metplat

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

mongrel284

metplat

#1 Postby mongrel284 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:41 am

Has anyone done experimenting and has good or bad results in metplating bullets. Or are the bullets these days are off good quality.And am i wasting my time?

johnk

Re: metplat

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 am

I meplat my Match Rifle bullets & repoint them with John Whidden gear. I run 210s, either SMKs or Berger VLDs. With the SMKs, by meplatting of the base datum, I can eyeball sort into two logical batches which I surmise relates to ogive relationship to base, ie either boat tail form or parallel body length, but it doesn't seem to matter. I then point to close the tip so there's just a pinpoint opening still visible.

With the Bergers, there seems to be a greater uniformity, so what I'm doing is just cleaning up their pinch trim & the repoint is virtually unnecessary.

In any case, I can't be bothered analyzing the outcome, but my second & third SDs seem to be somewhat tighter. Essentially, it's become a comfort mantra.

bsouthernau

#3 Postby bsouthernau » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:29 am

I gave up on trimming the meplats because I thought I was losing too much BC and these days only point them. Like John I'd recommend the Whidden system but I've got an unwanted Sinclair trimmer with a .30cal bullet sleeve here if you're interested.

Barry

bsouthernau

#4 Postby bsouthernau » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Paul J

I've had two tries at answering your PM on this thread and both seem to have got stuck in my outbox. If you drop an email to bsouthernau@hotmail.com I can get back to you that way.

Barry

mike H

#5 Postby mike H » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:15 pm

I don't,too technical for me,in Match Rifle,the solution is to use A-maxes,though not long back someone asked about pointing them,the answer from someone smarter than me was to try a pencil sharpener.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 pm

bsouthernau wrote:Paul J

I've had two tries at answering your PM on this thread and both seem to have got stuck in my outbox. If you drop an email to bsouthernau@hotmail.com I can get back to you that way.

Barry

Barry,

If a PM is "stuck" in your Outbox, it just means the recipient hasn't got around to reading it. That's how it works.

Alan

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:21 am

AlanF wrote:
If a PM is "stuck" in your Outbox, it just means the recipient hasn't got around to reading it. That's how it works.

Alan

Silly me. Thought they were queued up to go and weren't going.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:02 am

bsouthernau wrote:...Silly me. Thought they were queued up to go and weren't going.

If its any comfort Barry, I get numerous enquiries on this point. They probably should have called it "Unreadbox". :D

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:40 am

That like undead?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”