MEPLAT TRIMMING

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

#16 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Heres some pics of some 105g HYbrids that were NOT trimmed but pointed. These were some of the first bullets that I pointed and photographed for comparison.
From memory, at that stage they were a .020" point on the mic. I've since been pointing them more than that and trimming too.

I thought the jacket distortion caused by over pointing that is described in many conversations was further down the ogive. I thought the impression at the point was just a given regardless.
My two sample bullets from Whidden are very similar to each other.

It looks like I may be over pointing too.

Interestingly in the "Example Performance Analysis" chapter of AB, Bryan has only pointed his 180 VLD's to a .040" meplat, from an approximate .060" standard.

To be honest, these days, my VLD points look more like that of your Hybrids.

bruce moulds

#17 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:54 pm

when you get a pointer, it is so easy to forget the true intent of pointing.
we all started trimming to achieve consistent b.c. for improved vert in our groups. then we discovered that trimming robbed b.c. while failing to uniform it. then came pointing to get the trimmed meplats the same diameter for the purpose of making that part of the drag equation consistent.
so what do we all think? we see tightening the points as a free trip to less wind deflection through smaller points, and forget the original goal.
ballisticians are now starting to question the little change of angle where the ogive is modified by the pointer. from here they say another shock wave starts, increasing drag and also the overturning moment in the bullet.
when I got my pointer I thought I had arrived. subsequent testing has shown be no benefit at all at any range, because other issues override any small gain from pointing.
since going back to the 6.5, I will probable not invest in the new calibre pointing dies.
tony's photo of the whidden pointed sample seems to me to be overdone, or done on a wrong angle pointer. you can just see the shockwave coming off that. whidden obviously understands marketing, because he knows what people want to see, and not what they should see.
the pointed hybrid looks the best in terms of airflow, and could even have the pointer backed off a bit.
with my hoover pointer, I find that if you point the bullet a lot, it fails to drop out of the pointer, due to friction.
a message here? the expanded bit is where the bullet contacts the rifling, and no 2 are the same. in trying to eliminate a variable, I can introduce a worse one if not careful.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:30 pm

DaveMc wrote:I think meplatting and pointing is not a wasted exercise for 900-1000 yard big competitions and have done it. As with Dennis's OCD I believe it is a sum of all the little things that count at 1000 - Shorter range you can get away with a lot more.

However
, just before the Nationals this year I took a new barrel out for a run at 1000 yards - projectiles straight out of the box. I knew the load was working well and wanted to check it before heading to the Queens but didn't want to use my few hundred nicely trimmed and pointed prepared projectiles (getting ready for worlds). 13 shots went in about a 2.5 inch high group at 1000. (electronic target). I thought it must have been a fluke so went out the next day with another 6. Same elevation spread. I then took this barrel to the Nationals and used it only for 1000 yards in lead up and Queens. a 60.7 and 59.7 later and it certainly felt through those shoots that it was holding middle of super V elevation (so 40 odd shots in a row). - no meplatting or pointing and bullets straight from the box but I did run my eye over the loaded rounds like Alan does and removed a few to the short range pile.

Some batches of projectiles however would require culling too many and therefore would be worth doing.

Dave,

I have been to a few F-Open Queens now and recorded the scores of many more. That effort of yours in the 2013 Nationals was the best F-Open Queens performance ever in terms of outright accuracy over the full event. So at the very least, we can say that unpointed bullets are definitely good enough!

Alan :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”