Q: Has anyone tried these sierra 6.5mm projectiles ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Q: Has anyone tried these sierra 6.5mm projectiles ?

#1 Postby macguru » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:40 pm

has anyone tried these sierra 6.5mm projectiles : 150gr matchkings ? how did they go, and what twist did you use ?
id quod est

Drop shot

Re: Q: Has anyone tried these sierra 6.5mm projectiles ?

#2 Postby Drop shot » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:23 pm

I'm trying to get hold of some for a 6.5 PRC.

I was talking to a guy in the US on snipers hide about them. They are a deviation from the typical tangent Ogive of SMKs so they are more jump sensitive but have a higher BC as a result (on paper).

Copy paste below.

"They are recommended as a 1/7.5 minimum but that makes em just stable. Go straight to 6.5 or 7 for Creedmore. 8 twist is good for PRC.

Compared to 153.5gr Bergers

Bergers have a lower BC. BC of the Bergers was truer to real life results than the SMKs which were slightly lower than the claimed .713. The Bergers being a hybrid design were easier to tune. The matchkings weren't as finicky as a true VLD though

Bergers tolerated being seated deeper in the case more than the Sierra's did.

for Creedmore they are right at the edge for cartridge and bullet weight. My 26" barrel got them out there at 2683fps average. They are better than 147gr ELD-M you got. Matchkings are way more consistent. The fuckers are long though. Too long for mag feeding. I'm single feeding in a Savage Model 10. COAL is almost 3". Had to throat the barrel longer. FWIW, i don't think the target market was you tactical guys. 147s will still feed from a mag. If you want to hit steel and you're happy with just hitting the target, Bergers or Matchkings are overkill"

Return to “Equipment & Technical”