Ultrasonic Cleaning Brass

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

MarkS

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning Brass

#16 Postby MarkS » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:22 am

Maybe worth listening to the Berger No BS BC podcasts.
Bryan Litz has done a lot of research on brass prep and cleaning as a professional ballistician and Ko2M competitor seeking extremely low SDs and vertical dispersion downrange.

Both Bryan and Emil Praslick share a tonne of good info on cleaning and cartridge prep that may help you improve the precision of your handloads.
Going broke one primer at a time

Snipe

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning Brass

#17 Postby Snipe » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tip Mark, will search for the podcast.

I was pins tumbling in the small Chinese unit for years but never got rid of the dreaded pocket scraping job.
Got a Super cheap auto ultrasonic that fits more than my tumbler and built up to 2 teaspoons of citric acid and a squirt of dish wash detergent.
5 or 6 of the 4min cycles seem to do it nicely.

I then do the 1hr pins tumble with 1 teaspoon of MP103 burnishing compound from Aussie saphires.
Last 10min is in clean warm water.

Seems a lot of work, but it's quicker than the hours of tumbling needed to clean primer pockets and any carbon spots just fall off in the tumbler.

The shine is a new level if that's what you want, but inside the case and the primer pocket is 100% clean on about 99% of the cases. The odd one with a black spot just falls off when I touch it with a scriber.
They are so clean that inspection is easy and I no longer get that greasy black fail when I would need the clean the pins and tumbler with CT18.
Cases are 100% rinsed from any residual acid and everything with the tumbling and I do it every batch.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”