Trigger questions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
Bigtravoz
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Trigger questions

#1 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun May 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Okay so I had planned to get a timney 501t tactical trigger for the rifle I am building but the retail price has jumped massively in the last two weeks and it’s now not much more inexpensive than a Shilen competition or jewell BR so I figured I would put the question up here to see what everyone’s suggestions about either of these would be. I know that the jewell is well renowned as a fine trigger and Shilen have always had a good reputation for making good stuff but I don’t have any real world experience with either of these triggers. Can those wit the experience please enlighten me.

Thanks Travis

superx10
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Trigger questions

#2 Postby superx10 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi
I use and recommend jewel triggers have never had a problem and adjust very fine with no kreep. Never used the other too.

Mistit
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am

Re: Trigger questions

#3 Postby Mistit » Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Gday
I’ve had all 3 rated as follows
1/ jewel
2/ shilen
3/ Timney

The timney was a nice trigger but still not a jewel

If you can’t win with a jewel it’s not the trigger that
is the issue :D

Gyro
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Trigger questions

#4 Postby Gyro » Sun May 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Jewell, all day long !!!

Bigtravoz
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#5 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Mistit wrote:Gday
I’ve had all 3 rated as follows
1/ jewel
2/ shilen
3/ Timney

The timney was a nice trigger but still not a jewel

If you can’t win with a jewel it’s not the trigger that
is the issue :D


Was there much between the Shilen and the jewell and what did you like about the jewell that makes you rate it higher.

Barossa_222
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:58 pm
Location: Barossa Valley

Re: Trigger questions

#6 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 am

Bix n Andy hands down

Bigtravoz
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#7 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon May 13, 2019 10:11 am

Barossa_222 wrote:Bix n Andy hands down


I ain’t that rich unfortunately.

Gyro
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Trigger questions

#8 Postby Gyro » Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:
Barossa_222 wrote:Bix n Andy hands down


I ain’t that rich unfortunately.


Sooooo often its actually cheaper to buy the best gear right at the start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigtravoz
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#9 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Gyro wrote:
Bigtravoz wrote:
Barossa_222 wrote:Bix n Andy hands down


I ain’t that rich unfortunately.


Sooooo often its actually cheaper to buy the best gear right at the start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Soooo I bought a jewell!

GSells
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#10 Postby GSells » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Jewel as my primary and I have a timney as a backup! The timney BR is a great trigger and more rugged than a jewel. I’ve broken jewels ( yep I know , I seem to break stuff!) from blown primers . Timney are very reliable but a pain to adjust especially in a panda glue in action.

Jewel great trigger but needs regular maintenance to prevent failures. Keep any grease away from them! But , like I said my first go to for my trigger!

Gyro
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Trigger questions

#11 Postby Gyro » Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... shows-how/

Don't be this shooter ! I was once. I learned.

Bigtravoz
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#12 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Gyro wrote:http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/de-gunking-a-jewell-trigger-speedy-shows-how/

Don't be this shooter ! I was once. I learned.


I had an Omark trigger that looked like that when I bought it. It received a similar treatment.

GSells
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: Trigger questions

#13 Postby GSells » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Wow ! Yep that’s what can happen ! I regularly use diggers shelite and a syringe to pour in through the top of the do Hicky thing that hooks onto the bolt sear . And every 200-300 rounds I’ll pull the whole trigger out and soak in shelite and then pull out and let it drain with trigger shoe downwards . Letting any crud drain out too ! I recently had my jewel fail luckily while testing and the cause was bolt grease under the trigger do hicky engager ( You can tell I’m a Plumber not a gunsmith!) and also rubbish where the pin at the rear holds the trigger into the Kelby trigger housing ! It could have been a Queens or teams event !! That’s why I have a spare timney in a Kelby housing with all of the correct Allen keys ready to change out the jewel! In a hurry !
I’ve had 2 or three fail on me 4 times . 2 from blown primers and the others due to bad maintenance!

All I can say vehemently is !! Don’t use bolt grease at the back of the bolt for the trigger bolt sear to pick up grease and fowel things up and cause a failure to engage the bolt sear .
I just spray the bolt with wd 40 and then wipe down . When I’m cleaning I always clean the bolt race in the action to pick up any crud .

But on the whole a great trigger when maintained !

Gyro
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Trigger questions

#14 Postby Gyro » Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 am

GSells wrote:Wow ! Yep that’s what can happen ! I regularly use diggers shelite and a syringe to pour in through the top of the do Hicky thing that hooks onto the bolt sear . And every 200-300 rounds I’ll pull the whole trigger out and soak in shelite and then pull out and let it drain with trigger shoe downwards . Letting any crud drain out too ! I recently had my jewel fail luckily while testing and the cause was bolt grease under the trigger do hicky engager ( You can tell I’m a Plumber not a gunsmith!) and also rubbish where the pin at the rear holds the trigger into the Kelby trigger housing ! It could have been a Queens or teams event !! That’s why I have a spare timney in a Kelby housing with all of the correct Allen keys ready to change out the jewel! In a hurry !
I’ve had 2 or three fail on me 4 times . 2 from blown primers and the others due to bad maintenance!

All I can say vehemently is !! Don’t use bolt grease at the back of the bolt for the trigger bolt sear to pick up grease and fowel things up and cause a failure to engage the bolt sear .
I just spray the bolt with wd 40 and then wipe down . When I’m cleaning I always clean the bolt race in the action to pick up any crud .

But on the whole a great trigger when maintained !


I wonder if the quick clean of the Jewell trigger might be best done by pouring/spraying the solvent in from the bottom and then blowing or draining from that direction too i.e. doing it with the trigger upside down, as likely the crud/grit came in from the top in the first place ?

I ALWAYS clean my rifle on its side so any cleaning solvent does not drip into the trigger. This trick alone has made a huge difference to the Jewell trigger reliability. I've suggested that trick to some after seeing them have a failure, but they took no notice and instead bought a 'lesser' trigger. Maybe they just don't like being on the podium ?

A good trigger is HUGELY important to good shooting.

scott/r
Posts: 664
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 pm
Location: far south west brisbane

Re: Trigger questions

#15 Postby scott/r » Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 am

Novice trigger cleaner question, after soaking the trigger (barnard) in shellite and drying, do you lubricate it and what with if you do.
Scott.


Return to “Equipment & Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests