Savage Palma rifle questions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chris S

Savage Palma rifle questions

#1 Postby Chris S » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 am

G'day All,

I'd assume there are a few Savage Palma rifles floating
around the ranges in Oz so this is aimed at their users.
How, honestly, do they shoot?
Do they have a forearm rail fitted?
Do you think they are worth the $2500 odd they
are asking for them?

thanks,
Chris
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

Woody_rod

#2 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:38 pm

The savage rifle is good for the price, based on the pricing of rifles in Australia.

The AU$2500 is questionable, as they are a LOT cheaper in the US. There are few excuses other than price gouging for the price difference.

One of the best FTR shooters in the USA uses a factory std savage as supplied. He performs extremely well with this rifle at international level.

I have seen no problems with them so far. Rebarreling is a piece of cake.

whippy

#3 Postby whippy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 pm

i have had one for a few months so i am still testing and trialling. yes, it does come with rail. i have confidence in it. about the price, well maybe a bit high but then we are an expensive sport. i don't regret buying it.
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Woody_rod

#4 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

whippy wrote:i have had one for a few months so i am still testing and trialling. yes, it does come with rail. i have confidence in it. about the price, well maybe a bit high but then we are an expensive sport. i don't regret buying it.

Expensive compared to what? Chess maybe...

whippy

#5 Postby whippy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:47 pm

WOODY-ROD. i had marbles more in mind. but then each to their own opinion, eh?
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

macguru

#6 Postby macguru » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Well I have had a savage palma for about 2.5 years... so i think i can answer your questions...... The stock is excellent and the action is pillar bedded and the trigger i like very much....

BUT the barrel - a fairly important part you will agree is TOO LIGHT FOR F CLASS - i dont care what others may claim, i managed to get mine shooting well when i fitted a davies barrel tuner, and it shoots MUCH better now i have a new 28" match grade shilen barrel. I have seen others try to tune theirs with less success.

But, even though i paid $3000 for mine before our dollar improved, and with all the hassles i still like it very much (now that its a shooter). It would be alot cheaper to get an FT/R model with the heavier barrel (under $2000) and if the barrel is good, no probs, if not swap it out for a custom job. You dont really need the fancy savage palma stock for f class anyways but i confess that i like the look of it very much. However if you are on a budget go for the ftr and then change the barrel if necessary. I think any barrel is a bit of a gamble its just the odds that change with the custom jobs....

andrew

Return to “Equipment & Technical”