Long range nationals and SA state championship.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

Long range nationals and SA state championship.

#1 Postby BATattack » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:54 am

Well the queens had been run and won and today marks to start of the long range events.

The SA championships today, long range nationals Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and the teams event Saturday arvo and Sunday.

Its not my normal type of event but I wasn't avaliable for the queens so I'm going out to burn some powder at the nationals wed- sat.

4 days of 15 and 20 shot matches about 240 rounds total at 900, 1000, 1100 meters is going to be a pretty tough event if we have weather anything like the last few days.

bartman007

Re: Long range nationals and SA state championship.

#2 Postby bartman007 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:22 am

900, 1000, 1100 meters is going to be a pretty tough event if we have weather anything like the last few days.

Adam I think the forecast for the rest of the week is quite bearable 15 -> 25 Km/Hr has certainly taken the edge off it! And you'll need it over the long's.

But that should be a walk in the park for the SAUM 8)

Enjoy burning all that powder :)
###

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

If that for cast holds true it should be challenging but reasonable so fingers crossed!

I recon if I was intending to do it a bit more regular I would chamber a big 30cal ( for giggles if nothing else :lol: )but the SAUM's will have to do me

BATattack

#4 Postby BATattack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:13 pm

This is a direct copy and past from Tim manning which I think is a pretty accurate report of the goings on for yesterday!

There were some decent patches early and another before lunch seeing a few post some good scores.

Day 1 of the Nationals exposed more pain and blood loss with fickle winds and mirage playing havoc to those brave souls silly enough to play this game.

Once again there was plenty of sight adjustment and/or aiming off going on with sudden changes in wind strength and direction along with constantly changing mirage that ran opposite to the flags at times. 
Scope magnification was cranked down to enable the shooters an opportunity to try and establish some sort of central aiming mark at 1000 & 1100m with a burry bubbling black dot being the best you could hope for.

A total of 9 F-Open shooters are taking part. Day 1 Agg. results are:

B. Siegloff 249.9

N. Simms 248.5

T. Manning 247.4

G. Warrian 243.8

C. Martens 242.4

A.Pohl 240. 6

L. Rozsnyai 239.3

D. Shallis 234.4

L.Shallis 233.6

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 pm

A bit more of Tims handiwork below. Some of the movers from yesterday shot later this morning and must have quite woken up because there was a fair bit of carnage and position swapping!!

Tim is deservedly sitting at the top after shooting well through some tough stuff and making the most of some good patches as well as having to pull his rifle apart mid string to flush some dirt from the trigger and re adjust sear engagement.

Seeing bubble o bill drop 16 in one range makes it still open to anyone that can put in the effort when needed.

Tomorrow's forecast is for 12kph NNE then doing a 180 switch to 35kph SSW so things could get interesting.

Nationals Day 2: 

As predicted saw more punishment dealt out. The day started at 1100m with a light variable rear fishtailing wind and gentle mirage running from the left. Those who were fortunate enough to get drawn early on the range took advantage and posted reasonable scores in the low 80’s. This wasn’t to last as the day soon warmed up along with the wind picking up and blowing left and right down the range along with less than optimum sighting for those drawn down the order causing the blood to flow as the day progressed. 

1000m saw more of the same with the wind variable in strength and direction over the right shoulder. Some managed to walk away relatively unscathed while others took a beating.

900m was shot after lunch with the wind strengthening and squaring up to a good honest 6-7 minutes for the 7mm’s. This was possibly the most honest range of the day with several scores in the mid to low 80’s.

There were several big movers on the day with some heading north while others went south.

The two big movers up the table where Adam Pohl and Les Rozsnyai putting in some consistently good scores, with Adam taking out the Day 2 Agg.

Wind for tomorrow look similar to today with north west/easterly strengthening and shifting south westerly as a cool change moves in for the weekend.

Running Agg scores:

T. Mannning 490.7

A.Pohl  487.12

N. Simms 485.13

G. Warrian 485.12

L. Rozsnyai  483.8

B. Siegloff 482.16

C. Martens 481.12

D. Shallis 471.8

L. Shallis 458.10

With only 10 points difference  between the top 7 it is still anyone’s for the taking. 

