Myths and Mysticism in Load Development

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DingoDeerHunter

Re: Myths and Mysticism in Load Development

#166 Postby DingoDeerHunter » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:50 am

Tim L

#167 Postby Tim L » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:00 pm

I'm at a loss as to what that video is trying to show, other than the gun seems to be capable of holding about 1 moa across 1 grain of powder. That's acceptable for a hunting gun. It's going to leave you wanting at an f class comp tho.
I remember doing ladder tests on my first 223.
I got it to a bit under 1 moa at 100 and was happy with it. Then I learned about seating depth and did that.
5 thou changes. Not much difference but then, all of a sudden I put 5 rounds through the same hole.
I still load that gun the same and at 100m it still prints a clover leaf every time.

Say what you will, it's going to take a good chunk of TNT to move that experience.

Gyro

#168 Postby Gyro » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:13 pm

Tim L wrote:I'm at a loss as to what that video is trying to show, other than the gun seems to be capable of holding about 1 moa across 1 grain of powder. That's acceptable for a hunting gun. It's going to leave you wanting at an f class comp tho.
I got it to a bit under 1 moa at 100 and was happy with it. Then I learned about seating depth and did that.
5 thou changes. Not much difference but then, all of a sudden I put 5 rounds through the same hole.
I still load that gun the same and at 100m it still prints a clover leaf every time.

Say what you will, it's going to take a good chunk of TNT to move that experience.

Lordy Timothy that's a fail and what were u thinking responding to that video ?

That vid is so bad it doesn't need a response !

Tim L

#169 Postby Tim L » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Gyro wrote:
Tim L wrote:I'm at a loss as to what that video is trying to show, other than the gun seems to be capable of holding about 1 moa across 1 grain of powder. That's acceptable for a hunting gun. It's going to leave you wanting at an f class comp tho.

Lordy Timothy that's a fail and what were u thinking responding to that video ?

That vid is so bad it doesn't need a response !

Ooops
My bad :lol:

wsftr

#170 Postby wsftr » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Interesting as I have had similar experiences. I completely understand what the stats club are stating..but as yet I won't be changing how I do things as the worst I can do is use up some time and components and agree with myself that the science isn't saying the load isn't better just the confidence level is very low - but that is what club days are for.
I've definitely had a load that wouldn't shoot well, I adjusted seating depth by ,003 and tuner by two clicks, that shot tighter at 100 (yes for a small sample) but subsequent club days and nats said it was better.
According to stats and science those small adjustments are all noise at best.
Maybe it was something else that caused it to shoot better to the extent I was happy to take it to nats but thats a pretty big coincidence.
I think that year I topped x count at nats or very close anyways.

I am gonna try on a gun the stats method of pick a safe load and go shoot it to see how it compares to my tuned guns over a season..why cause if they are right it'll save me components.

Gyro

#171 Postby Gyro » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:20 am

And if the data is being collected off a suspect platform like in the vid above then more data can mean anything ?

wsftr

#172 Postby wsftr » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:03 pm

Gyro wrote:And if the data is being collected off a suspect platform like in the vid above then more data can mean anything ?

mmm not so sure about that. To what standard does the platform have to be for analysis of this nature?
All I read into it was that .5 grain increments could not be detected as having high level of confidence as to one charge being better than another with what he was shooting.
It could be but you would need to shoot a lot more ammo to have a high level of confidence.
Similar shitty platforms showed differences in ammo I think it was in another video and the stats agreed, interesting it was also obvious to the eye.

Gyro

#173 Postby Gyro » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:26 pm

Mate, at least use a serious gun/platform if u r doing a test ? That guy is not using one. He's using a Gaymore/needsmore ...... doesn't that tell u enough ?

wsftr

#174 Postby wsftr » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:07 pm

Gyro wrote:Mate, at least use a serious gun/platform if u r doing a test ? That guy is not using one. He's using a Gaymore/needsmore ...... doesn't that tell u enough ?

TBH nope..one mans shooter is another mans POS. hunting rifle vs FO vs FTR VS shortrange bench vs long range bench vs rail gun, custom components or factory...whats ya standard?
and how small should it be shooting before you can test..

:? :? :? :?

Gyro

#175 Postby Gyro » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:47 pm

Producing a pile of data off a very average platform is not drilling down into the stuff that really determines precision. Simple. Mate I'm bored, I'm off to have a shower, go to bed and read my book. Regards Rob K.

wsftr

#176 Postby wsftr » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:54 pm

Gyro wrote:Producing a pile of data off a very average platform is not drilling down into the stuff that really determines precision. Simple. Mate I'm bored, I'm off to have a shower, go to bed and read my book. Regards Rob K.

no disagreement - but not related to the point that was being made.
enjoy ya bed time read :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”