6.5 x 47 Question

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

TTBS28

6.5 x 47 Question

#1 Postby TTBS28 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 am

Mornin'

In the process of setting up a brand new 6.5 x 47 rig and had planned to run in the new barrel this morning. HOWEVER- last night while attempting to prep some cases for loading I had a problem inserting primers into the cases. Cases are standard Lapua and the pockets have been uniformed using a standard Sinclair 6.5 x 47 uniformer. The brand new Lee Primer tool appears to be functioning properly and I am using the correct "small" tray for the purpose. Primers being used are Federal Premium Match "Small rifle" No GM205SM. Unfortunately the primers insert about a thou or so and will go no further - just enough to be a pain in the butt getting them out. I have tried using the uniformer to excess but nothing makes a difference.
Has anybody had this problem? Maybe the primers are the wrong size - don't know. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards............Jeff. Roberts.

aaronraad

#2 Postby aaronraad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:15 am

Are you getting a similar result with a different priming tool or small rifle primer?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:19 am

Federal primers are soft relative to CCI & sometimes, when using the less engineered priming tools, a tad of misalignment will cause the cup to spring & lock up, though I'm talking LR here, not SR. I've never used small Federals. PMC Russian primers are a tad oversize & I've heard of people having issues seating them with standard seating tools.

I believe that a seater with metal components is the best deal in the long term. They hold cases square & offer up the primer more elegantly. I have both Sinclair and K & M (I got the latter from BRT) & have not had issues since I went that route.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 pm

I would be looking at using thicker cup primers- the CCI BR4's and CCI 450's are the go. Work up to around 37.5gr 2208 carefully with the 450's and 130 bergers and you should find a pretty accurate load.

TTBS28

#5 Postby TTBS28 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks guys for the input.

Aaron - Have not tried any other tools. The Lee looks OK to the naked eye and appears to work OK but maybe this is still a problem. We have a RCBS tool that we have been using for sevaral years in 308 so might give this a try with the small attachment fitted if I can't work it out any other way.

Johnk - Same again - If I can't work it out with what I've got I will look at the K & M from BRT.

Brady - CCI's might also be worth a try. As above wil try this too - it's a cheap try. Also thanks for the load data. Had this load suggested by somebody else too so good to know it works. Have a heap of 130 Berger VLD's on hand ready to go when I get this problem sorted.

At the Club today I had it suggested that I should put a small champher on the lead in to the pocket to help guide the primer in the inital stage of pressing. Any thoughts on this?

Regards..........Jeff.

mike H

#6 Postby mike H » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am

Case and primer support is important,I prime a lot with an old Super Simplex press,the first shellholder I purchased had a groove from the entry side of the holder to the primer hole.Primers seated with that unit were bulged and distorted,a friend gave me a spare one without the bottom groove,it seats perfectly without any bulging.
Mike.

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Jeff

All my 308 ex-mil Lapua brass has a chamfer of sorts given I used a counter sink tool to remove the primer cup crimp. Makes for a very tight seating set-up and the occassional crushed primer due to slight miss alignment. I'm happy enough with the tight seating set-up as I'm under the impression there is less chance of a pressure leak past the primer.

I'm using the Federal Match 210M primers and did find they were softer than the CCI standard and benchrests when I first started handloading.

Regards
Aaron
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”