22-250 loads

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

22-250 loads

#1 Postby flatlina » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Does anyone have a pet load for 80 to 90 grain pills in a Savage with a 26" 1-9 twist barrel.

Regards
john

flatlina

#2 Postby flatlina » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:23 pm

No advice for this?

aaronraad

#3 Postby aaronraad » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi John

The Savage 22-250 with a 1:9" twist isn't particularly common set-up for F-Class all be it factory standard. Some of the F-Class shooters have 22-250/22-250(AI) but these are not common either, as most will be on aftermarket 1:8" twist barrels as they are more commonly available. It would seem that most of these shooters are not freuqent members of this forum?

I'd suggest starting at the Accurate Shooter.com page on the 22-250:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

You can start to make rough comparisons between powder buring rates on the chart from the ADI website:

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/burning_rates.asp

Just looking at the information briefly it seems you really need to get the velocity right up there for the 80-90gr projectiles to stabalise in the 1:9" twist barrel.

Good Luck

Regards
Aaron
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

flatlina

#4 Postby flatlina » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks Aaron, I checked that site out. I'm only playing around with this and when the barrel is shot out I'll decide what to do then. I've already shot a few thousand rounds out of it when it was a .223.
My next question is to do with seating into/off the lands. Not too sure where to start with this. I have Norma brass that has been fired in this chamber. The projectiles I have to try are; 80 JLK, 80 Berger VLD, 90 Berger VLD and 77 NCC. I have Federal 210M Benchrest primers. I realise the 90 VLD's are stretching it.

Regards
john

OuttaAmmo

#5 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 am

I have no idea what I'm talking about but maybe this bloke can help.
I'll have to give this a try myself with the jlk in 223

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-th ... our-rifle/

OuttaAmmo

#6 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

flatlina wrote:My next question is to do with seating into/off the lands. Not too sure where to start with this. I have Norma brass that has been fired in this chamber. The projectiles I have to try are; 80 JLK, 80 Berger VLD, 90 Berger VLD and 77 NCC. I have Federal 210M Benchrest primers. I realise the 90 VLD's are stretching it.

Regards
john

To jam, or not to jam, that is the question.

Based on what I've read on tangent & secant projectiles, and the feedback I've received on my G7L's, there are a number of parameters that go into seating depth preference. Bullet run-out seems to be the most influental when determing seating depth for VLD secant ogive type projectiles, of which I believe nearly all the ones you've listed are. If there are any alignment/run-out issues these are more likely to ironed out with the projectile jammed into the lands.

Determining how much a projectile is actually jammed into the lands is also not simple, given parameters such a neck tension and headspace assist or prevent the process. Checking overal length after chambering will give some indication.

Reloaders typically experience an increase in pressure when jammed into the lands, as opposed to even a short jump for reloads using identical powder charge etc. Please be aware when you experiment.

You're going to chew through a bit barrel life doing load development for 4 different projectiles let alone seating depth. I would suggest putting your effort into a single projectile and seeing if you can't get that to work. If you can't get the one projectile to work then change to another. Hopefully the projectile you chose will have the least frequency of 'flyers' within a batch.

Good luck.

Regards
Aaron
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”