Amax 6.5 140 gr Thoughts ??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Amax 6.5 140 gr Thoughts ??

#16 Postby AlanF » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:28 am

bsouthernau wrote:...The 140gr 6.5mm also has the "correct" boat tail angle.

Barry

I'm surprised at that because they have visibly more angle than Scenars, SMKs, Berger Hyb or VLD, and JLK in the 140gn 6.5mm class.

Seddo

#17 Postby Seddo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 pm

bsouthernau wrote:
DaveMc wrote:Mike - read this article

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -accuracy/

The amax projectiles I have tried in various forms have always showed great promise at short range - BUT.....????

I was going to pipe up and say what a wonderful long range bullet the 208gr .30cal A-Max is but then saw that it was specifically excluded from the discussion. The 140gr 6.5mm also has the "correct" boat tail angle.

Barry

I've shot the 208gr amax out of my 300WM to 1400-1500 yards and it was fine. Never got a chance to go any further.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

bsouthernau

#18 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:41 am

AlanF wrote:
bsouthernau wrote:...The 140gr 6.5mm also has the "correct" boat tail angle.

Barry

I'm surprised at that because they have visibly more angle than Scenars, SMKs, Berger Hyb or VLD, and JLK in the 140gn 6.5mm class.

Let me correct my earlier statement. The drawing of the 140gr 6.5mm in Bryan Litz's book shows it as having an 8 degree boat tail angle and I've taken his word for it. Haven't seen one in real life. Mike could set us straight on the matter.

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 am

I must admit, being quite a short boat-tail, it may be deceptive to the eye.

aaronraad

#20 Postby aaronraad » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Frank Green wrote:
AlanF wrote:
MCLE wrote:Hey Alan and Michael! I wouldn't totally rule out the Amax's. Just in the last year another very popular bullet maker had bullets fouling barrels badly. Didn't matter what caliber. We had guys with 6mm's, 6.5's, 7mm's and .30cal. bullets all have fouling issues. I got the customer to try a different lot or a different manufacture and the fouling went away and no more accuracy issues. Seems the jacket material was a softer/different composition/mix in the alloy. I'm not going to name the maker as I still shoot they're bullets in my guns as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Interesting comment Frank!

I received an extremely disturbing email at the start of this month, stating that a certain popular bullet maker decided to accept varying jacket alloy content. I'd be interested to see the XRF spectrum test results for the 'bullets fouling barrels badly' you came across last year. If this is true hopefully, they don't turn up in our next Australian shipment and have well expired before Connaught. I know some of the US BR shooters haven't hesitated to move away from the bullet maker.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

aaronraad

#21 Postby aaronraad » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:26 pm

AlanF wrote:I must admit, being quite a short boat-tail, it may be deceptive to the eye.

Especially compared to some of their other Amax designs. Even the .224-75gr has a longer boat-tail.

The relatively short (0.46 cal) length boat-tail probably isn't the most efficient for it's overall length and bearing surface as a 140gr, and more in line with a sub-125gr. From memory, Hornady seemed to market the early Amax's at the silhouette shooters and given they are limited to 500y/m they probably don't notice any significant issues.

Michael

To squirrel the most out of the 140gr Amax's, the overall length is the key. Compare the barrel twist required for the other longer 140gr VLD's and you should be able to get away with a slower barrel twist and the subsequent advantages. Obviously a foregone conclusion but worth considering if you intend to commit to the projectile with your next barrel.

Sadly you will also be competing with the hunting crowd for the 140gr Amax's. They have a serious 'bang-flop' reputation among long range 260R shooters and the like at more ranges than the other 140gr projectiles on the market.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

MCLE

#22 Postby MCLE » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”