1-8.5T with 6.5x47Lapua - Anyone running this?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

#16 Postby DaveMc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 am

Shaun,
It is always hard to advise people on these sorts of things in case it goes wrong. So I will tell you my experiences and opinion but please take them with all due caution (make your own mind up and understand everything is a risk).
I built all my 6.5*47's thinking I would try and drive the 140 class bullets at 2800 fps (and kept trying) so went with the 8 twist but ended up settling on the 123 and 130 anyway in each and every one (and all people I know did too). With hindsight in mind I probably would have gone with an 8.5 twist myself and personally think you should be a very happy man if you went that way :D

Quick

#17 Postby Quick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 am

Dave,

I remember reading somewhere that a slower twist can produce better mv and also can be more accurate? Think it was a BR forum or alike. Whats the case there? Im probably not going to worry about the 140gr stuff as everything ive read and heard says that x47 is best with 130gr or around that. But however I would like to try the new 136gr scenars when they come out here in Australia so an 8T maybe safest from that regard.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

aaronraad

#18 Postby aaronraad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 am

Quick wrote:Dave,

I remember reading somewhere that a slower twist can produce better mv and also can be more accurate? Think it was a BR forum or alike. Whats the case there? Im probably not going to worry about the 140gr stuff as everything ive read and heard says that x47 is best with 130gr or around that. But however I would like to try the new 136gr scenars when they come out here in Australia so an 8T maybe safest from that regard.

It will depend what you're trying to achieve to certain extent. In terms of higher mv and accuracy you will have to make a jump to 1:14" +/-. BR rifles have very slow twists down to 1:17" roughly.

The faster the twist the more energy the projectile is using to spin instead of travelling forward. There is a bit to it, but if you look at the JBM BC and Twist calculator it will give you a better idea.
Last edited by aaronraad on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Quick

#19 Postby Quick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Aaron,

I hear what your saying. An extra half an inch probably wont make any difference to the rifle. I'll see what happens. Keep the advice coming guys!

Shaun
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”