Castlemaine PM

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

agro

Castlemaine PM

#1 Postby agro » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:50 am

I was hoping something would have been posted about the event.
How did it all go yesterday??????

bartman007

Attendance

#2 Postby bartman007 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Hello Agro,

Well as prize meetings go, they had 50 attend. A good mix for FB and the FStd classes.

As for FOpen, I was rather disappointed. Only 2 of us competed! There was some talk of a long range shoot occuring in Stawell???

The shoot did go ahead, and with the frontal fishtail happening, it made for an interesting shoot on the 10 ring target. Also heavy mirage made sighting a pleasure.......still haven't worked it out yet!

All credit to Chris and the gang, for accomodating us. They put on the special 10 ring target for us. I did indicate that the Super V option that was run at Lang Lang 2 weeks ago made for an easy setup for the organisers. It also worked well for ALL F-Class shooters, as we could guage how well we were going compared to each other!

I know there are some discussions going on about targets, but from my limited experience shooting both types, I think the Super V has merit. It is a simple option for organisers to stick on another inner center, and it gives shooters a way to compare how we are going against each discipline.

Bartman007

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:52 pm

and if all fclassers scored out of 50.10, they could also compare scores with fullbore, shootin teams against fullbore, and shoot in teams with fullbore.
bruce.

bartman007

#4 Postby bartman007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 am

Bruce, it's good to see you have a sense of humour.

Alas, us poor F Classer's would get rather sick of shooting 50.10 all the time :lol:

But if it helps you to compare scores with Full Bore, just put us down for a 50.10 each time :D

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:54 pm

bart, you won't shoot 50.10 too often using the super v as v & the normal v bull as 5.
it has been proven in practice that the degree of difficulty is similar.
bruce.

John E

#6 Postby John E » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Bruce --- FSTD is going great guns, we don't have to change anything --- just worry about how FO is going to fit in and survive.
60.10 is the way to go,in my opinion.

John

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 pm

john,
i agree that std is going well.
i'm only talking about what is best for the survival and hopefully growth of open.
bruce.

John E

#8 Postby John E » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:35 pm

So am I , Bruce, and I think that 60.10 will do the trick.
In the past, it has been said that FO is a step up from FS ( by FO people ), but that's not the case --- everything is relative -- FO shoot at a target that tests the calibres that they use, as does FS. We have seen some top FO people switch to FS, with limited success, because FS competes on a very level playing field, in my opinion, and I think that is the key to its popularity.
In addition to that, we can get 3000 - 5000 rounds out of a barrel, whereas FO seem to get between 800 - 1000 rounds for peak accuracy, and that doesn't appeal to too many people.
I'm not knocking FO -- I want to see it prosper, but not at the expense of FS.
All of the FS people that I know, who have tried the super V as 60.10, like it. It was used at Wodonga PM for FS and FO, and it worked O K. I think FO should trial it for a period of time, say 12 months, and then make a decision on it. The C'ship target has done nothing for the betterment of FO, and I think that 50.10 for FS would suffer the same fate.

John

Chopper

#9 Postby Chopper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 am

G,day John, i agree all is going well but ime still dont know were that 6 come from and why ? , it segregates shooters and thats not good , Chop.

John E

#10 Postby John E » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 am

G'day Chop.
The 6 was already in the F Class rules before we came to formulate the current FS rules, if my memory serves me correctly.
I don't see how it segregates any group, as FB is now familiar with it, whereas if we changed the values of the present scoring rings, we would simply create confusion.
The 50.10 trial at Bendigo PM last year was an illustration of that, and it was also an illustration that it won't work for FS.
On the other hand, the 60.10 trial at Wodonga showed that FS, FO, and FB can use the same target quite comfortably, and that FS calibres are a bit more competitive with FO on that target, so I see that as being more inclusive, rather than segregational.
With the pending introduction of the ICFRA target, this conversation may be irrelevant anyway.

John

bartman007

Fstd - Fopen

#11 Postby bartman007 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Gents,

I didn't mean to create an argument with my comment about 50.10 being easy. I thought Bruce was talking about only using the Full Bore target (without Super V), my mistake :oops:

Having shot Lang Lang and scoring out of 60.10, I felt that was an excellent solution. Of course that is similar to Bruce's 50.10 as Center = 5, and not the 6 that we saw at Lang Lang.

From a markers/scorers perspective however, I do see merit in keeping with 5 for a bull eye, 6 for a Centre, and .1 for a Super V. I think there will be less confusion for all.

AlanF

Re: Fstd - Fopen

#12 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 am

bartman007 wrote:...From a markers/scorers perspective however, I do see merit in keeping with 5 for a bull eye, 6 for a Centre, and .1 for a Super V. I think there will be less confusion for all.

Hear hear =D> .

I think the desire to keep the 50.10 is well meaning from the nostalgic point of view, but more important to keep it simple for markers and scorers.

John E wrote:We have seen some top FO people switch to FS, with limited success

John,
I think the range of shooter skills will roughly align with numbers of shooters in each category - F-Std has several times more shooters than Open so I'd expect the top F-Std shooters to be very good wind readers. In a similar way, TR has several times the number of F-Std shooters, and looks what's been happening as a few top TR shooters take up F-Std.

See you on Saturday to have alook at Rod's electronic target?

Alan

John E

#13 Postby John E » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey Mick,
there's no arguments between Chop and me, but you are going to cause trouble if you think you can come in here and talk sense straight off :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alan, the only problem we might have next Saturday will be if it is declared a Total Fire Ban Day, in which case we don't usually shoot. Let's keep in touch through the week, and if you can let me know how many starters you're bringing with you, I'll try and have enough cold drinks on hand.

John

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:14 pm

John E wrote:...the only problem we might have next Saturday will be if it is declared a Total Fire Ban Day, in which case we don't usually shoot...

Ok John I'll contact you Thursday when there's more certainty with the forecast.

Alan

ned kelly

#15 Postby ned kelly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:34 pm

G'day all,
sorry I couldn't make it; work gets in the way 5 weekends out of every 8. :(

I'd be expecting a total fire ban this coming sat, if the scuttlebut in the CFA are any indication. It's drying out faster than was anticipated. Espcially after the DSE burns have jumped control lines 3 times this week.

Good luck! :wink:

Cheerio Geoff W

Return to “Events”