Range energy limits v's wind deflection

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

Range energy limits v's wind deflection

#1 Postby PeteFox » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:02 pm

In a recent post - 300PRC Build ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15756) a claim was made that big heavy bullets were better for resisting wind deflection - no argument from me there, given we are talking about proper target bullets etc.
But that thread diverged into a discussion on range energy limits. that made me curious to know, What was the effect of range energy limits on choosing the bigger bullet, and were bigger bullets still better when their velocities had to be reduced to stay within the 3500 ft/lbs now mandated for a lot of ranges?

I chose a range of popular Berger bullets from 6mm>30Cal.to compare and produced the table below. The table shows the wind deflection of a range of bullets at max energy/velocity at 1000 yards for a 10mph crosswind.

It demonstrates a few things:
The reduction in velocity required by the energy limit reduces the advantage of larger bullets, but it is still an advantage.
The 140 Berger Hyb is marginally better than the 7mm's but only at barrel burning speeds.
In 30 cal, you have to load a 245gn bullet to match the 7mm, it would be a very expensive option and probably hard on the shoulder.
The 7mm's aren't restricted much by the energy limits for common cartridges.
The 190gn Berger is king if you can get it to shoot.
It demonstrates that 7mm is still the go to calibre because its on range ballistics are unmatched by 30Cal and 6.5mm at the subject energy limit if you confine yourself to sensible options.

energy limits2.jpg

If you want to read some interesting stuff on ballistics and increasing bullet weights try this article by Geoffrey Kolbe >>. http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/articles/art1.htm

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”