Post again tomorrow.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 am

Looks like a great comp Adam. Well done on the day 2 agg. I notice that Tim has the most points and the least centres, usually a sign of someone performing better than than their rifle. Will the full scores be published at any stage? And if someone gets time, would be nice to see a calibre list?

ecomeat

#7 Postby ecomeat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Well done indeed, Adam ! You had a great Day 2, and like everyone else , I look forward to seeing the final results .
Look out for that old bugger from down South in NSW......take his hat off him and I think he'd be buggered.
Keen to hear some calibres, too. PLEEEEASE tell me that Les Rosnyai has got a 7mm or bigger up and running ? If he is scoring that well with his 243AI that I have seen him shoot at the Queens, I am going to go and belt myself up.
Good luck to all shooters for the final legs.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

macguru

#8 Postby macguru » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:52 pm

a hardware list would be nice .... someone ??
id quod est

BATattack

#9 Postby BATattack » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm only using my phone so I'll let Tim do the big speel and I'll plagiarize his handiwork again :-)

Greg had another good day today getting down early in some overcast conditions and posting an 89. Some of the other guys also did well but crashed and burned later in the day. Tim is still going strong posting an 88 at the first range even while shooting last. I got an 86 to keep myself in the hunt.

Anyone feel free to correct me but I think Greg is using a 284 and I think everyone else is using a 7SAUM. I did see a battleship gun that looked to have a big hole down the tube so maybe les is running a 300wsm or my eyes are deceiving me?! I'll round him up tomorrow.

BATattack

#10 Postby BATattack » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Day 3.

Overall today was the kindest day weather wise Lower Light has provided thus far with several scores shot in the high 80’s at 900 & 1000m. There were the occasional patches where things were a bit tough for those unfortunate enough to be drawn to shoot when the weather was sour. It was nice to shoot on targets at 1100m where you could actually distinguish a line, albeit at around 16X.

Paul Dehan and Richard Noordewier decided to take part in the merriment and come out for a hit today with Paul taking out the 1100m range with a good knock of 84.?

Running Agg Totals.

T. Manning 746.18

A.Pohl 742.20

G. Warrian 740.23

L. Rozsnyai 733.16

N. Simms 732.24

C. Martens 732.21

B. Siegloff 720.18

L. Shallis 691.12

D. Shallis 471.8

P. Deehan 250.7

R. Noordewier 236.3

Last day tomorrow with a 20 shot match at 1100m to decide it.

Good luck to all. Results posted tomorrow.

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated Adam. Good luck for tomorrow.

BATattack

#12 Postby BATattack » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Sorry for not posting full scores but I haven't seen any electronic copies posted anywhere and the daily agg has only been done by Tim recording results.

So far it's been a great comp with only 6 shooters per target and reasonable weather for lower light we've been getting through in good time and everyone being within reach if someone blinks or they don't manage a bad patch.

Tim has been putting in a huge amount of effort over the last year to get his gear and himself in that position so it'll be a deserved win if he can manage the mental gremlins and bring it home tomorrow.

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:21 am

Conditions sound interesting, maybe the sort of place where Ians 300WSM with 230s would shine. Do you have an equipment list being used? Great write up, keep it coming.

BATattack

#14 Postby BATattack » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:20 am

Well 20 shots at 1200 can make all the difference! Traveling out to the range I was almost expecting some rain. It was very dark and overcast and the wind was already up and giving a nice frontal fishtail 5-10mph with some nice angle changes.

Tim and I shot basically at exactly the same time , about 4th down I set up just before him but he got off the mound first.

It was coming fairly well down range a touch from the left so I started with 1.5moa left and burnt 3 sighters testing the mirage. Through the 20 shots the angle really worked it's way around to close to 70 degrees from the left where I was holding about 6" in from the edge of the target . . . . .more than ive ever held but i thought it was going to come back and it did. All the way back to a right 6 ring hold for one shot.

I got up with a 108/120 happy with the range and hoping it would be enough and knowing that he had done well in similar conditions earlier in the week. Tim posted a 97/120 but enjoyed the battle.

Chris martins struck a nice patch and opened up with 6XX with his 3 sighters before railing a 114 in short order!! With Greg warrian still to shoot and only 2 points behind me it was still anyone's!

Greg posted a 100/120 and left some calculations to do!

Again below is results poached from timmy.

Here are the Individuals Grand Agg scores from the Nationals. Only the top eight shot all matches with the rest only doing a range, day or two.

Long Range Nationals Grand Aggregate.

F-Open:

A.Pohl 850.24

C. Martens 846.23

T. Manning 843.18

G. Warrian 840.23

L. Rozsnyai 839.23

N. Simms 835.24

B. Siegloff 821.18

L. Shallis 792.14

D. Shallis 573.10

P. Deehan 352.9

R. Noordewier 324.4

S. Braund 104.1

R. Braund 101.0

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:28 am

Top effort Adam. Very well done =D> =D> =D> .

Return to “Events”