at :
http://twitter.com/USFClass/

If anyone can find any other news sites, let us know please.

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Mc

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Alan, I am hoping to hear from Marty for an update over there.

Will pass on info if he gets it to me.

Cameron

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:...I am hoping to hear from Marty for an update over there.

Will pass on info if he gets it to me...

Thanks Cameron - can't see Marty or John Tracey in the results yet. Maybe they are only shooting the FCWC and not the Imperial beforehand.

Alan

Cameron Mc

#4 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:55 pm

As far as I know Marty is just shooting the FCWC individual. Not sure about John.

Cameron

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 am

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 pm

now they are scoring 5.1.
very confusing.
bruce.

AlanF

Marty Blog

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 pm

http://www.ozfclass.com/articles/martyatbisley/martybisley2009_1.htm

You may be prompted to download a small Active-X component to see it properly.

Alan

Cameron Mc

#8 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Part of a message Marty sent back:

Day one of the Competition:
The day started as advertised, grey skies and drizzle. Without wet weather gear and equipment for keeping your plotting sheets and score cards dry you would’ve been in all sorts of trouble. Dry as a bone came in very handy.

800 yards: The targets are all ½ MOA V-bull and 1 MOA 5 ring which corresponds to the Australian F Class size targets for the 10 and 9 ring. All matches are 15 shot matches with 2 sighters. The last 1000yard match on the last day is a 20 shot match.
At 800 there was constant drizzle. There was 2¾ to 3 minutes of changeable wind on. I ended up with a 73.7 which under the circumstances I was quite pleased with. Chatting to some members of the US team I found out there was one who shot a 75.15 and one who shot a 75.12 amongst others. It’s hardly surprising given that after further chatting to one team member I was advised of the following:
• The US sent a 20 member team
• From that total 8 members would be selected for the teams comp at the end depending on performances through the meet
• 4 wind coaches were sent
• There were 3 compulsory team shoots held prior to traveling to the UK. If you couldn’t commit (wherever in the US they were to be held) you were off the team
• Most if not all members on the team had 2-3 practice sessions each week in the build up to the World Champs (I guess no one works??)
• Most have had deep backgrounds in 1000 yard benchrest
• All rifles were 6.5 x 284. To begin with, each competitor started with 5 barrels (Kriegers). Then of those, the best two were selected and were brought to the World Champs. They would not be used in competition after 600 rounds had been shot through them as they weren’t interested in taking any chances.
• Berger loaded all the ammo for each team member and to their individual specifications (i.e. tuned to the rifle)
• All ammo and equipment was shipped to the UK in a shipping container in advance by Berger for the team.

In terms of sponsorship, assistance and complete freedom to train, to say that the rest of us aren’t in the same boat is an understatement. I don’t think we’re even on the same ocean! I guess given the size of the US market, the sponsorship dollars are all there…
That said, to a man, all the members of the US team are all very friendly and humble and very nice to chat to.

900 yards: Still grey but no rain at this range. Shot a 71.5 and reasonably happy.

1000 yards: Many getting caught (and many doing OK, depending on the time you lie down). Shot a 64.4. Not really happy with it but did have some complicating circumstances…. The ammo reloaded with Hodgdon 4350 came up for the last two shots of the string. I had to start using it sooner or later and with only 88 cases and 17 shot matches, it’s going to have to come into a string somewhere, you just can’t get around it. In any case the changeover from one powder to the other resulted in the shot having perfect windage but going 1 MOA high for a 4. After the correction, the next and last shot of the string snuck out just below the 5 and also scored a 4. Thus two points were lost due to the powder change…

Whilst from here on I’ll be using the same powder (4350) that fact there was such a marked change from the original ADI powder and the Hodgdon (according to ADI, 2209 is repackaged as 4350 - must be a fair difference in lot numbers to get such a difference between the two of them then, in fact noticed a lot of dust on the cap when it was supplied to me. Most use Vitatouri here so the 4350 doesn’t really move…) doesn’t bode well, as with this much of a change I’m wondering whether the Hodgdon will still leave me on the node and thus minimize vertical…Who knows, we shall see tomorrow.

Not easy!!!!

Cameron Mc

#9 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Sorry Alan, you beat me to it.

Cameron

jcinsa

#10 Postby jcinsa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:39 am

Very interesting,

I know he's busy shooting but I hope he can send more articles

AlanF

Marty at Bisley Day 2

#11 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:07 am

Here is Marty's second report.

http://www.ozfclass.com/articles/martyatbisley/martybisley2009_2.htm

Unfortunatley this will probably be his last report as he was only there for the 2 day individual event. He did very well to get a 2nd out of 145 competitors at the second 900.

Congratulations and thanks for the very good reports Marty! =D>

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 am

Here are the final results of the FCWC Individual Event.

http://www.ozfclass.com/articles/martyatbisley/FCWCIndividual.pdf

This has been absolutely DOMINATED by the GB shooters. From all accounts it has been a combination of local knowledge plus the use of heavier 7mm and .30 cal rifles that has made the difference. Bisley seems to be a place like no other, both in terms of the prevailing weather, and the unusual way many things are done. I would imagine the Americans will regret not having come last year to learn about these things. And maybe they would have brought heavier calibres had they known what the weather can be like at Bisley.

In a way I am relieved to have opted out of going to Bisley, because I don't think it would have been a happy hunting ground for me either :? .

Some have said they expect the next one to be in Canada? We should find out for sure in the next few days. Surely anywhere will be better for visitors than Bisley, in terms of home ground advantage.

Alan

johnk

#13 Postby johnk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 am

I recall that the South Africans won the last championship when they switched from their 6.5s to 7s. Perhaps more should have taken more notice then. More than a few of the British F class shooters also shoot match rifle so they have that experience to draw on.

Did I read somewhere (maybe another site I lurk on) that they're shooting the individual in pairs, not single strings. That would tend to put the unpracticed off their stroke if they machine gun.

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:48 am

johnk wrote:...Did I read somewhere (maybe another site I lurk on) that they're shooting the individual in pairs, not single strings. That would tend to put the unpracticed off their stroke if they machine gun...

Yes, oddly the individual championship is shot Bisley style (up to 3 per target) while the Team event is not. This is a FCWC thing - not unique to Bisley.

Alan

RDavies

#15 Postby RDavies » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 pm

On ya Marty, It would have been a good feeling getting the 2nd place gong at 900, especialy with some of the bad luck with powder the previous day, and especialy since the number of shooters was slightly more F open shooters than we get for a local prize shoot in my area.
A pat on the back for John Tacey and Greg Phelan for making the effort and getting themselves over there as well.

Return to “Events”