284 neck size

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Steve N

284 neck size

#1 Postby Steve N » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

For a 284 or 284 shehane what neck size reamer should I be looking for? I noticed on the SA F Class interview with Bill Shehane that he recommends a no turn neck of .318. A gunsmith I am looking at has a reamer with a .312 neck which sounds pretty tight. I would prefer not to have to neck turn if possible. Any advice or suggestions from those here that know?

Brad Y

#2 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Un turned brass loaded is about .313" and most reamers tend to be that size so turning is needed. Mine is .318" but I havent had any joy out of this barrel, so cant say if the .318" neck and .220" freebore is a good combo. I believe it will be.

Just remember you will get donuts in 6.5x284 brass necked up and if you run a no turn chamber you might want to look at a .235" freebore and only sizing the top half the neck to avoid them affecting your loads. Otherwise your up for inside neck reaming. Turning would probably be a safer option. You can run the expander mandrel in anytime to push the donut to the outside of the neck and turn it off. If I did it again, I would get a .315" neck just so I didnt need to turn as much but still clean up the necks and get the required clearance. Anytime necking up or down I think turning is a good idea to make sure everything is right.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”