First time 1000y F Standard at MBRC.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

10FPAT

First time 1000y F Standard at MBRC.

#1 Postby 10FPAT » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:04 pm

After many years of competition pistol shooting I finally decided to dedicate a bit more time to shooting some Long range rifle matches. I have tried F Class a couple of times over the past few years and decided that I had better join a club, with some help from a mate who used to shoot handgun with me & now shoots F class full time (PJ) I was introduced to the friendly & helpful folks at the Murray Bridge rifle club & A month or so back along with a few mates from the Pistol club we shot our first match at 300 yards & had a great time & embarked on a Steep learning curve!

Last Saturday the rifle club had a 1000 yard match programmed & we asked if would be Ok if we came along to have a look & maybe a shot, no problem was the answer!

Due to the early heat wave we had here in SA last week the match was called off, I got an email from PJ (pestbird) during the week to say the 1000 yard match had been rescheduled for today & could we still make it. I could but the others already had other commitments so I was the only newbie on the mound.

After assisting to put the tgts in the frames we moved back to the 1000y mound & had a look at the tgts through my 10x binos & they still looked a long way away!

The first few details of more experienced members went though & some shot what seemed to me great scores, then it came time for me to shoot & I set my gear up on the mound, slid in behind my Heavy barrel Savage 10FP & took a look at the tgts through my Leupold set on the max 20x, after adjusting the side focus they were quite clear & distinct & I could see the scoring rings. Fortunately the wind was light & almost nonexistent, being my first time at this distance I was assigned a coach for the first round & his first question was “so are you set for elevation at 1000” Yes I say have read the ballistic table print out & checked zero at 100m, he says Ok just aim in the centre & we will see what happens!

I get the Ok from the scorer, all good to go drop the first rnd onto the top of the magazine & slide the bolt closed, breath in, out, hold nice & steady dead centre, release the accu trigger lock, squeeze gently, Boom a 155 grain HBC is on its way…..Eject the case feeling pretty pleased with myself as the tgt disappears I reload & wait for the tgt to come up & when it does the dreaded wave across the face of the tgt with the marker appears! Bugger I missed, slightly embarrassed I discuss it with my coach & we decide it must be high so I adjust down a couple of MOA & try again This time with better result a high 4 & I had made my first hit on a 1000 yard target! Dial down another MOA or so & the elevation is where we want it from there the wind & mirage reading learning started, I finished the day with a 46/50 for 96 total and although it was no world record I was pleased with my effort & it was something for me to try & improve on.

Thanks again to the members of the MBRC who assisted & made me feel welcome.

Rgds Bill

jcinsa

#2 Postby jcinsa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:14 am

Glad you enjoyed yourself Bill,
look forward to seeing you next time.
John

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:06 am

bill,
there's something about it isn't there!
bruce.

10FPAT

#4 Postby 10FPAT » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks John!

Yes Bruce there certainly is!

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 pm

bill,
you've got the disease.
hope to meet you at the bridge soon.
bruce.

Paul Janzso

#6 Postby Paul Janzso » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:26 am

Hi Bill

I could tell by that big smile on your face on Saturday you were enjoying yourself. That was good shooting with your Savage 308.
I'm looking forward to next Saturday, we will be shooting 500 meters.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Simon C

#7 Postby Simon C » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 am

See u there PJ.

I actually have a leave pass and will bring up the Dasher. Winter has been a nightmare for our little bloke which culminated in some surgery.

Needless to say, I have more flexibility now
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

jcinsa

#8 Postby jcinsa » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:30 pm

It would great to see you Simon,

PJ needs someone to keep him honest

Paul Janzso

#9 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:30 am

That will be great Simon.

jcinsa, arn't you feeling stale on F Class Standard? it's about time you came over to open.

Cheers
Paul

PS Simon, do you need a case length gage ? I have a spare one and some 6mm br cases I will bring along Saturday
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

BATattack

#10 Postby BATattack » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 pm

congratulation! there isnt much beter than feeling the nudge of recoil against your shoulder that target falling into the pits and coming up with a orange patch in the center :lol:

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:14 pm

OH OH, another one has got the bug. Just gotta neck that case down to about 6.5mm, lighten the trigger off to 6 OZ, get the gun up to 9kg or so, and start trying to realy hammer the 6 ring (or 6.1 ring)

10FPAT

#12 Postby 10FPAT » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 pm

[quote="RDavies"]OH OH, another one has got the bug. Just gotta neck that case down to about 6.5mm, lighten the trigger off to 6 OZ, get the gun up to 9kg or so, and start trying to realy hammer the 6 ring (or 6.1 ring)[/quote]

:D Yes it is fun, No interest in going to the "Dark" side though, quite content with my .308 have been through the equipment race in handgun comp & even there I'm quite happy getting back to basics!

Chopper

#13 Postby Chopper » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:41 pm

welcome, learn more about conditions and you will win ,calibres are fun and you can win with many Chop.

Return to “Events”