QUICKLOAD software - assistance needed.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

QUICKLOAD software - assistance needed.

#1 Postby ecomeat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Do any ozfclass members have experience using the QUICKLOAD interior and exterior ballistics Programme sold by Neconos in the US, that they would be prepared to share ?
I have just taken delivery of my own copy, and am having a great time doing serious load development enquiry work with it, as well as playing "what if" scenarios. (eg what chamber pressure and velocity would a 32" barrel give me, where my new 280AI that has a 28.5" tube)
Ideally, I would hope that some forum member might be prepared to give me a couple of minutes of their valuable time and experience to answer a couple of questions that I have , by email or phone.
Thanks.
Tony Berry
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bsouthernau

Re: QUICKLOAD software - assistance needed.

#2 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Did you get any off-list replies to this Tony? I've only got the freebie cut-down version you download from the Lapua website - external ballistics only and not all functions enabled - but it still produces some pretty impressive results. I'd be interested to know how the interior ballistics part goes.

Barry

ecomeat

#3 Postby ecomeat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Barry,
No mate....the silence is deafening. I haven't had a single reply. :cry: :cry:
i have done a heap of Google searching and gleaned a fair bit of info, but would still really appreciate a yarn with someone who was familiar with the full programme.
It is certainly fascinating to play the "what if" games.
I have a "new" (well its second hand , originally a 280AI chambered and threaded for Macguru, but only 200 shots) 280AI barrel that Matt Paroz chambered again in 280AI for my BAT action. So after the re-threading i only have 28.5", and QL could show me fairly plainly that i couldnt get anywhere near an Optimum Barrel Time (Chris Long's OBT's) with 180 gr Bergers and any powder, if i wanted to smoke em along at over 2900 fps.
Thats the only reason I want it......to run it flat out as a bit of fun, on really windy days. I will happily use my 284 Win for everything else.
Quickload could show me really easily , with very accurate velocity predictions compared to real life, that i just dont have a long enough barrel to hit one of Chris Longs OBTs.
But according to Quickload, i can get right on an OBT with Berger 168gr VLDs, at a fairly fast 3056 fps but safely within maximum pressure, so that is what i am testing out at 1000 yards at Belmont tomorrow morning :D :D
Craig McGowan kindly invited me to join him, Kelvin Bell and their small crew of desperates for a bright and early start, so i jumped at the opportunity to help me cope with my "Sydney Queens Withdrawl Syndrome".

It also shows me that a full bottle of VV N150 that i was considering selling , will give me a near perfect (well , on paper anyway !) load for my 6 x 47 Lapua with 105 gr Hybrids. Right on an OBT, with 96% "Fill ratio", and 100% propellant burn. Its little slower than I would have chosen, at 3004 fps estimate. I wouldn't have EVER discovered that combination without Quickload. i will do some trial work with that load next week.

So if anybody wants me to run"their load specifications" through Quickload, to get an estimate of Maximum Pressure in psi, plus muzzle velocity, and Barrel time in milliseconds to compare to OBT's i am more than happy to run it through. I just need you to email me :
1)Bullet make and weight
2) Calibre
3) Barrel length
4)Case length
5)COAL, measured from base of case, to the tip of the bullet
6)Powder and charge
7) Jumped or jammed
Edited to add a very critical :
8)case capacity measured with water, of a fireformed, unsized case. Just measure the "dry" weight, then fill and weigh, to give the weight of the water.

Its certainly not foolproof, but on my 280AI and 6 x 47 Lap it is ridiculously close with the m/velocity estimates for known loads.
Not so perfect with my 284 Win....seems to be "out" by 30-50 fps.
But it sure is lot of fun for a grown man to play with ! :lol:
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bolster55

#4 Postby bolster55 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm

PM sent

RonM

#5 Postby RonM » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi, Tony PM sent - hate to see you idle :)
Ron

ecomeat

#6 Postby ecomeat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 pm

RonM wrote:Hi, Tony PM sent - hate to see you idle :)
Ron

Ron,
Got your spec's. Are you well insured :mrgreen: ??
PM me your email address so that I can email you the "outcome of entering your inputs" :shock: :shock:
Tony

Return to “Equipment & Technical”