McMillan F-class stock issues and others compared?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Cameron Mc

#16 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 pm

ecomeat wrote:[quote=]Ilonger in the arms than Cameron. Although the fact that I have a gut and he is young , trim , muscled ball of energy might effect that ! :D :D
I certainly want to try it a couple of inches longer than my McMillan for starters.

Tony, thank you for the ego boost. One can only dream of days gone.

I must ask Mario if he uses an extended joystick :)

DenisA

#17 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Guys, I really appreciate the feedback and discussion. I was about to can a project stock because of an "idea" of what it should be. Seems that my idea may have been unrealistic and the stock in question may not need stiffening.

I've decided to continue testing it.

Every bodys input was valuable. Thanks.

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 pm

bruce moulds wrote:tony,
you might have a gut, and say that the only good dog is a dead dog, but rumour has it that you are a bit of an old dog :wink:
keep safe,
bruce.

Bruce, this Old Dog seems to be learning new tricks though....... constantly.......... all the time .......... with the winning .......... and the X's.......... retire already, let us younger blokes win some medals! :lol: :lol:

ecomeat

#19 Postby ecomeat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

DenisA wrote:
bruce moulds wrote:tony,
you might have a gut, and say that the only good dog is a dead dog, but rumour has it that you are a bit of an old dog :wink:
keep safe,
bruce.

Bruce, this Old Dog seems to be learning new tricks though....... constantly.......... all the time .......... with the winning .......... and the X's.......... retire already, let us younger blokes win some medals! :lol: :lol:

I am but a simple old country boy who joined the long list of those totally addicted to F Open from the very first time I tried it, just two and a half years ago. I fully intend stumbling along to OPMs and Queens for some time yet to hopefully keep a few of you well equipped young whippersnappers with the fancy gear and the steady hands honest.
:twisted: :lol: ...........and I always did want to see a bit more of Canada :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bruce moulds

#20 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:24 pm

tony,
rumour has it that all country boys are pretty well equipped :shock:
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

ecomeat

#21 Postby ecomeat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Only with weapons, Bruce.........only with weapons! 8-[
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

BATattack

#22 Postby BATattack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

ecomeat wrote:
BATattack wrote:I purchased 2 pr&t low rider stocks firm the US and ended up cutting 3" off of both o
In the end I cut 3 inches off for two reasons 1 was to reduce flex (which it did and is quite stiff considering it's so low and still longer than most) AND so I could actually reach the adjustment on my front rest!! I'm 6" 2" with long arms and I still couldn't make rest adjustment while looking through the scope!! Long forend . . . . Good in theory . . Not in practicality! :-)

Adam,
So what OAL length did you end up with ?
I am thinking 35" or so for myself...I am just under 6' and probably longer in the arms than Cameron. Although the fact that I have a gut and he is young , trim , muscled ball of energy might effect that ! :D :D
I certainly want to try it a couple of inches longer than my McMillan for starters.

I ended up with 38" AFTER cutting 3" off! that would be max length I think anyone could really make use of unless you had some sort of extension on your front rest elevation. I could reach the joystick fine just not the elevation knob.

DenisA

#23 Postby DenisA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 am

Has any body made enquiries or had experience with True Flite's F-Class Barrel Block Stock?

For such a nice looking stock, there doesn't seem to be much on the web about them.

Seddo

#24 Postby Seddo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 am

I have an f class stock on my 223 and its been fine so far, you can squeese it and the barrel together if you try but then i only had the stock inletted for a No8 profile barrel and not a cylinder. I think the fact thats its a 223 woudl make a huge difference. I have a second F Class stock and its going to be a dahser so not a lot of recoil there either.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

AlanF

#25 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 am

These methods of assessing the flex are quite subjective. If it doesn't already exist, someone needs to invent a device to measure the deflection in a standardised manner e.g. deflection at centre of front bag when 1 Kg is applied to the top of the barrel at that point. It could be done with a dial gauge mounted on a fairly simple jig. Would be a good way of assessing different stock-making materials and designs.

DaveMc

#26 Postby DaveMc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 am

It is also the reaction with the front bag - how stiffly packed etc. No doubt also rate of rebound (probably more important) as well as amount of deflection etc. I think it would be hard to measure exactly but rather look at reaction and bounce on video and more importantly what is the result on the target. If rifle is shooting well then no issue. If rifle is not shooting well then it may be worth going though everything you can think of including stock and bag (I know many benchresters do and we tend to have larger recoiling rifles).

I will point out that some rifles bounce and look horrible under recoil but still seem to shoot pretty bloody well.

Barry Davies

#27 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

The stock is a simply supported beam --supported either end --so there will be no deflection at either support, only between the supports. Once a barreled action is added it is no longer supported at either end -rather at one end ( butt ) and at some distance back from the muzzle. A moment is now introduced by virtue of the barrel overhang. Any mass added to the barrel above the front support will only deflect the barrel as the load is down thru the support.

ecomeat

#28 Postby ecomeat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 pm

DenisA wrote:Has any body made enquiries or had experience with True Flite's F-Class Barrel Block Stock?

For such a nice looking stock, there doesn't seem to be much on the web about them.

Couldnt help myself, and slipped them an email. just got their reply
Hi Tony,

Its on our web page under http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/ ... stocks.asp

These are only available in Anodised Black, but can have it all milspec'ed a different coulor at your expense.
Price is $1800.00NZD
Early in the new year carbon fiber is to replace the wooden section (thumbhole, and keel, etc) Suits Barnard P action.
'
Best Regards
Grant Lovelock.

Brad Y

#29 Postby Brad Y » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 pm

I would like a slighly longer wheelbase in that trueflite stock.

Hard to talk about flex and stiffness as I dont own a mcmillan f class. But I think flex and bounce in it would all be relative to the action and barrel you put in it. Brett B and Shaun both have rem actions and HV profile barrels so in essence not really heavy. Seddo sounds in a simlar situation. Where if you put a barnard with a 1.25 straight for 32 inch barrel with a heavy nightforce scope then your going to get more flex I would think.

My barrel block stock is made from hardwood laminate (structural stuff) and sealed and painted. I made it slightly longer than it was originally designed as I wanted as much support as possible. Most of the weight is at the front but I still dont think I get bad flex. We did think about drilling some steel or carbon rod up it, but it just hasnt needed it.

DenisA

#30 Postby DenisA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm

ecomeat wrote:
DenisA wrote:Has any body made enquiries or had experience with True Flite's F-Class Barrel Block Stock?

Couldnt help myself, and slipped them an email. just got their reply
Hi Tony,

Its on our web page under http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/ ... stocks.asp

These are only available in Anodised Black, but can have it all milspec'ed a different coulor at your expense.
Price is $1800.00NZD
Early in the new year carbon fiber is to replace the wooden section (thumbhole, and keel, etc) Suits Barnard P action.
'
Best Regards
Grant Lovelock.

G'day Tony,

I also emailed them this morning and Grant says he has made them for other actions on request.

At NZ $0.93 exchange rate, that's $1669 AUD.

What are your thoughts on the price?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”