Alliant/Reloader powder

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Frank Green

Alliant/Reloader powder

#1 Postby Frank Green » Fri May 31, 2024 2:06 am

Just a fyi for you all.

I don't know what the availability is of Alliant/Reloader series of powder is by you all or how much you use it but this is what I was told last week.

Until further notice any of this powder will no longer be made available to the market for reloading. All of this powder will only be sold to ammunition makers.

JezL

Re: Alliant/Reloader powder

#2 Postby JezL » Fri May 31, 2024 9:21 am

Thanks Frank ... is this due to shortages of nitrocellulose wordwide ? or due to Alliant being sold or bought from another company?
Regards,
Jez

Frank Green

#3 Postby Frank Green » Fri May 31, 2024 10:55 am

JezL wrote:Thanks Frank ... is this due to shortages of nitrocellulose wordwide ? or due to Alliant being sold or bought from another company?

I think it is due to the shortages of nitrocellulose and the two on going wars and the plant blowing up didn’t help anything.

Russia at the beginning of the war the first year imported 2 million pounds of nc. Last year they imported just over 6 million pounds. They are really trying to close loop holes from Russia importing anymore.

The average 105mm howitzer round from what I understand here in the US consumes 28# of nc. They/we are making artillery ammo at a record pace right now.

Frank Green

#4 Postby Frank Green » Fri May 31, 2024 10:57 am

From what I heard out of shot show was that the ammo makers here in the US where told they were only going to get 1/3 of the powder they requested from the powder manufacturers for 2024 and most likely 2025.

Even if the ammo makers get their supply cut by just 1/3…. People like you and I reloading are going to feel the pinch as well.

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Fri May 31, 2024 11:15 am

I can't help but notice the irony.
For all these years the anti gun lobbyhave been trying to impose restrictions so people can't kill people.
Now an effective restriction occurs, and it's so,,,, people can kill people on a mass scale!!!

willow

#6 Postby willow » Fri May 31, 2024 8:35 pm

Thanks for the update Frank. Alliant powder, well at least the good ones have been out of stock here for some time now, so aside from a few lucky souls who have hoarded some away, the rest of us have learnt to live without it and stick with the good old ADI powders. There's some Vihtavhouri powders now available, but $1000 for 8 pounds...not many have pockets that deep.

Mick S

#7 Postby Mick S » Fri May 31, 2024 10:38 pm

I got a notification from cleavers last week that they have quite a few RL powders in stock

Frank Green

#8 Postby Frank Green » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:54 am

willow wrote:Thanks for the update Frank. Alliant powder, well at least the good ones have been out of stock here for some time now, so aside from a few lucky souls who have hoarded some away, the rest of us have learnt to live without it and stick with the good old ADI powders. There's some Vihtavhouri powders now available, but $1000 for 8 pounds...not many have pockets that deep.

Unfortunately that's where I see things headed over here as well.

Rich4

#9 Postby Rich4 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:19 am

The Barn also had some, I figured it was a last ditch.
As expensive as it is it should be weighted against the potential shortage length, I don’t think we’ll see any change while the current conflicts rage and there is definitely a chance to get worse.

superx10

#10 Postby superx10 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:41 am

Here is a link to a gun store that has a fair bit of powder in stock.

https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... 2208-1-kg/

Return to “Equipment & Technical”