F-Open: cartridge choice.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

#31 Postby IanP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Quick, you need a good barrel vice, (Davidson) and an action wrench. I always use a torque wrench to tension the barrel, (50Nm) once its screwed onto the action. There is no need for a rediculously heavy barrel vice as it will be tensioned with a torque wrench and will be easily removed. If your using a Rem 700 action then Davidson also make an action wrench for it.

If you are using a Rem 700 action and you have never removed the barrel then you will need to use a very special heavy duty action tool to allow the removal of the barrel. I recommend taking it to a gunsmith who has the appropriate tool to remove the barrel for the first time. I have both tools but once the barrel has been removed and the new barrel's threads lubed all you require is the Davidson action wrench.

I use CRC SL3333 extreme pressure engine assembly lube, (grease) on the barrel threads as an anti-seize. I always check the headspsce of the chamber once the barrel is tightened onto the action using my go and no-go gauges for the calibre. This is an essential step and confirms the switch barrel is fully compatible and functional. It should take around 5 minutes to complete a change once you are familiar with what your doing.

Hope this helps!

Ian

Quick

#32 Postby Quick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Ian,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will start looking at getting this gear together as funds allow. Where can you purchase this gear from?
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

AlanF

#33 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Quick,

I don't like putting a dampener on someone who wants to shoot F-Open, but in your opening post you mentioned Omark as your action. I might be wrong but I suspect there might be a good reason why you don't see many Omark shooters switching barrels. It might be something to do with the adapter required between barrel and action, or length of threads, not sure. Perhaps someone with experience with fitting barrels to Omarks can chime in?

The Barnard that Ian has is suitable for switching - I have two Barnards and as long as everything is kept clean, and common sense is used, it works well, but my impression is that not all actions are as easy.

Alan

PS Ian, I think the first fitting of a new barrel to a particular action should always be done by a licensed gunsmith. There's more to it than correct headspace.
Last edited by AlanF on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanP

#34 Postby IanP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Quick wrote:Ian,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will start looking at getting this gear together as funds allow. Where can you purchase this gear from?

Sinclair International http://www.sinclairintl.com/ has all the parts you will need. You need to email their international order section and use a credit card.

In Australia you could try http://www.shooters.com.au/default.asp?c=221139 or any number of other gunshops. Generally its cheaper buying direct from the USA but if you find a local shop that doesn't over price their goods then use them. Generally the Shooting Association Stores like SARA etc offer good value!

Ian

IanP

#35 Postby IanP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 pm

AlanF wrote:Quick,

I don't like putting a dampener on someone who wants to shoot F-Open, but in your opening post you mentioned Omark as your action. I might be wrong but I suspect there might be a good reason why you don't see many Omark shooters switching barrels. It might be something to do with the adapter required between barrel and action, or length of threads, not sure. Perhaps someone with experience with fitting barrels to Omarks can chime in?

The Barnard that Ian has is suitable for switching - I have two Barnards and as long as everything is kept clean, and common sense is used, it works well, but my impression is that not all actions are as easy.

Alan

Alan, I also use a Rem 700 action that works fine as a switch barrel! You will find I speak from experience in the info I offer on forums not from my imagination! Barrels that are switched need to be chambered and fitted by a gunsmith for the action they are to be used on.

Ian

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Ian,

We seem to be a little out of sequence.

You are probably right with the Remington, but it needed to be pointed out re: the Omark (read Quick's first post on this thread).

Alan

Quick

#37 Postby Quick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Alan,

I'm going to make my R700 a switch barrel. That way I done have as much cost involved with building a new rifle. Shoulda made that more clear. I'm going to leave my Omark as is for now and use it for TR when I get the urge to shoot irons.

Ian,

I will have a look at those links and see what the go is. I will be getting a gunsmith to set up the rifke for me so that everything is legal.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Matt P

#38 Postby Matt P » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:47 pm

One thing to look out for when using a 700 and switching barrels is the recoil lug can be an issue if it's not pinned, it can be done without pinning but extra care needs to be taken when reassembling.

Matt P

Quick

#39 Postby Quick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Matt,

From what I have read, I will be getting the lug pinned to make life easier on myself.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

IanP

#40 Postby IanP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Quick wrote:Matt,

From what I have read, I will be getting the lug pinned to make life easier on myself.

This might interest you guys if the recoil lug alignment causes a hassle. I have the action pinned but I also bought this tool http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7653 ... 0-Lug-Tool

Ian

Mark Hamersley

#41 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Alan

I switch barrels on my Omark (6.5mm) on occasions. They have been chambered by a gunsmith beforehand, no calibre switch though.

regards

Mark

AlanF

#42 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 am

Mark Hamersley wrote:Hi Alan

I switch barrels on my Omark (6.5mm) on occasions. They have been chambered by a gunsmith beforehand, no calibre switch though.

regards

Mark

Thanks Mark. I stand corrected. I was imagining having the wrong thread coming undone but I suppose the adapter stays on the action if a lug type wrench is used.

Alan

RAVEN

#43 Postby RAVEN » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Quick if you can afford a Farrel vice thats the go only 2 bolts quick and easy.
I have set my vise up on a 50mm X 50mm tube that fits into my tow bar I can do the change on the range in 5min
RB :D

Matt P

#44 Postby Matt P » Sun May 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Well, I got home from Mackay and once the bags were unpacked, went out to the shed and chambered a new trueflite 6.5 8 twist barrel to 6.5 x 47 Lapua, I shot it yesterday in some very good conditions for a 120.13 using 2 different loads, it seems to be very forgiving caliber to load for and is a very nice thing to shoot (it weighs in @ 7.4kg) but will be even nicer when I get the weight closer to 10kg.

Matt P

BATattack

#45 Postby BATattack » Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 pm

RAVEN wrote:Quick if you can afford a Farrel vice thats the go only 2 bolts quick and easy.
I have set my vise up on a 50mm X 50mm tube that fits into my tow bar I can do the change on the range in 5min
RB :D

i have a davidson barrel vice but if i had to buy again i would get a farrel because it has springs to keep the blocks apart while inserting the barrel and only 2 bolts makes things easyer.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”